Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerome65

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
Ohio
Visual Studio 2010 is already released. (Not to mention in it was in beta for quite some time before that, so its development history isn't exactly secret.)

Unless they're releasing Visual Studio 2011 (two months after the 2010 version!) or making one heck of a serious "add-on" for 2010, I really doubt this.

But it would be cool.

I'm sure they would do it as an add-on, it would cost too much to do a VS 2011 unless they are doing that specifically for the Mac platform.

Tanguyvd

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
SPOILER * SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *SPOILER *

I will post it again because no one is listening

Hasn't anyone been paying attention lately, This will be about implementing silverlight video on the iPhone and iPad from a server perspective.

Search the stories from March 2009 last year.

So everyone can calm down now.....

this will be interesting: iphone + microsoft working on silverlight instead of flash and against google...
this will stress the change of filosophy of creativeness (adobe) and open-mind (google-in-the-good-ol'-search-engine-days) Apple was aiming at not more than a few years ago...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Ballmer is the greatest idiot in computing history, this is going to be funny!

tedhogan

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2006
This is a brilliant move on Microsoft's part.

Remember, developers have always been extremely important to Microsoft. They target developers. This move erases the demand that developers move from a Windows based dev environment to a Mac one. It keeps developers on Windows.

It's much better to have your developers slinging code for a competitor's system from your system than theirs. This keeps them engaged on your home turf and not the enemy encampment.

With virtualization, Mac devs can develop for .net. But, the equivalent does not exist the other way around. Up until now, you HAD to get a Mac (or Hack, but I don't think many devs would go that route).

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
I think this would be great if it happens. Didn't SJ say, "It isn't necessary for Microsoft to lose for Apple to win."? Welcome to the party, Microsoft. Bring your best talent.

Hey, iPhone is using MS's Exchange server now, so the symbiosis already exists...

Yeah... but you know, herp derp MS sucks amirite guys????? :rolleyes:

Anyways, VS 2010 for Mac would be absolutely awesome news!

carbmac

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Let's see what else this could be...

- DirectX for Mac ? The way things go these days, Mac OS is getting more and more attention from game publishers..

- On the same subject, but a different approach.. Microsoft Games for Windows now to also includes Games for Mac, with support for "Live" system ? :)

- Windows 7 API embedded in Mac OS 10.7 ? Eliminating the need for VMWare and other applications of that kind.

- Now that MacBU is the under the Business division (I fail to remember the exact name of the unit), we'll get the full Office suite, including One Note, Publisher, Access, etc.. ?

- Silverlight dev environment, special edition for Mac OS ?

Ray

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
OR maybe Apple is going to eliminate Google off their OS & introduce Bing!:)

Sounds about right. MS have a search engine, Apple don't. Apple wish to remove the revenue stream going to google.

The interesting bit is that this then just provides MS with the revenue stream and makes iAd in terms of a holistic tool (search and in-app advert management) a bit of a damp squib.

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
I.B. Phoolen

Not happening, based on the original blog on this subject, posted on April 1 by I. B. Foolin. Seems our analyst read that post and failed to recognize that it was an April Fool's joke.

Bellevue, Wash., April 1 – Declaring a “bright new day for our friends in Macintosh-Land,” Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today unveiled Visual Studio 2010 for Mac OS X, expected to be available this summer.

Speaking to a full crowd at the Meydenbauer Center, Ballmer reminded the audience that Microsoft is one of the oldest and most competitive ISVs for Apple’s Macintosh platform. The company’s Excel spreadsheet software first appeared for the Mac in 1985, he bellowed, two full years before Microsoft released a Windows version. “We never stopped loving the Mac,” he shouted, waving an iPhone. “Every day, our Windows 7 dev team is inspired by the great work being done by the visionaries in Cupertino.”

Standing in front of a giant poster of the new Visual Studio for Mac OS X, his voice hoarse with emotion, Ballmer screamed, “Now it’s time to give something back!”

The centerpiece of Visual Studio for Mac OS X is Visual Objective-C, a native implementation of Apple’s preferred object-oriented programming language, which is used on both Mac OS X and the iPhone SDK. According to Ballmer, Visual Objective-C will also appear in Visual Studio 2010 SP1 for Windows. Applications written in the Smalltalk-inspired language will require only a simple recompile to run on both Mac and Windows 7 systems, he said.

