Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgwoehr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
My cousin's iHome randomly stopped working a few days ago. It still charges her iPod touch but the screen on the iHome is blank and music plays through the iPod's speaker instead of the iHome's speakers. Does anyone know if this is fixable or is the thing dead? It's an iHome iP90 if that helps. I tried searching but I couldn't find anything.

rgwoehr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
She left it unplugged for a day or two and it started to work again. Not sure what the problem was but I guess it's working fine now.

alex5290

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
I bought the ihome ip90 in January and it worked fantastic for the first couple of months. About 2 weeks ago the screen went black and it did not work. I returned it for another one and again, this time within a week, it went dead again. It still charges my ipod but will not play music. I was hesitant to buy another one. Two days later it randomly started working again; this morning it was working. I noticed that the date that appeared was back to factory settings. I came home only to find it dead once again. I dont know what to do/how to fix it! Does anyone have any suggestions?

anteck

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I bought an ex-demo unit from a Apple reseller in Sydney. Turned up dead. Display turns on for three seconds then disappears. Dodgy gear. Have a search on Amazon, heaps of people are reporting the same problem. It's a shame, read some great reports on the unit but it seems to be a fault worthy of taking the unit off the market...

kkrumm

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I90 Problems

User brought one to our shop and I opened it up. Several electrolytic caps have leaked all over the board. Seems this company uses cheap caps and they are failing with disasterous results. Only good fix is to replace all the leaking caps with new ones, but this piece of junk isn't worth the effort! Sorry guys, you are pretty much out of luck unless fixing electronics is your hobby.

Solstice11

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Montana
I just want to throw in my experience with my own iD91. I was having similar issuesthe dock charges the iPod but doesn't play music, and when it did play music it would only play for 10 minutes and stop all of the sudden. How I fixed this was the 30-Pin Port on the bottom of the device had some pocket lint. So after a couple minutes of carefully picking out the lint with a toothpick the dock worked as good as new.

BabyBlueBasa13

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
My ihome just suddenly quit and I'm not sure what's going on...it doesn't light up or charge my phone can someone help me???

iHomeowner

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
iHome rises from dead

Just want to mention that I was moments from throwing my iHome in the garbage but decided to plug it in one last time after reading this forum. It had been unplugged for 2 days, and lo and behold it's working again.

Pamela519

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Ihome iP87 clock works but radio and ipod does not

This has happened to me before. I have my house cleaned every month and randomly after they are here, I will go to turn the radio on and there is no sound. nothing for the ipod either. yet, the time, date, etc. are all working.

how do I get the sound to come back? I can't remember what I did the last time this happened.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE

Spazcat

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
Another one bites the dust

Dunno. Looks like I'm now having the same issue as everyone who's been here before me. My iHome has worked flawlessly until this morning. My iPhone acts like it's not connected when docked but my iPod looks like it's charging when docked. Sound doesn't come out of the unit. Just the internal iPhone speakers. I'm going to unplug it for a day and see if that's the trick.

Pamela519

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I followed all the other examples. Unplug it for a day or two. Also, do you keep batteries in it? If yes, they tell you to take them out while you unplug the iHome. By the way, this last time turns out my outlet was not working!!

Spazcat

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
24 hours later it's still dead. Mine doesn't take batteries and just in case I tried a second outlet. No luck yet :(

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
I90 Problems

User brought one to our shop and I opened it up. Several electrolytic caps have leaked all over the board. Seems this company uses cheap caps and they are failing with disasterous results. Only good fix is to replace all the leaking caps with new ones, but this piece of junk isn't worth the effort! Sorry guys, you are pretty much out of luck unless fixing electronics is your hobby.
Yeah I'd say electronics are my hobby, but I found a bunch of leaky caps on my iH6 and just trashed it. Not worth it. Got it super cheap at a thrift store anyway.

Deformed iHome

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2020
I use ihome ih6 and a few weeks ago it started to smell like a grill for no reason so I unplugged it, cleaned the next day and still smelled bad but my trick is to unplug it for one whole month and it works fine nowadays. The unit was bought during the same year it was manufactured (around 10-15 years ago) and I never had a major problem 'til this past few weeks,

questions that need Answered:
Why did the ihome ih6 smell like that?
very minor but sometimes the iHome 's display just flickers for a few seconds then dims to the lowest option then comes back to where i had it before, any fix to that?
[automerge]1583203529[/automerge]
Yeah I'd say electronics are my hobby, but I found a bunch of leaky caps on my iH6 and just trashed it. Not worth it. Got it super cheap at a thrift store anyway. i use ih6
[automerge]1583203738[/automerge]
a radio device that plays FM and AM radio that tells time and if you have one, you can connect your i pod into it.
what is ihome

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I use ihome ih6 and a few weeks ago it started to smell like a grill for no reason so I unplugged it, cleaned the next day and still smelled bad but my trick is to unplug it for one whole month and it works fine nowadays. The unit was bought during the same year it was manufactured (around 10-15 years ago) and I never had a major problem 'til this past few weeks,

questions that need Answered:
Why did the ihome ih6 smell like that?
very minor but sometimes the iHome 's display just flickers for a few seconds then dims to the lowest option then comes back to where i had it before, any fix to that?
[automerge]1583203529[/automerge]

[automerge]1583203738[/automerge]
a radio device that plays FM and AM radio that tells time and if you have one, you can connect your i pod into it.
Just know that you're responding to posts that were made almost 5 years ago.

Your battery is probably fried and it is leaking. Replace it immediately.

wolff2112

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2024
i have found there to be 6 caps that need replacing in my ihome ip90. anyone have shots of their main pcb board so i can identify 2 of them. ?

Attachments

• IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.