Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hello gents
Title says most of it; to clarify, is there a way (via some form of app or dedicated iPad directory to allow this) to browse on the iPad and download a file directly to the iPad, natively and solely using the iPad without any external assistance?

Tinnitusdoc

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
OMG he's german
Yes, there is.
Get the good reader app.

Then in your browser simply type the letter "g" in front of the http and press return.
The file will be downloaded into the good reader app.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, there is.
Get the good reader app.

Then in your browser simply type the letter "g" in front of the http and press return.
The file will be downloaded into the good reader app.

Excellent! Thankyou very much:D Just about to pre-order my iPad (since they're not being released in Australia till the 28th). Trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB 3G versions. In anyone's experience, would I need the extra space? I plan to use this mostly as a laptop replacement.

btw, about good reader, I don't suppose if you download an mp3 or .mov using it that I can access it on the iPad without the help of my desktop facilities?
Again, I extend my gratitude.

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Excellent! Thankyou very much:D Just about to pre-order my iPad (since they're not being released in Australia till the 28th). Trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB 3G versions. In anyone's experience, would I need the extra space? I plan to use this mostly as a laptop replacement.

btw, about good reader, I don't suppose if you download an mp3 or .mov using it that I can access it on the iPad without the help of my desktop facilities?

My father always says: go for the best you can with the money you've got.

I considered the 32Gb over the 64Gb, but then went for the 64Gb because I want to ram it chock full of media.

With GoodReader, the items downloaded are contained within the GoodReader app. If you download a movie, a music file, these will not be added the iPod or Videos app. So you will be able to access them, they will just be accessed like a file within a filesystem.

As for it replacing a laptop, the best experience would be to have a laptop/desktop and see the iPad as an extension to those.

Hope this helps.

Tinnitusdoc

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
OMG he's german

You're welcome :D

Mp3 and movies, unless you download directly via iTunes must go through your laptop.

One of my favorite apps is air video, let's you stream all your videos from your desktop (in any format!) to tour iPad/iPhone via wifi/3G.

And laptop replacement ... Well, I tried that for myself, but it doesn't quiet work, don't get me wrong, I thinks it's a fabulous device, but no direct printing, no easy word processing....
Like crut wrote, I use it as an extension for my computers (professionally and private use), mails, taking notes, scheduling appointments (synched via mobile me), research, simple filesystem, etc.

And I already ran into some problems because of lack of memory with my iPhone and some hard drives, so if possible I'd go for the 64.
Right now I have a 32 gig and about 10 gigs of free space and I have it for less than 20 days :

Hope you'll enjoy yours as I (and my kids) do mine.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My father always says: go for the best you can with the money you've got.

But I bet he also says "waste not, want not" too. The 64GB iPad is not "better" than the other models, it just has more storage. Storage needs vary from person to person. I have a ton of stuff on my 32GB iPad- 5 movies, 50 apps, 6 books, a dozen PDF manuals. I haven't even broken 10GBs yet -- doubt I ever will.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Another option is iCab. An alternative browser (with tabs).

It allows you to download files to it's internal storage. These files can be sent to another app if you like (for instance goodreader for pdf, or a comic reader for comicfiles)

You can also grab those files with itunes when you connect your ipad.

Too bad it's webkit usage means that you can't upload those files you've downloaded (could be handy... if you download a torrent file, and then want to upload it to your downloadserver through the webinterface)

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
But I bet he also says "waste not, want not" too. The 64GB iPad is not "better" than the other models, it just has more storage. Storage needs vary from person to person. I have a ton of stuff on my 32GB iPad- 5 movies, 50 apps, 6 books, a dozen PDF manuals. I haven't even broken 10GBs yet -- doubt I ever will.

My iTunes music library is 25Gb alone.

Put some feature length iPad encoded videos on there at ~1Gb a pop, and suddenly you are out of space with 32Gb.

I've gone for the 64Gb due to the current storage requirements and future growth.

That being said, I've got a 2Tb HDD in my iMac and struggling to use more than about 600Gb of space.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Put some feature length iPad encoded videos on there at ~1Gb a pop, and suddenly you are out of space with 32Gb.

I've gone for the 64Gb due to the current storage requirements and future growth.

Again, that is you. What is good for you isn't a perfect fit for all. For example, I do not keep any music on my iPad b/c it's already on my iPhone. If I'm out, I have my iPhone w/ me and may or may not have my iPad. If I'm home, I have a real stereo w/ real speakers playing lossless audio.

