Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everybody,

after having just installed Safari 4 beta, Mail.app is always crashing when downloading an incoming mail. Anybody else experiences that and knows a solution? Thanks in advance!!

jonagetin

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Hi everybody,

after having just installed Safari 4 beta, Mail.app is always crashing when downloading an incoming mail. Anybody else experiences that and knows a solution? Thanks in advance!!

I can confirm that this happens on all 5 of my machines here at the office. I also have a confirmation of the same happening to a friend in Spain.

Looks like not enough testing went into this.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for your answer - seems like I was too fast installing Safari 4 as there weren't any complains in the first 10 pages of the Safari thread ... If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Do you have Growl installed on your 5 computers? The crash window says that mabye Growl is responsible for the crash. I don't believe this and also already tried using Mail while having Growl deactivated - same crash. But mabye Growl is involved nevertheless because of the Safari update ...? Does reinstalling Mail.app/Safari 3 work? If anybody has a hint for us poor souls, please let us know!!

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
On My 1st gen Macbook Air, i have installed the Safari 4 Beta and have not seen any crashes or other weirdness in Mail. 10.5.6

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I am not having any problems with 10.5.6, Safari 4 Beta, and Mail. I also have Growl installed and nothing strange here. Can you take a screen shot of the error message (Command Option 4, then space bar to highlight the error message box)

iPhazer

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
Hi everybody,

I'm having the exact same problem after installing Safari 4 beta.
Hoping for a quick fix :)

badoian

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
ad me to the list. at first I was getting a message saying the error was caused by growl plugin. i disabled the plugin, and still have the same issue.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I am not having any problems with 10.5.6, Safari 4 Beta, and Mail. I also have Growl installed and nothing strange here. Can you take a screen shot of the error message (Command Option 4, then space bar to highlight the error message box)

My crash window is in German so that it probably won't help much, but it just is a normal program crash info. As I have already disabled Growl and Mail.app crashes nevertheless it also probably isn't really related to Growl as the crash info suggests. However, if somebody out there can confirm that he/she also has this problem without having Growl on their computer AT ALL, this would be a final evidence that it is not a Safari-Growl-thing, but something different caused by Safari 4 ...

Mabye Arn should include a short warning to his infos on the front page that some user experiences problems with Mail.

everydave

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
From my testing and comments here, it looks like that just having growl installed won't do it, you have to have the growlmail plugin installed. What's really interesting is that even after disabling, then uninstalling just the plugin, and the same with growl, it still happens.

However if I uninstall Safari 4 all is well. But hey...it's beta! I'm sure the growl folks will jump on this shortly...

The Reason

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I had the same problem on my machine as well...

I opened up finder, and clicked /library/mail/bundle and deleted the only folder that was there (growl)....

restart mail and it works great....

this was after disabling growl for mail in both the preferences menu, and within mail itself (stopped send receive)....

hope this helps....

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi The Reason,

thanks for your hint - really appreciated. If I do so and delete the folder, will I not be able to use Growl anymore? Did you reinstall it or do you now live with it not being able to use Growl because of Safari 4? Thanks!!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Yes - this seems to be caused by GrowlMail. Moving ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail to another location works too - you won't have Growl notifications for Mail, but all other Growl notifications will work.

Moving it will allow you to put it back easily if you decide to go back to Safari 3.

I only installed GrowlMail a couple of weeks ago so I can live without it until the Growl folk release a fix.

badoian

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
I had the same problem on my machine as well...

I opened up finder, and clicked /library/mail/bundle and deleted the only folder that was there (growl)....

restart mail and it works great....

this was after disabling growl for mail in both the preferences menu, and within mail itself (stopped send receive)....

hope this helps....

Yup this fixed it. Thanks for that.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I now also deleted the folder with the result that Mail doesn't crash anymore, but never stops searching for mails (spinning wheel next to the mail account name stays) and I have to force quit application to get Mail closed ... Annoying.

EDIT: Just wanted to downgrade to Safari 3 because everything suggested here doesn't work, but the installation software doesn't let me do so because there's the newer version 4 on my hard disc. Any help how to do so without losing my bookmarks etc.?? Oh man, I really thought I left those kind of problems behind when switching to Mac ...

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I downgraded by uninstalling using the Uninstall DMG that was with the install package... it downgraded but Mail is still crashing.

Oh Jesus Christ, why I am so dumb downloading Beta software from Apple ... Will totally uninstall Growl now and hope that this works.

EDIT: Still the same sh*t ... Man, I don't have time for this! Any chance to use my time machine backup? The fault probably is hidden in some folder I don't know ...

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
I Should've stayed with FireFox

I got the same problems with mail. The thing is I rarely use Safari – Alas, I shouldn't have jumped at the upgrade. I changed locations for .mailbundle and it works fine. But, I want my Growl back. Will uninstalling Safari4 put things back to normal, or do I have to restore from my machine's last backup?

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Mine crashing also after Safari beta install. I was able to finally go in and disable Growl notifications and it stopped crashing.

The Reason

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I think we will just have to wait for the folks who created growl to update their software....

From what I have read, 1 Password does not work yet either.....

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
So do I understand you guys correctly that your Mail really works fine again after disabling/uninstalling Growl? You don't suffer from the problem that it now doesn't crashes anymore, but doesn't stop searching after receiving a mail (spinning wheel next to the account name) and can't be closed then anymore? That's still my problem here ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.