Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
tekmoe said:
that is actually dated from last year. =)

The sad thing is, that rumor from last year was predicting a 1.8 Ghz for the 17'', and we're all waiting around a year later for the possibility of getting a 1.7!! We sure are desperate. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
NewbieNerd said:
The sad thing is, that rumor from last year was predicting a 1.8 Ghz for the 17'', and we're all waiting around a year later for the possibility of getting a 1.7!! We sure are desperate. ;)

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? ;)

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i guess one positive outlook to all of this is we will, without a doubt, get dual layer superdrives. i am 100% sure on this. if mac mini's can have 'em, powerbooks will DEFINITELY have them.

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
tekmoe said:
i guess one positive outlook to all of this is we will, without a doubt, get dual layer superdrives. i am 100% sure on this. if mac mini's can have 'em, powerbooks will DEFINITELY have them.
As well as support for up to 1.5 Gb of RAM, if the ibook can have it, the powerbooks SHOULD...

/* :eek: Still feeling embarrassed about the 2004 powerbook rumor link */

JoeBeCrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2005
New PowerBooks will not be Dual-Core

I just sold my powerbook the other week cause i'm anticipating the next PowerBook G4. I've been doing lots of research on the G4 processor (yes i am a loser), and i'm almost certain that the new powerbooks will release in a few weeks with a new G4 processor that may reach up to 1.8 or 2.0.

I'm really going to jump on the next upgrade because of the 1MB L2 cache and 200mhz bus. I know this for sure because Freescale is starting their full production of the MPC7448 chip this week. the new chip is a lot cooler because it's built on a 90 nm silicon-on-insulator technology. 1.4ghz using less than 10w. that means this chip is going to be cool, which means more battery life and less lap burns. REading up on the chip, they say it's an easy upgrade "pin-for-pin" to the existing boards... That means apple doesn't have to redesign their board as much.

Here's my predictions:

12" PowerBook...
1.8 Ghz G4 with 1MB L2 Cache and 200Mhz System Bus
AGP NVIDIA FX Go 5700 with 64MB or 128MB (for 30" Display Compatibility.. they really need to sell more of those things...)
Dual-Layer 8x SuperDrive
80 - 100 GB 5400RPM Harddrive
no firewire 800

15" & 17" Powerbook...
1.8 - 2.0 Ghz G4 with 1MB L2 Cache and 200Mhz System Bus
AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 with 64 - 128
Dual-Layer 8x SuperDrive
100 - 120 GB 5400RPM drive
all the same features as before

the KICK: Usually Apple releases a functional update rather than just a speed update. I'm guessing that Apple will do a integrated webcam or something. or some technology about the trackpad to do a 2nd click.

DUAL CORE HYPE:
Here's my take on the Dual-Core... Freescale hasn't started their full production on the dual-cores MPC8641D chip yet, and by the time they do, Apple are already doing the Intel thing. Secondly, to design a motherboard to support the Dual-Core means they have to really take it to the labs and test it full force... i mean DDR2, 667MHZ system bus, PCI Express video Card... too much of an upgrade.. too much time and effort for a G4 chip. this huge leap would probably be best saved for the new Intel Macs..

My Intel theory... I'm not going to jump on the intel chip when it comes out simply because i don't think it'll be fast enough. Rosetta... i think it's going to slow all my programs... Ideally, i wish Apple makes a dual-core Powerbook G4 with all the crazy features of DDR2, 667, and PCI-X, which i know for sure would kick ass. When the specs i see, it can even do better than a G5 because of it's low power consumption... :D

ariechel

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2005
JoeBeCrazy said:
I know this for sure because Freescale is starting their full production of the MPC7448 chip this week.
If you are correct that Freescale only just started full production of the 7448 chip, it will probably be weeks before the chip reaches mass availability. I am not saying that you are not correct that this chip will find its way into the next revision of the Powerbook, in fact I assume that you are correct. However, for all those people that are hoping for a new Powerbook in the next few days, this is very bad news. New Powerbooks at the end of October?

mddharma

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
Hagerstown, Md
:( It is 6:42 EST and the apple site is quiet... Powerbooks across the board still show 24 hours shippings... :(

:mad: WTF!!! Mini's approaching powerbooks! BRING ON THE POWERBOOK UPDATE! ENOUGH! ;)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
JoeBeCrazy said:
the KICK: Usually Apple releases a functional update rather than just a speed update. I'm guessing that Apple will do a integrated webcam or something. or some technology about the trackpad to do a 2nd click.
I doubt the webcam, as that would require a chassis upgrade and I think apple plan on that to coincide with the Intel switch. Sony did some laptops the other year with integrated webcams and they weren't that popular, but since the new PoerBook design team have got ex-Sony designers working on them, they may just resurrect the idea when we do get the first batch of x86 PowerBooks.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
ariechel said:
However, for all those people that are hoping for a new Powerbook in the next few days, this is very bad news. New Powerbooks at the end of October?
Great, this might coincide with MacExpo in London on 27th-29th October, (and I'm going down there on the Friday). :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi guys,

here is what I think: my guess is that we see new Powerbooks next tuesday Oct 4th. Why? Here is why: Apple just sold through their second hand store tons of current PBs for a very nice price (-20% discount) The second hand store is open every day until Oct 3th. That's why I think the new PBs will appear next week.