More at http://www.sdtimes.com/link/34234

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Sounds about right. MS have a search engine, Apple don't. Apple wish to remove the revenue stream going to google.

The interesting bit is that this then just provides MS with the revenue stream and makes iAd in terms of a holistic tool (search and in-app advert management) a bit of a damp squib.

It's not like Apple would want to cut MS' revenue stream anyways, after all, Office for Mac is one of the biggest 3rd party apps for Mac.

And, if they actually replace Google with Bing I will be very surprised. Not because Bing isn't capable (the Silverlight version of Bing Maps, for instance, is ****win), but because it looks like a highly unpopular move.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Most of Safari is written in C++ now. There are small sections of platform-specific bridging code.

The claim is correct, just not for that reason. In the same way that Apple secretly kept OS X running on Intel after the early Intel-compatible Rhapsody builds, the Cocoa team has been keeping Cocoa running on Windows all along. It's not in any shipping product - someone would have noticed - but it's kept up-to-date internally. I don't know if they have specific current plans for it or if it's just a backup plan like x86 OS X was.

As for this rumor, I don't have any specific information, but it would be sort of a dick move to have Ballmer show a new Mac-compatible or Mac-targeting IDE and then blow it away with Xcode 4 in the same keynote.

If it is true (who knows), I would think it would be part of the same announcement to show a new set of cross-platform tools for developers to target the iDevices.

Not happening, based on the original blog on this subject, posted on April 1 by I. B. Foolin. Seems our analyst read that post and failed to recognize that it was an April Fool's joke.

The Blog post indicates that Visual Studio 2010 would be becoming to OSX (The Joke). The analyst said Visual Studio 2010 on Windows would be able to target iDevices. This is a vastly different scenario. One has nothing at all to do with the other.

Flyinsquirrel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Minnesota, US
What the hell are you talking about? Ever been on the Web? Most of the Internet runs on servers running some flavor of Linux. Mostly, Red Hat and Ubuntu.

I wish people would stop mentioning this.

A: He was talking about Novell, not Red Hat/Ubuntu.
B: This isn't a context for web developers/servers (or a forum that centres on them for that matter).
3: Only people that care about Linux care that Linux runs things.

Yes I know that is a 3

That being said, the idea of Steve Balmer being at an Apple event feels very weird. I smell troll. ;)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It's all BS until you provide some facts to support it. As always something one would expect fro you.

Sorry, but Winni is correct about XCode vs Other IDEs. You don't need facts, just experience of IDEs.

While XCode is improving, it still lacks and doesn't contain functionality that I'd expect from a modern IDE. For example, you can't debug Unit Tests without going through hoops in XCode, yet, for a looooooong time, this has been possible in other IDEs, such as Eclipse.

Anyone who has used Eclipse can tell you what XCode lacks. XCode isn't that stable either - I regularly get errors and asked if I want to exit XCode.

On the plus side:
* Interface Builder portion of XCode is Good.
* XCode / IB forces you to build your app using MVC pattern ( which is good )
* Its Free + XCode continues to improve

XCode has come a long way from its predecessor - which was no more than a glorified text editor ( ignoring IB portion ) - it still has a long way to go. XCode does the job - but could be a lot better.

keiths29

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Florida
Wonder Twins Unite

Who would have thunk it. Microsoft and Apple teaming up to take down the evil doers at Google. I smell movie rights.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If apple wanted to allow Windows using developers to make apps for the iPhone without buying a Mac, they would probably just make a version of Snow Leopard tweaked and licensed to run in a VM or something. I can't see them letting Microsoft make native apps with Visual Studio (not that it wouldn't be interesting I guess...) Then again, I guess there's no barrier to Visual Studio making *Mac* apps...

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm sure they would do it as an add-on, it would cost too much to do a VS 2011 unless they are doing that specifically for the Mac platform.

Right--but it seems weird that this would be done as some sort of add-on (most are for the IDE itself; this would need to be some serious business that also changed the compiler, or you'd need a different compiler installed anyway and the add-on, in addition to being more difficult to install, would hardly be anything special).

Just my thoughts. If this is even true in the first place, I think it's far more likely it's related to Silverlight (still a bit sketchy...) or Bing (perhaps the most likely possibility).

Or they're bringing back IE 9 for Mac, but, really, the world can live without that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.