Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macervantes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
First of all here are the specs i was able to pull before the incident.

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.7)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.1.3f1

Here is what happened, i had to hack the admin password since i had bought this mac on ebay, but when i tried to update it, it wouldnt boot, so i had to install Tiger various amount of times, until one day disaster hit, and the Mac wouldnt install Tiger, i though it was the HDD but not everything is fine, it chimes and the looks for bootable discs. Just recently at 2:25PM CST, i heard the video card make noises with the fan, now im wondering if its the Video Card that is messing up. Any help would be great since i cannot find the AHT for this Mac and it wont boot the ASD. Just for fun facts, i was able to boot up my old iMac G3 Slot Loading.

:apple:MarcoCervantes aka. Selim Bradley

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Well to do that particular firmware update, you have to be booted into OS 9.2.2 anyway. You'll need a spare harddrive or partition to use for the Classic OS.

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California
Does your OS 9 CD have a gold 9 on it (retail), or is it a gray disk (OEM)?
OEM disks are made for specific Mac models, and may not have the necessary drivers for other models.

macervantes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Does your OS 9 CD have a gold 9 on it (retail), or is it a gray disk (OEM)?
OEM disks are made for specific Mac models, and may not have the necessary drivers for other models.

Ok major update! I got my mac to finally install Tiger AND get the 10.4.11 update not the problem is, it kernel Panicks after a few minutes of use. Any ideas?

macervantes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Ok major update! I got my mac to finally install Tiger AND get the 10.4.11 update not the problem is, it kernel Panicks after a few minutes of use. Any ideas?

Ok i got it not kernel panic anymore (i think it was a bad ram) but now Safari and Software Update wont run, any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.