Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naethyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
This is a solution for those people who have made their iPhone looping the boot logo error.

Put iPhone in DFU Mode >> Connect to iTunes >> iTunes will recognize your iPhone as an iPhone in recovery(DFU) mode >> Make sure that you have the 3.1.2 Software downloaded on your computer >> Shift Click "Restore" in the iPhone tab, locate your firmware (.ipsw) file and use it to "Restore" >> Restored >> After Restore, your iPhone will come up as "Username's" iPhone, >> A screen will say "Set Up as New Phone," or "Back up phone from latest back up" and a drop down list will pop up showing the back up.

READ THIS: Make sure that your iDevice is recongized as a iPhone in Recovery Mode > basically > if it is not recognized in iTunes try another computer or another cord, or a known 2.0 USB outlet in your computer/mac. If it is still not being recognized by iTunes and your iDevice is showing the connect to iTunes screen try again, or switch between Recovery and DFU mode.

DFU Mode (Do this while connected to computer)

Power on (Hold Power, a couple seconds)
WITHOUT LETTING GO
Hard Reset (Power and Home, till Blank Screen)
WITHOUT LETTING GO
Home (Hold Home)

You will receive a message in iTunes "This i(Device) was located in Recovery Mode, please perform a restore."

Recovery Mode (2 Ways)

1st Way:
Hard Reset
Without Letting Go
Push Power On
AS SOON APPLE LOGO COMES ON (OR QUICKLY BEFORE)
Hold Home

You'll see the Recovery Mode Screen

2nd Way:

HARD RESET

Home Home while plugging iPhone into the computer

Recovery Mode Screen appears.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
A semi-bricked iPhone is as descriptive as a semi-boneless ham, or maybe semi-pregnant.:rolleyes:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I refer to it as semi-bricking because it basically bricks it, with an ability to be recovered, as not all Bricked iDevices are recoverable.

Correction: NO bricked iDevice is recoverable. Any device that can be recovered by any means, including any of the ones you describe, is by definition not bricked. The phones you are talking about are neither bricked nor "semi-bricked"; they are simply in a boot loop.

In case you are interested, it has not been possible (barring hardware failure) to brick an iPhone since the introduction of DFU mode.

Naethyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah but since half the people who go here looking for information think their phone has become an iBrick they do not know the term boot loop. DFU Mode puts the phone in recovery mode without even turning the phone on am I correct? So technically if you get bricked you can easily get out of the brick.

I really just wanted to post this procedure because it will help a lot of people. Its a simple procedure that YouTube videos and Apple make look extremely complex when its basically putting your iDevice in recovery mode before restoring it.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah but since half the people who go here looking for information think their phone has become an iBrick they do not know the term boot loop. DFU Mode puts the phone in recovery mode without even turning the phone on am I correct? So technically if you get bricked you can easily get out of the brick.

I really just wanted to post this procedure because it will help a lot of people. Its a simple procedure that YouTube videos and Apple make look extremely complex when its basically putting your iDevice in recovery mode before restoring it.
That's an extremely simplified explanation of DFU mode, but I guess it works for the lay-person.

Officially, it allows you to force a firmware payload onto the device without iBoot (iPhone OS's bootmanager) starting.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't think you help anyone by perpetuating misconceptions and presenting false information. Instead of clouding your post with fuzzy technical details, misused (and invented!) technical terms, and the misleading idea that what you are offering is a cure for bricked phones, you should just present it a basic troubleshooting procedure for phones that won't boot.

Naethyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Okay, ill change it for helping iPhones that dont boot. Jeez, no need to get all pissy.

w143

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
>> Make sure that you have the 3.1.2 Software downloaded on your computer >> Shift Click "Restore" in the iPhone tab, locate your firmware (.ipsw) file and use it to "Restore"

I thought you cannot do shift-restore with older firmware (e.g.: 3.1.2) as Apple will verify it online and won't sign it? Unless you have custom firmware created from pwnage tool recovery. Correct me if I am wrong.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I thought you cannot do shift-restore with older firmware (e.g.: 3.1.2) as Apple will verify it online and won't sign it? Unless you have custom firmware created from pwnage tool recovery. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is true for the 3Gs (and other new bootrom idevices) and the OP should definitely mention this if he would like his guide to be useful.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
This is true for the 3Gs (and other new bootrom idevices) and the OP should definitely mention this if he would like his guide to be useful.

He should also mention Saurik's method for spoofing the TSS server as well as Umbrella/TinyTSS (either of which can make it possible for people with saved SHSHs to shift-restore to 3.1.2).

Or, instead of reinventing the wheel, he could just point people to iClarified:

How to Soft Reset (Turn Off) Your iPhone

How to Hard Reset Your iPhone

How to Put an iPhone Into Recovery Mode

How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS Using a Cydia Saved SHSH [Windows]

How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS Using a Cydia Saved SHSH [Mac]

Naethyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
I was trying to be a helpful newbie and use this to stop from being the group of people who constantly asks for help. Well I made this and now I am not getting any good jobs, you did well. Glad to see you are helping, but hey whatever.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I was trying to be a helpful newbie and use this to stop from being the group of people who constantly asks for help. Well I made this and now I am not getting any good jobs, you did well. Glad to see you are helping, but hey whatever.

But you must understand that posting incomplete, inaccurate or misleading information is not a good job.
It is in fact counter productive to helping and should be corrected, otherwise it leads to the misunderstandings around all things JB, including mistakes you yourself have made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.