Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manning

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I am looking to sell a camera of mine and I found a site where I could easily sell it. It is UsedCameraBuyer.com. However, I have never really heard of it and I am a little weary of sending my camera and lenses out to them.

Anybody used them before? Thanks so much.

Manning

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I think UsedCameraBuyer is partnered with iStockPhoto, so that does make it a bit more legitimate.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't know anything about them - but their domain name was registered back in 2003, so that at least is okay.

The first thing I usually do with a company I've never heard of is look up when their domain was created. If it started up it 2007, fogedaboutit.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am looking to sell a camera of mine.....

Have you tried to sell it yourself? Those larger camera resellers pay you maybe 50% of the selling price unless you have a very "hot" item in which case you could sell it yourself quickly. In effect yu are paying them to sell your gear.

What are you trying to sell. Some of use here might know a beter place, depending on what you have.

donaldra

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
used camer equipment

I just sent several hundred dollars worth of equipment to them several days ago. I have called and e-mailed them to see if they received my stuff for 2 days now and I have received no answer yet. In a couple of days I will be getting upset.

JME1013

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Usedcamerabuyer.com

I sent my D70 with 4 lenses to them last Thursday and received an email from them the following Wednesday saying that my check had been mailed out. I got my check 2 days later. I was extremely hesitant, but I looked at the company alot before I sent my stuff. They are a registered BBB company with 1 complaint that was resolved. Go to BBB.com and look them up. Anyway, I am very pleased with them. It was an extremely hassle free way to sell my camera equipment that I wasn't using anymore.

JME1013

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
I felt that it was a decent price. The D70 is a great camera, but as with any electronic/digital item, it was out dated. I was really having a difficult time trying to sell it on my own due to the enormous megapixle cameras that are out now. As soon as I would say it's a 6.3 megapixle, no one was interested. Anyway, I feel that they gave me about 5-10% below market value. For the ease of the whole process, I felt that it was a small fee to pay. Hope this was helpful.

djwsax

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
I am looking to sell a camera of mine and I found a site where I could easily sell it. It is UsedCameraBuyer.com. However, I have never really heard of it and I am a little weary of sending my camera and lenses out to them.

I just used UsedCameraBuyer.com and had a smooth, professional experience with them. I guy named Matt was very fast at returning my emails and the transaction went without a hitch.
Hope that helps.
DJWSAX

bandit2

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
used camera buyer.com

I have tried to use them, they are prompt with the quote and prompt with the shipping labels,however they high ball the quote and after they get your eqipment, they lower the price and then ask if you want the equipment back.:mad::(:eek::apple:

bandit2

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
used camera buyer

I just sent several hundred dollars worth of equipment to them several days ago. I have called and e-mailed them to see if they received my stuff for 2 days now and I have received no answer yet. In a couple of days I will be getting upset.

I sent a list of the cameras that I had for sale to used camera buyer,com, they quoted me one price,were quick to send shipping labels, when they got the equipment, they make all kinds of excuses not to give you what they quoted and they down grade your equipment. This way they give you less then what they quoted. they offer to send your equipment back, but who knows what condition it will be when you get it back.They have a full page add in shutterbug magazine which is suppose to make them look good. I WOULD NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN, THEY ARE NOT CRACKED UP TO BE WHAT THEY SAY THEY ARE. SHAME SHAME ON USED CAMERA BUYER.COM:mad::(:(:eek::p:(
PS: THEY TAKE ALMOST A MONTH TO SEND YOU A CHECK, THEY DO NOT WANT TO PART WITH YOUR MONEY.

diannereynolds

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
used camera buyer.com

I have only had positive experiences with this company and sold them equipment at least 3 times. If you are honest with the condition of your equipment you will receive what they quoted with no questions asked.

