Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoltronBomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I have a iPhone 3gs that is currently running on ios 5. I bought it from someone with the idea that I would unlock it to use with T-Mobile. Because I don't have the AT&T sim card, the phone is stuck in the activation stage.

From what I gathered, it is possible to unlock-untethered on ios 5.0.1 as opposed to a tethered unlock on ios 5.

So my question is how can I update the phone to ios 5.0.1 without a sim card or iTunes?

Thanks,

Specs:

Version 5.0 (9A334)
Serial number 8593740xxxx
Firmware 05.16.05

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can put it in DFU restore mode and restore it.
It will install the latest 5.0.1
Only way to unlock that phone is by installing the ipad baseband btw. Make sure you understand what that does and all the negatives that come with it. Also make sure your 3GS is not a newer release 3GS with the updated baseband cause if you try unlocking you will fry the radio chip and nothing like cellular, bluetooth or wifi will work when its done flashing the ipad baseband. Not sure but I also think you will need an AT&T sim to initially activate it and get in to the homescreen.

VoltronBomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
You can put it in DFU restore mode and restore it.
It will install the latest 5.0.1
Only way to unlock that phone is by installing the ipad baseband btw. Make sure you understand what that does and all the negatives that come with it. Also make sure your 3GS is not a newer release 3GS with the updated baseband cause if you try unlocking you will fry the radio chip and nothing like cellular, bluetooth or wifi will work when its done flashing the ipad baseband. Not sure but I also think you will need an AT&T sim to initially activate it and get in to the homescreen.

How do you put it in DFU mode to restore and update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.