Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
I jailbroke my phone some weeks back with redsnow. The phone just randomly turned off and went into recovery. My itunes doesnt recognize the serial number or anything. Should I just restore the phone through iTunes or am I supposed to do something else since its jailbroken??? Thanks.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Someone please help, someone has to know whats safe

you want advice without telling us what model phone , what firmware version, what baseband you have and what aspects you are worried about e.g. do you need to keep the possibility of an unlock.
FYI, its all safe, but if your injured at all i'm sure you could sue apple.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
As the above post is completely unuseful (as are most of their recent posts I've noticed) my advice would be to try and see if you can get iTunes to recognise it by putting it in DFU mode.

I'm not sure as to why it's decided to break all of a sudden - it could be down to a number of reasons but it's happened so we'll concentrate on fixing it.

What firmware were you on before? Do you rely on an unlock to use your phone?

Try and aim to restore your phone back to the firmware you were on. Don't just click restore in iTunes as this will put you on 3.1.3 and although you're able to jailbreak, an unlock is yet to be released.

Once you've got iTunes to recognise it, depending on the firmware you wish to go to, do a custom restore to that firmware and the re-jailbreak. You shouldn't have to do anything special just because you've been jailbroken before.

Let us know how you get on.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
As the above post is completely unuseful (as are most of their recent posts I've noticed) my advice would be to try and see if you can get iTunes to recognise it by putting it in DFU mode.

I'm not sure as to why it's decided to break all of a sudden - it could be down to a number of reasons but it's happened so we'll concentrate on fixing it.

Try and aim to restore your phone back to the firmware you were on. Don't just click restore in iTunes as this will put you on 3.1.3 and although you're able to jailbreak, an unlock is yet to be released.

Once you've got iTunes to recognise it, depending on the firmware you wish to go to, do a custom restore to that firmware and the re-jailbreak. You shouldn't have to do anything special just because you've been jailbroken before.

IDK how you can say pixelated's posts are not useful?? You need the info he requested to GIVE advice.

You again state in this thread that 3.1.3 can not be unlocked, however, you don't know what iPhone version the OP has. If he has a 2G, he can certainly unlock. Also, unlocking is dependent on the baseband, not the OS. Finally, if the OP has a 3G and it is capable of downgrading the baseband via Fuzzyband (i.e., the oldest 3G's with bootloader 5.08) he can unlock.

There's just a lot you need to know when an OP leaves out info, before you can give advice.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
As the above post is completely unuseful (as are most of their recent posts I've noticed)
I think asking for more information is a lot more responsible than giving blanket advice that could (and was in your case earlier today) end up being wrong.
I would also take the opinion that the english language has enough words for you to express yourself without resorting to personal creations like 'unuseful':p...Useless immediately spang to mind while reading your post

EDIT: thank you aggie for your support

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Sorry for not providing enough info but I figured it out on my own. I just booted it through redsnow and everything is fine. Thanks for the "help"

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX

Dan14: You have a good heart, but I don't believe you are quite ready to give advice. I've been at this for years, and I am very hesitant to make the kind of statements you have made recently. Don't rush to help...look to the senior members of this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.