Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hi,

I have the dreaded screen flickering issuse on my macbook 2,1 2ghz. Its got to the point where its starting to drive me nuts. My macbook is well out of warrenty so i've decided to have a go at this myself. I'm used to taking laptops apart but never my beloved macbook.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to replace the inverter board and where its located.

I'm in the UK and have seen some inverters on eBay US that with shipping would come to about £15 over here in the UK there about £40 so i think i'm going to try one from the US will this be a problem or will the parts still be the same?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this to see how hard it was for them and provide me with any tips that they can

Thanks in advance

Ben

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
A few people on here have tried that method - it is almost impossible to do....most have given up and taken the screen off.

When you try to assemble it things are even worse because the hinge-cover does not sit right and ends up looking terrible.

If you use the ifixit guides it will take probably an hour, maybe 90 minutes to replace the inverter.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks logana,

I worry that i'd have trouble putting it back together again..

we'll see.

Thanks

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Just to keep you updated I have successfully replaced the inverter in my macbook and so far everything seems good.

It took me about 2 hours in total. Taking it apart was the easy bit . . replacing the inverter was soooo simple . . putting it all back together again was a nightmare!

If you are thinking about doing this then be patient! and label all the screws you take out!

Ben

Flynmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Test it?

Is there a way to test the inverter once its out? Seems like it could be the cable or the backlight itself.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I have no idea. I have the inverter and cable that i took out and would love to be able to test it to see if that was really the problem.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
If you are thinking about doing this then be patient! and label all the screws you take out!

My top tip for this is to use an empty egg carton, or better still a box of chocolates, so you can store the different screw sizes (and even locations) in particular parts of the box. Also, you can reward yourself with a chocolate afterwards if that is what you use for the screws.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You must be relieved that it is all back together - it will be quicker next time !!

Sounds like the inverter was faulty although possible the inverter to logicboard cable might have been contributing !!

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
My top tip for this is to use an empty egg carton, or better still a box of chocolates, so you can store the different screw sizes (and even locations) in particular parts of the box. Also, you can reward yourself with a chocolate afterwards if that is what you use for the screws.

I put the screws on a piece of paper and circled them with the corresponding number on the ifixit guide...

nerve2

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
macbook 13.3" core duo

Hey, I was looking at this posting as I am having the screen flicker problem as well. I was looking into replacing my inverter and I saw the iFixit guide, I saw that it said Core 2 Duo and I was wondering if there would be any differences in the guide because I have a Core Duo.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I have my Macbook in for repair getting the inverter replaced... I have a Rev A Macbook from 2006 and this is the second time I'm getting it replaced. :rolleyes:

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
the inverter wont fix it

I had my inverter replaced twice and my screen replaced once and the flickering was still there, apple then issued me a replacement

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Got my Macbook back from Apple... screen is still flickering. :mad: Got a new keyboard though. I've already had it checked out twice. If I bring it back a 3rd time, under what grounds can I request a replacement?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Got my Macbook back from Apple... screen is still flickering. :mad: Got a new keyboard though. I've already had it checked out twice. If I bring it back a 3rd time, under what grounds can I request a replacement?
Ermm...
They should've fixed it the first two times. Call Public Relations and speak to them politely.
http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/
If you MacBook is still under warranty, you should be able to get them to replace it.
Good Luck!

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
OP here . .

I ended up selling this macbook on eBay for £550 and then brought a macbook from the refurb store for £529 . . .

Got a years warranty this way and the latest revision.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Ermm...
They should've fixed it the first two times. Call Public Relations and speak to them politely.
http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/
If you MacBook is still under warranty, you should be able to get them to replace it.
Good Luck!
I called Janette (specializes in notebooks) and she's out on vacation until the 5th. Should I just call Applecare instead, or will they not help me?

Update: I called Applecare and they told me the Genius that worked on my computer didn't do anything to replace the inverter, so I'm going to have to bring it back to the Apple Store. I'm really frustrated with this whole situation... anyone have any ideas about someone else I can talk to?

suckerpunchme

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
Changing 13" MacBook inverter is easy as pie (15 minutes)

SERIOUSLY? :eek: Changing the inverter is not as complicated as this thread makes it out to be! You do not need to remove the screen! I don't know what you all are smokin' but changing the inverter is not rocket science! And I'm not even a tech genius.

I just replaced the inverter on my MacBook 13" in 3 steps in 15 minutes because the screen went dark.

Apple wanted to charge me almost $300 bucks for a $10 dollar part off eBay and 15 minutes worth of labor, if that.

I used the link jamin100 provided going through the screen:
http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,macbook.shtml

I took me no more than 15 minutes start to finish and all I needed was a small phillips head screwdriver. And really, I only needed to go through 3 steps of that link. Remove screen cover, remove 3 screws, pry off plastic hinge cover. Replace inverter, put plastic hinge cover back on (you have to be a little rough to get it back in place), put 3 screws back in, snap in screen cover. That's it! It's all flush, lined up and looks as good as new. And my screen works again! :)

I don't understand what all this other talk is about literally taking your whole computer apart just to change the inverter. It's right there! Easy, even a 3 year old could do it. Once you remove the hinge cover, the inverter is just sitting there. There's no screws, nothing blocking it, all you have to do is unplug the little cable clips on each end, which you can do by hand, swap out the inverter, plug the cables back in... and whalla!

The most difficult part is the hinge cover. You have to be a little rough to wiggle it out and not break the little plastic clips that keep it lined up, same thing putting it back in place. But it's not difficult, and even if you did break the clips, it'd still line up just fine once the screws are in place.

I would of been so frustrated going through the process everyone else here has mentioned. Now replacing other parts? Who knows... but the inverter is first grade stuff. Don't believe the hype!

MLE425

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
I have a 2006 13" MacBook with the backlight not working. I replaced the inverter board and it didn't fix the problem. The cables looked okay, but I didn't replace them, so I can try this...The screen flashes when I turn it on, so I don't think the bulb is out... Anything else to check before taking it in to Apple? There are a lot of other things wrong with the computer (wireless not working and the case around the keyboard is all cracked), so I am not sure how much money I want to sink into it...

Thanks!

rafatmit

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Washington DC
I just changed out the inverter board in my girlfriend's macbook in about 15 minutes, going through the screen bezel as described above. Totally trivial. The downside is that you can't change the cable that way.

Nickmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Hi!

For those who changed the inverter board: could you SEE that there was something wrong with it? Something burn for example?

Also, before changing it, can I be sure that it is the problem, and not the bulb, or some cable?

My screen just went dark suddenly, I heard come very weak sound and there was a slight odor of burned. I can see everything on my computer, but it is very very dim.

Thank you for your help!

Nickmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Additional info:
the screen always had flickering probems, and Apple replaced the screen 3 times. The last time the week when the warranty ended. That was 6 months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.