Video for me is coming out to about 1GB per hour. How many movies can I watch in a week? I don't have that much time. I rarely can even watch a movie straight though w/o getting some interruption.

Growth is, for me, a non-issue. By the time I would decide I need more space the 2011 models will be out. I don't buy gadgets w/ the intent on keeping them more than a year. It's a constant eBay and buy. I tell everyone I don't buy gadgets, I just self-finance leases.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

That being said, I've got a 2Tb HDD in my iMac and struggling to use more than about 600Gb of space.

only 600gb :rolleyes: i have roughly 100GB of music and i only opted for the 16GB WiFi - i have an ipod for my music i dont need another device lol.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
whoa i had no idea goodreader could download from the internet!

this is officially the best 99 cents i've ever spent on an app

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
only 600gb :rolleyes: i have roughly 100GB of music and i only opted for the 16GB WiFi - i have an ipad for my music i dont need another device lol.

This is how I see it too. I have a fairly large (although not HUGE like some people seem to have - I delete stuff if I'm obviously never going to watch/listen to it again) media collection. It's NEVER going to all fit on the 64GB iPad so I'd have to pick and choose what to put on in any case.

Some people need to load their iPads with every piece of media they own... I don't see the point. I'll just be loading onto it what I think I'll use until I can sync again.

I've bought the 32GB but think I could've probably made do with the 16GB.

On topic :p Goodreader is a great app indeed. I don't use it as much as some people seem to, but it's good to have it there.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
This is how I see it too. I have a fairly large (although not HUGE like some people seem to have - I delete stuff if I'm obviously never going to watch/listen to it again) media collection. It's NEVER going to all fit on the 64GB iPad so I'd have to pick and choose what to put on in any case.

Some people need to load their iPads with every piece of media they own... I don't see the point. I'll just be loading onto it what I think I'll use until I can sync again.

I've bought the 32GB but think I could've probably made do with the 16GB.

On topic :p Goodreader is a great app indeed. I don't use it as much as some people seem to, but it's good to have it there.

woops i meant "i have my ipod for music" (not ipad).

i will only put the music i listen to mostly on - 16GB should cover that nicely. i have +1TB of movies and whatnot, so nothing will hold all that lol..

another vote for goodreader? nice :D i cant wait to check it out!

thomasjon

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Goodreader Rocks

Just learned a new trick last night. Sign up for a Dropbox Account, put a Torrent Folder and an NZB Folder in Dropbox. Have Sabnzbd and Transmission Monitor those folders. Then browse with Goodreader the Web for your favorite torrent or NZB files, download them paste into Dropbox and wala it is downloading automatically on your Main Computer. I have a mini media server running 24/7 at the house. Goodreader is the best app for the price.

ausdan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Australia
I have a question regarding downloading files with GoodReader. It works perfectly well if the webpage download link links directly to the file you want. However, what about sites like VersionTracker eg If I want to download TextSoap, I go to this page http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10317290

However, if I click the "Download Now" link, it works on my computer's browser because it opens a new page and downloads the file there. However, it only downloads some sort of link using GoodReader. Is it possible to download files from this website on my iPad?

TIA

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
ausdan said:
I have a question regarding downloading files with GoodReader. It works perfectly well if the webpage download link links directly to the file you want. However, what about sites like VersionTracker eg If I want to download TextSoap, I go to this page http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10317290

However, if I click the "Download Now" link, it works on my computer's browser because it opens a new page and downloads the file there. However, it only downloads some sort of link using GoodReader. Is it possible to download files from this website on my iPad?

TIA

Just tried it and it worked fine.

BreezyTown

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Uploading from iPad to internet

Best example:

I am trying to apply for a job and upload my resume...I have it saved in drop box but Internet doesnt even allow me to select the button that says "choose a file"

Is this even possible on my iPad or do I have to use my laptop for this?

Exact opposite action of what was originally asked.

Thanks much!!!!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Best example:

I am trying to apply for a job and upload my resume...I have it saved in drop box but Internet doesnt even allow me to select the button that says "choose a file"

Is this even possible on my iPad or do I have to use my laptop for this?

Exact opposite action of what was originally asked.

Thanks much!!!!

iCab should do the trick for you. It has a download manager, supports uploading and integrates nicely with Dropbox or Goodreader.

BreezyTown

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Icab

I assume you're referring to icab hd and not icab mobile. Correct me if I'm wrong....

If I'm right, they are asking for https server number...where can I find that number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.