Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w...b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I just got mine yesterday. Testing out the 16g and maybe getting a 3G later.

The real reason I got it was so that I could upload my numerous ebooks on to it so I can read on the go. I haven't fully played around with it on iTunes yet but I just wanted to check on here first.

Wade

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
As long as they're not DRMed, yes. Just import them into iTunes and then sync your device and your books will show up in iBooks.

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
How about cover arts? I imported some books( from stanza eventually) in my iTunes, but some don't have cover arts( I downloaded some cover arts in Stanza, appearantly they weren't exported).
How to fix cover arts? Can't look for them on iTunes, or will iBooks try to find it?

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
The ultimate app for encoding eBooks is "Calibre". They even have a specific iPad setting and allow you to remove the first image, set metadata, cover art, build tables of contents/chapters and other goodies.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I've had success while using some .lit files and even reformatting existing .epub files.

A word of caution though: PDF to ePub is terrible. I've got some books in PDF that I can't turn into ePub to read on iPad, so for those, I'll go with Goodreader.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
The ultimate app for encoding eBooks is "Calibre". They even have a specific iPad setting and allow you to remove the first image, set metadata, cover art, build tables of contents/chapters and other goodies.

I've had success while using some .lit files and even reformatting existing .epub files.

A word of caution though: PDF to ePub is terrible. I've got some books in PDF that I can't turn into ePub to read on iPad, so for those, I'll go with Goodreader.

Last I checked, you could import PDF books into iTunes as well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I tried using Calibre but it was crazy slow, I think after 2 hours of it being on 1% converted I gave up on it.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Last I checked, you could import PDF books into iTunes as well.

SERIOUSLY? *runs to check*

EDIT: nyet. Not working, I'm pretty positive it only takes ePUB. :(

I tried using Calibre but it was crazy slow, I think after 2 hours of it being on 1% converted I gave up on it.

Really? It takes a few minutes to batch convert a dozen or so books for me. That doesn't sound normal in your case. :eek:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I was on a laptop at work, so maybe thats why, keep in mind that these are 300mb textbook scans. I played with it today and was able to convert one of them in a reasonable amount of time on my more powerful home desktop. I synced it into ibooks.

It looks horrible, ibooks doesn't pick up the text so you can't change font, font size, background, etc. It's pretty bad, but yes it is doable. I'd much rather read em in iannotate.

MrDouglas

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Book cover proportions

Is there anyone who knows what book cover proportions the iBook covers has? Here in Sweden we only have the books from Project Gutenberg, and as you all know the cover art is not that awsome for those books...

Regards,
Douglas

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Is there anyone who knows what book cover proportions the iBook covers has? Here in Sweden we only have the books from Project Gutenberg, and as you all know the cover art is not that awsome for those books...

Regards,
Douglas

I just grabbed the cover art from Amazon.com's site, and they match Apple's ebooks perfectly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Then something is wrong with the file you are trying to convert. Either it has DRM or some weird formatting. Calibre takes about 2-4 min w/ a good file.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Then something is wrong with the file you are trying to convert. Either it has DRM or some weird formatting. Calibre takes about 2-4 min w/ a good file.

Yeah its not bad at all, I think it was my work laptop that was slow.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How about cover arts? I imported some books( from stanza eventually) in my iTunes, but some don't have cover arts( I downloaded some cover arts in Stanza, appearantly they weren't exported).
How to fix cover arts? Can't look for them on iTunes, or will iBooks try to find it?
You can set the cover art for books just like you set the cover art for music. Right-click on the book, Get info, Artwork.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
CristobalHuet said:
SERIOUSLY? *runs to check*

EDIT: nyet. Not working, I'm pretty positive it only takes ePUB. :(

Hmm, strange. I could have swore I tried that when I got my iPad. It was slow as he'll, but I'm sure I worked. Ah well, Calibre works too, usually.

lorrainec

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
importing to itunes from sony ereader library

I purchase books for my sony ereader and have always used the sony software - reader library. But I can't import epub books to itunes from the reader library - no error message, just no action. Has anyone tried this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.