Plus they pay the shipping to get your equipment to them:)

ingeorgia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
just asked for return

these folks are very hot to get your equipment in hand, and then not so fast.
I don't know what the current rate is but I was offered 10-15 cents on the dollar of the original cost. Then when they did the appraisal with equipment in hand they found problems I did not note prior to sending the equipment off. At that point they subtracted from the cumulative total at the rate of 50 to 75 cents on the dollar of original retail. I asked for the equipment to be sent back. I don't know if the problems are real and have no verification until they return the items. I will follow up on how hard and costly it was to get a return.

jimisham

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Happy with Used Camera Buyer

I recently sold a D700 and some desirable Nikon lenses to Used Camera Buyer, and was very pleased. I found them to be honest concerning price agreements, unlike a well-known camera retailer in New York. UCB agreed with my assessment of condition, gave me a very fair wholesale price (remember they have to make money on resale), and paid me within commercial standard 30 days. I would do business with them again. The only problem with selling to any big company is that price negotiations can't really begin until they have your stuff, as one other post here mentions. But UCB did pay my UPS to Virginia, so that helps. :cool:

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
craigslist

I have sold things on craigslist for more than I bought them for (again, from craigslist).

cash up front, no shipping involved. Its a win/win.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I have sold things on craigslist for more than I bought them for (again, from craigslist).

cash up front, no shipping involved. Its a win/win.

I am with Matt on this. Why bother? Hell, if you want to, do it yourself through amazon's selling service. but the brokers will ALWAYS try to lowball you..it's their business.. then agin if that "hassle" is worth to you that much money then go for it...

damcmp

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
usedcamerabuyers are crooks and thieves

On Nov 1 I received a online quote UCB811156 for Nikon D90 camera, a D5000 camera and 18-55mm lens, and a MBD-80 power pack.....I received a UPS shipping label in the mail tracking number 1Z1Y52430391899855.
On Nov 12th Collins signed for the package, and Nov 14th I was told "Everything
did make it here and went through inspection this morning. Everything looked
fine and you are all set, we just have some time in processing.
Thanks again."
On the 26th I was told by Matt Wolford the check was still in processing but he would talk to accounting and see if he could get it sent out end of the week....I never received the check.
On Nov 30th I sent Matt another e-mail stating it had been 13 days in processing and wondered why it was taking so long to cut a check. Matt responded "David, I just met with accounting and your check is set to leave here on Monday the 12th. Thanks again" followed by my saying "December 12th is on a
Wednesday" and then Matt responded " David, Sorry, that was Monday the 10th. Thanks again."
That was the last correspondence I have received and no check in sight....I have sent several e-mails since that date, one where I told Matt I had filed a complaint with the Richmond, Va Better Business Bureau where they had 56 complaints on file...I FINALLY RECEIVED MY CHECK ON JAN 4TH..

Last edited:

nkatsikis

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Nearly 3 months and still waiting for payment

I sold a high-end Canon lens to Used Camera Buyer on 2/14/13. The lens was delivered to their facility on 2/22/13. I began contacting USB on 4/1 and as of 5/14/13 I still have not receive payment. I was told on 4/17/13 that my payment would be mailed on 4/29/13. However, when I emailed on 5/13 advising that the payment had still not been received, I was informed that the payment still had not bee mailed. At this point, I have no information from them as to when my payment will be mailed. I've filed complaints with BBB.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I've bought and sold plenty of items on the FredMiranda.com forums despite not being an active member there. If you're smart, it's relatively safe. But of course there is no middle man, so no protection or fallback aside from PayPal. It's not for everybody.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I felt that it was a decent price. The D70 is a great camera, but as with any electronic/digital item, it was out dated. I was really having a difficult time trying to sell it on my own due to the enormous megapixle cameras that are out now. As soon as I would say it's a 6.3 megapixle, no one was interested. Anyway, I feel that they gave me about 5-10% below market value. For the ease of the whole process, I felt that it was a small fee to pay. Hope this was helpful.

What did they give you for the D70? You ar right they are not worth so much. The D50 is more popular. Both go for under $200 The D70 sells on eBay quick enough

I sold a high-end Canon lens to Used Camera Buyer on 2/14/13. The lens was delivered to their facility on 2/22/13. I began contacting USB on 4/1 and as of 5/14/13 I still have not receive payment. I was told on 4/17/13 that my payment would be mailed on 4/29/13. However, when I emailed on 5/13 advising that the payment had still not been received, I was informed that the payment still had not bee mailed. At this point, I have no information from them as to when my payment will be mailed. I've filed complaints with BBB.

You do know the BBB is useless. Companies pay to be members and BBB would never do anythig to piss off a dues paying customer. BBB is the very definition of "conflict of interest."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.