Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.O.B

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Hi,

Loving my new iPad so far, I just want to put some videos on it to watch when out and about. I hear the best way to do this is to convert the .avi files (or other extensions) which are on my MacBook into .mp4 so they can be viewed on the iPad.

Which program best does this? It doesn't have to be free, but good quality of video is an issue. Thanks everyone!

Mattwood

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
As previous post Handbrake is great. However for the iPad in the house i'm using AirVideo and converting avi's on the fly. Works great.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I used handbrake to convert a bunch of .avi files to .mp4. I've noticed the voice track is off on quite a bunch of them. Is this a common issue?

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
There's a low volume issue with Handbrake rips too, which discourages me from continuing to use it.

I've been considering the Elgato Turbo solution instead.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'd recommend trying to demux .avi files before going through the hassle of converting them to another format. I'm not a video expert, but I think demuxing basically just changes the container and converts the audio. It has worked for every .avi I've tried so far and it takes a couple minutes at most.

I believe the program I use is called avidemux.

itchystiches

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
UK
I can recommend handbrake too. You'll have to make a custom profile I think for the iPad to get it to encode in HD. I had some issues with ImTOO and 6 channel audio. It seemed to down mix it so the voice track was in my left ear and everything else in my right, pretty awful.

Woomy123

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
I use handbrake or video monkey, video monkey proven to be best so far, but it doesn't rip dvds so you have to rip them first in mactheripper but after that it's all good:D

swisspolo

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
iSquint is pretty good, if you get hold of a copy of it. The dev stopped supporting it a while ago. i think the suped up version was called visual hub.

If not you can you the export feature of QT7 Pro to do it, I think.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I'd recommend trying to demux .avi files before going through the hassle of converting them to another format. I'm not a video expert, but I think demuxing basically just changes the container and converts the audio. It has worked for every .avi I've tried so far and it takes a couple minutes at most.

I believe the program I use is called avidemux.

Downloaded it, but it looks like the sort of thing where you need to know something about video editing to use it. Horrendously complicated for a layperson like my self to use. I'm going to have to stick to something simple like handbreak

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Try Air Video. You have no control over the conversion settings but it i drop dead simple and fast.
You have quite a bit control, if you click the Global Settings button, on the top left. ;) There's sliders for the resolution and bit rate, very good cropping options, a wide selection of audio bit rates to choose from, you can send to iTunes and because it converts practically every common video format, I use it to convert everything, except DVD rips(I use Handbrake for that).

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
You may want to also try MPEG Streamclip to convert. I have had good luck with AVI-MPV conversion for the iPad with both it and Handbrake, with Handbrake winning on the time to convert and an easy to use queue function for multiple files. I use the Apple TV preset which produces the desired output for the iPad.

http://www.squared5.com/

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I use QuickTime:)
Just start the video in QuickTime, click share, then iphone.
boom! Goes into itunes automatically, and it keeps the quality.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
iSquint is pretty good, if you get hold of a copy of it. The dev stopped supporting it a while ago. i think the suped up version was called visual hub.

If not you can you the export feature of QT7 Pro to do it, I think.

These are my choices...I use visual hub for lots of stuff, but I've had it since the day and was a beta tester for Audial Hub. iSquint is pretty good for a no fuss conversion.

laviniali

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Without a doubt the best program is Handbrake - it is what a lot of the other programs are based on. If you go with Handbrake, you will also need VLC.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Actual Test Results

So, I searched and found this thread, (and many others) wondering, which is the fastest... and not really finding anything empirical. So, I ran a test:

Source File: 1.89 GB avi movie file
System: rMBP 13" dual core i7 2.9 GHz

I tested the conversion to mp4 with three conversion tools:

HandBrake, v0.9.8 x86_64
convert time 0:18:19.1
output size 1.5GB

iFunia, v3.9.0
convert time 1:07:40.0
output size 3.01 GB

WonderShare Video Converter Ultimate, v3.0.2
convert time 0:44:45.5
output size 1.88 GB

All were converting to HD mp4. Some functionality notes:
iFunia, I like iFunia because it gives you the ability to set the aspect and crop properly to 16:9 which is what works best (for me) on AppleTV. It removes black to the left and right of the image on the TV.

WonderShare, is a great interface

I should point out... my first and foremost concern was speed. I am certain the cropping features of HandBrake are great, I didn't really play with it (but will have to now). During this testing, I did not crop or conert aspect ratio's at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.