And: the rumors sites have no clue recently.

Cheers
LaForge

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi guys,

here is what I think: my guess is that we see new Powerbooks next tuesday Oct 4th. Why? Here is why: Apple just sold through their second hand store tons of current PBs for a very nice price (-20% discount) The second hand store is open every day until Oct 3th. That's why I think the new PBs will appear next week.
So a few people have said. I am still a little sceptical though, especially if they have only just gone into full production of the 7448 chips. They might announce them next week, but I would doubt you'll see any/many until late October to November. You might even see one more revision in next February/March and then it will be the intel PowerBooks on their way.

Still not sure whether to wait for them or not. I won't buy until at least February either way, but I just feel that apple are holding back some nice features until they come with intel processors. That way they aren't just changing processors, they are bringing out a "New PowerBook", or even dare I say it, rename it. :eek:

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I wonder if a Sonnet (or BlueLogix or NewerTech) dual-core G4 upgrade daughtercard lies in the future, and for what vintage of PowerBooks?

Perdix

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Scotland
Given up

I've given up waiting and just ordered my 15" PB - hence Apple are bound to provide an update next week. But I was worried that I was starting to become addicted to this thread, and decided that the madness had to stop.

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
JoeBeCrazy said:
I'm really going to jump on the next upgrade because of the 1MB L2 cache and 200mhz bus. I know this for sure because Freescale is starting their full production of the MPC7448 chip this week.
Sorry to be so sceptic, but how do you know that Freescale is starting their full production of the MPC7448 this week?
Hope you're right anyway :)

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Mark my words, as a UK based apple user. New powerbooks are coming.

The UK refurb store is woefully bad. It completely sucks. Only open on a Wednesday, and usually hardly has any items at all.
Recently, it's open for a full week and is chock full of refurb powerbooks and powermacs.

It appears in the UK, apple usually get rid of stuff through other channels, and use the refurb store a a dumping ground for old stock when they are planning new releases.

So, as a math formula,

UK refurb store + Actually having some damn stock at good prices = new products around the corner.

turbojugend

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2004
Perdix said:
I've given up waiting and just ordered my 15" PB - hence Apple are bound to provide an update next week. But I was worried that I was starting to become addicted to this thread, and decided that the madness had to stop.

It wont stop. I ordered over a week ago, and I'm still addicted to the thread, hopin' that I'll automatically get a new one instead of the febuary 15".

Being an Apple fan is sort of like a sub-religious thing, innit? Faith and hope is a big part of it. ;)

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
turbojugend said:
It wont stop. I ordered over a week ago, and I'm still addicted to the thread, hopin' that I'll automatically get a new one instead of the febuary 15".

Everyone calls that last update February, but it actually happened on Monday, January 31, 2005. Oh, I guess that makes it sound even worst! :(

KA2357

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2005
turbojugend said:
Being an Apple fan is sort of like a sub-religious thing, innit? Faith and hope is a big part of it.

Yes, you don't find PC users as fervent in their loyalty and wants. It's a curious phenomenon... however part of it may be the result that Apple is a monopoly unto itself.

I, too, am waiting anxiously for the PowerBook update.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
steve_hill4 said:
So a few people have said. I am still a little sceptical though, especially if they have only just gone into full production of the 7448 chips. They might announce them next week, but I would doubt you'll see any/many until late October to November. You might even see one more revision in next February/March and then it will be the intel PowerBooks on their way.

Yes - they are now on full production. But they started shipping in June. They just ramped up during that time. That means 3 month of ramp up production has gone somewhere.

my 2 cents

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Just a little bit of housekeeping here...

In Safari, please go to the Edit menu, select Spelling, then select "Check Spelling As You Type."

Thanks.

;) :D ;)

bigrustyjc

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
KA2357 said:
Yes, you don't find PC users as fervent in their loyalty and wants. It's a curious phenomenon... however part of it may be the result that Apple is a monopoly unto itself.

I, too, am waiting anxiously for the PowerBook update.

I think the big reason you don't see PC users dying for new hardware and such is because PC manufacturers are constantly updating the hardware. New Processors come out all the time. The PC manufacturers stay up with the newest technology waaaaaaay more than Apple.

I would bet that if Dell wouldn't upgrade their top of the line professional laptops for 9-10 months, you would hear people start making noise. But again, I seriously doubt if Dell or any other PC manufacturer/seller would do such a thing.

I find it more curious how Apple can get away with it and stay in business. Maybe one of the reasons why Apple has such a small share of the computer market? I'll definitely be interested to see what's going to happen with this switch to Intel. Much less basis for not upgrading more often.

I'm also anxiously awaiting a new Powerbook update/upgrade. I hope it comes soon....

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Some refurbs are replaced with new products!!

NEW POWERBOOKS ARE COMING

:D :D :D

Attachments

• status.gif
    status.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 501
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.