Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Requirements

• Jailbroken iPad
  • Blackberry phone (tested with blackberry storm 9530)
  • ibluever: Install from Cydia (you can try the demo for free. if demo works, ensure to uninstall before installing paid release)
  • PDAnet: http://www.junefabrics.com/bb (click 'install pdanet 1.30' only)
1. Run ibluever from your iPad
2. Click 'ON' You should be able to see your phone
3. Click on blue arrow of your device to edit the following fields
pin code: 0000 (or any combination of numbers)​
dial number: #777 (verizon wireless.)​
chat script: default non GPRS​
Authentication: On​
Sniff Mode: Off​
Waiting SDP: On​
4. Go to your blackberry bluetooth options menu and DISABLE 'dial up networking' and click save
capture121419.jpg

5. Run PDANET from your blackberry device and 'Enable Bluetooth DUN'
6. Open ibluever from your iPad, select your blackberry device and run
7. You should now see two icons on upper right status bar of your iPad
img0006w.png

*NOTE*
- This will not give you 3G speeds. Bluetooth DUN using PDAnet gives about 50kB/s. Faster than edge, but half as fast as 3G. Thats fine by me, as I won't have to pay 15 a month to verizon for data access.
- If you are being redirected to verizon website, ensure that 'dial up networking' is disabled in your blackberry bluetooth options.
- For directions on other mobile carriers, please go here for reference.

*UPDATE 1* (5/29)
I realize now that you can tether without using PDAnet. Just make sure in your blackberry options that 'dial up networking' is ENABLED.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
So, would this allow connection to any phone that has a modem in it? Like I have a palm centro. Before the iPad, I used it to connect a laptop to the Internet. I used some software to enable the USB modem in the phone to dial 777 on the laptop.

The iPad will allow laptop to access the Internet via wifi...but what about the iPad power the cell phone?

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
So, would this allow connection to any phone that has a modem in it? Like I have a palm centro. Before the iPad, I used it to connect a laptop to the Internet. I used some software to enable the USB modem in the phone to dial 777 on the laptop.

The iPad will allow laptop to access the Internet via wifi...but what about the iPad power the cell phone?

yes you can use your palm centro as the modem. ipad battery life is the same. cell phone battery life took a small hit, but nothing serious. go here for a list you can search from.

iWannaBeAdored

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
Scotland
Can you user this with any phone or do you have to have a specific phone? could I use a basic phone with bluetooth and internet access?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Why not just use the MyWi App on the iPad and connect the phone via Wifi? How is this better/different?

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Why not just use the MyWi App on the iPad and connect the phone via Wifi? How is this better/different?

why would you want to put mywi app on your ipad if you want the ipad itself receiving data? :p

the mywi would be on your iphone. mywi just makes your iphone act as a wifi hotspot.

blackberries as well as other phones does not have this capability of having the phone act as a wifi hotspot. its instead using bluetooth Dial up networking to pair the connections and receive data. hope that clears it up.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
iWannaBeAdored said:
yeah and? better than nothing.

Right, but you won't maximize the features of your iPad. Time is gold...

Edit: on your current setup. You might wanna download icab. At least you won't wait like ages when pages loading via your setup on tethering

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for posting this.. I tried to d/l the demo of bluever and only see the option to purchase.. not very clear how to get ahold of the demo on his description.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I'm interested in this method but I think I'm just going to buy a MiFi

lol have fun paying for the $200+ device, the additional extra monthly data charge, and carrying but ANOTHER device along with your iPad/phone. I'm fine with the speeds I get via bluetooth dun. oh btw im not paying an extra dime to verizon, which is how it should be. i refuse to let carriers gouge customers in the u.s.a whereas other countries have it good with their local carriers.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I have the bold 9000 with AT&T. I've downloaded IBlueverDemo app and the pdaBet app for my blackberry. No matter what I do (turn on/off iPad Bluetooth and on/off with PDAnet app) when I turn on iBluever, my blackberry doesn't show up. It just says, "initiating Bluet00th Dawman" then says "searching for bluet00th devices" then says "searching completed successfully, but with no results!!! I can't see my bb from my iPad? Anyone else use this to connect to an AT&T blackberry bold 9000, or does anyone have any advice???

THANKS!

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Ok, I am confused. Sorry.

Can I use this to get my Sprint Palm Centro to dial up...and then connect an iPad to the Palm's connection?

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.