Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Just had too much free time on my hands and thought about what would thrive the TV market really, really forward. That's what I came up with:

- TV with simple, intuitive handling with the Apple Remote or the Remote App on iOS. Duh. We all knew that, didn't we?

- TV with great screen like IPS on iPhone and iPad. Why not? TVs are, after all, used by more people at once. Apple can do that right (if there is something to improve, that is).

- TV with integrated Blu-ray player. Why not? They don't have their issues with iTunes and the 720p content, people will still get to watch their DVDs and Blu-rays and the folks that only choose the Apple TV 2 box for their TV set can stream their iTunes content as usual, but only at 720p, as built in the new Apple TV. (Maybe 1080p content on iTunes will change that, though.)

- TV with integrated home entertainment system, like 5.1. We know things like Philips SoundBar that is one visible speaker emulating 5.1 surround sound, but why not go further and do it right like in an iMac, where everything rolls into one device? Blu-ray-player, 5.1 entertainment, TV all in one device would be just as sexy as an iMac, at least in my book.

- TV with all stuff of iTunes, Genius, personal preferences, playlists, smart infos, whatever.

- Like Best Buy proposes, 42-inch for 1499. What would you say?

I'd say, that's a quite nice guess compared to Siri in a TV set (what the heck?), iOS on a TV set: really? It wouldn't help boosting the resolution to iPad 3-like 2048*1536 because everything else would be look like crap, and why messing around with the Full HD standard that's only just emerging/about being established? And please hold comments about the App Store coming to a TV set.

Of course it would be manageable to get the resolution on a TV, but almost every single app would be rendered useless because of the lack of a touchscreen. An Apple TV/iTV with touchscreen? Pleeeease. I don't want to clean the surface everytime like on my iPad (that's why I personally would never ever use that on a Windows 8 machine, too).

That's my two cents, go on, flak me. Looking forward to it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.