Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gohome190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Whenever I try to login to my existing steam account... It says "unable to connect to steam network". I am connected to the internet... so why is it not connecting?
thanks

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
i have the same problem too

i also have windows running on my macbook wiht steam installed, i heard that if you update steam on windows it should fix it, but i still have the problem, hopefully someone will be able to figure this out

crunchbox

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I've tried on two different networks and same result...

I really can't work out what the problem is, usually don't have any problems. I wonder if there is something we all have in common?

Behind a firewalled router? Yes
Use port forwarding? Yes
In Australia? Yes
Use Little Snitch? Yes

I can login to Steam without issue via bootcamp Windows 7 on my MBP... make's no sense...

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Typical. Valve have ballsed up the Mac release, not really surprising as this is a fairly regular occurrence with them. Firewall etc seems to make no difference and at the moment even a 'create new account' isn't working. This'll probably be fixed soon in a client update.

crunchbox

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
FIX: Steam unable to connect - Stuck in Offline mode

So after some manic hunting around it seems the fix is to completely uninstall PeerGuardian for OSX. I had to re-download the PeerGuardian installer dmg to get the uninstaller. I ran that twice (to be sure) and then re-launched the Steam app. Immediately could log in without issues...

Hope this helps...

I remember this happening to me years ago on windows too. PG must block Steam servers. Makes sense...
:eek:

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
Seriously? Delete PeerGuardian? There has to be a better solution...Either editing a setting in Peerguardian or configuring Steam so it doesn't run into the same problem or something....I use Peerguardian...Don't wanna delete it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I have installed/restarted/updated everything and whenever I try and open steam after a fresh install, this is as far as I get. I have tried multiple networks

Any Ideas!?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    731.5 KB · Views: 7,358

Conexionz

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
So after some manic hunting around it seems the fix is to completely uninstall PeerGuardian for OSX. I had to re-download the PeerGuardian installer dmg to get the uninstaller. I ran that twice (to be sure) and then re-launched the Steam app. Immediately could log in without issues...

Hope this helps...

I remember this happening to me years ago on windows too. PG must block Steam servers. Makes sense...
:eek:

Seriously? Delete PeerGuardian? There has to be a better solution...Either editing a setting in Peerguardian or configuring Steam so it doesn't run into the same problem or something....I use Peerguardian...Don't wanna delete it. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I was having the same problem and had PG enabled. You don't have to delete PG, just temporarily disable PG's filters when using Steam. :)

ethan86

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
I'm having the same problem when I try to install Steam (it looks similar to what's in Rolltide's picture). The thing is, I don't have PeerGuardian installed (never heard of it either). I've tried running the installer with my iMac wirelessly connected to my network and hardwired into the router and modem, all with the same network error results. I've never used steam before, so I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot it. Does anyone have any ideas?

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I'm having the same problem when I try to install Steam (it looks similar to what's in Rolltide's picture). The thing is, I don't have PeerGuardian installed (never heard of it either). I've tried running the installer with my iMac wirelessly connected to my network and hardwired into the router and modem, all with the same network error results. I've never used steam before, so I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Completely in the same boat with you except I play Steam on the windows side. I don't use PG either. The main frustration is that you cannot even get to a menu TO troubleshoot!

ethan86

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
I just tried reinstalling Steam and when it failed, I checked my router's logs. I didn't see anything being denied, so the router isn't the problem. Since a lot of other people are having problems, it must be on Valve's side.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Same problem with me too. I don't know what PeerGuardian is. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really want to take advantage of this game being free for now......

thanks

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
I just tired downloading a demo of World of Goo but was unable to. Said the servers were too busy to handle my request. Seems Valve servers are being hit harder then they thought. Not sure why some people (like me) can log in and other can't.

Best I can suggest is wait till Monday to see if Valve fixes the problem. If they don't, or you want to take immediate action, contact Valve tech support and complain.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Whenever I try to login to my existing steam account... It says "unable to connect to steam network". I am connected to the internet... so why is it not connecting?
thanks

looking at how pathetic steam on mac is right now, consider yourself lucky. There is basically 1 game from 3 years ago and a maxed out 20,000 mac pro probaly could not get more than 20 fps out of it.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
As a troubleshooting exercise try turning your router firewall off. At least then you'll know for sure if that's the problem or not.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
looking at how pathetic steam on mac is right now, consider yourself lucky. There is basically 1 game from 3 years ago and a maxed out 20,000 mac pro probaly could not get more than 20 fps out of it.

Off topic and reeks of troll.

Anyway, just tried downloading World of Goo demo and it works now. Anyone of you guys having problems tried logging in recently?

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006

Might wanna look into something being wrong with your machine bro. I've got a late 2006 2.33 Ghz MBP that is running Portal on high with no problems. Don't know how to bring up the console and figure out the FPS, but I can visually tell you its hitting higher than 30 FPS.

HackDaBox

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Complete Fix , Tested on my iMac and Macbook Pro !

If you have peer guardian installed you must disable it by doing this...

Start Peer Guardian , control click on the icon in the Dock. Choose Disable Filters. Quit Peer Guardian. Try Steam again !

Now you still need to make a new empty folder called Steam in your Application Support folder which is inside your Library folder which is inside your account name !

Go to Finder then Double click on your account name ( which has a little house next to it in the sidebar of Finder ) , Double click on Library , Double Click on Application Support. Now control click or right click and choose New Folder , finally rename the new folder to Steam.

The full path is yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam.

Enjoy !

HackDaBox!

icBigMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
same problem. I don't have PG installed. Just started happening after steam auto updated itself when I opened the app.

edit:
Fixed. I turned Airport Off...then started steam app in offline mode. Started fine. Then turned Airport ON, In steam - Account - Go Online, it restarted the steam app, and I was able to log in just fine.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
same problem. I don't have PG installed. Just started happening after steam auto updated itself when I opened the app.

edit:
Fixed. I turned Airport Off...then started steam app in offline mode. Started fine. Then turned Airport ON, In steam - Account - Go Online, it restarted the steam app, and I was able to log in just fine.

Same problem after today's update, essentially same solution worked for me too: after turning Airport off and starting Steam off line, I quit it myself, enabled Airport, then restarted Steam and was able to connect. Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.