Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Looks like tomorrow is the day for the announcement of the 5DIII - and there's an event in Singapore.

On the evening before there are some very strong rumours as to the final spec.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

Specifications
22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)
61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles
Silent & low vibration modes
Dual card slots (CF & SD)
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
Multiple Exposures
Comparative Playback function
Improved durability & water and dust resistance
Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
Battery – LP-E6
File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

5d3-24-70.jpg

For existing 5DII owners there appears to be surprisingly little change... more like a 5DIIn than a significantly changed model.

Suits me - my existing camera is great and this removes the temptation to spend a load of money upgrading. I predict whining and teeth gnashing from Canon fans though.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Looks like tomorrow is the day for the announcement of the 5DIII - and there's an event in Singapore.

On the evening before there are some very strong rumours as to the final spec.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

Specifications
22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)
61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles
Silent & low vibration modes
Dual card slots (CF & SD)
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
Multiple Exposures
Comparative Playback function
Improved durability & water and dust resistance
Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
Battery – LP-E6
File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

5d3-24-70.jpg

For existing 5DII owners there appears to be surprisingly little change... more like a 5DIIn than a significantly changed model.

Suits me - my existing camera is great and this removes the temptation to spend a load of money upgrading. I predict whining and teeth gnashing from Canon fans though.

I want it. I'll look into getting one when there are some reviews on it. But looks like it will sell for over $4k here in Australia. Not good.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
To me it looks kind of like what everyone has predicted the 5D MkIII will be since the release of the 7D: a full-frame 7D.

I don't think Canon could have made it the camera to end all cameras without stepping on the 1Dx's toes.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
While I've never owned a 5DII, the only thing I ever heard real complaints about was the auto-focus. By addressing that and further extending the high ISO capabilities, this may be the perfect camera for everything but wildlife (where the 7D is probably still king) and pro sports (where the 1DX rules).

I will consider upgrading to this, but two things will hold me back... the price (which is rumoured to be around $3500) and the lack of a full frame lens as versatile as my trusty 17-55 f2.8 IS.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
While I've never owned a 5DII, the only thing I ever heard real complaints about was the auto-focus. By addressing that and further extending the high ISO capabilities, this may be the perfect camera for everything but wildlife (where the 7D is probably still king) and pro sports (where the 1DX rules).

I will consider upgrading to this, but two things will hold me back... the price (which is rumoured to be around $3500) and the lack of a full frame lens as versatile as my trusty 17-55 f2.8 IS.

If I buy the 5d MK III, I'll be keeping my 7D as its an excellent camera. Plus, can use the extra FPS sometimes and my Tokina 11-16mm which won't work on a full frame.

PWNkake

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Bring on the 5D3, so the prices of the 5D2 will drop! I can't wait to pick up a 5D2 to compliment my 7D.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
if this is accurate , I can keep my 5D2 without guilt . Doesn't seem to be any 'must haves in the list for me . But..... tune in tomorrow and let's see what the official announcement says .

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The one thing I want more than anything in a camera is greater dynamic range. Second to that would be histograms that represent raw data instead of JPEG previews. Third is better weather sealing. If I can get two out of three, then I'll have a good reason to sell my 5D Mark II, 7D, and 17-55 f/2.8 IS (plus the 7D's grip and the 5D2's L-bracket). A year ago I was doing a lot of event work and handheld museum stuff that required the 7D and the 17-55, but since then those items have mostly sat on a shelf, forlorn and depreciating. So if the rumors are true, I'll probably trade in the two cameras, the lens, and the accessories for something that will hold its value for another couple of years and, most importantly, will give me at least two out the three items at the top of my wish list.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If it wasn't for the price of lens upgrades from EF-s to go with it I'd seriously consider upgrading my 7D to one of these.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Looks really nice my only real gripe with the 5dmk2 is the autofocus..

Not sure its enough to make my upgrade though, tempted to sit this generation out and pick up the mk4 in 2/3 years???

Maybe concentrate more on glass/lights for the next cple of years

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The more I look at it, the more of a missed opportunity it seems to be.

The 5DII was the main camera that powered the current DSLR movie craze - and while Canon has done some nifty improvements to sound capture, they haven't added peaking or an 'unpolluted' HDMI output. Strikes me as a bit cynical - I think they want to push movie makers to their new video camera range.

Canon's flash system continues to look bad compared to Nikon too. Both the D700 and D800 have a built in flash, which is extremely useful both if you need a small amount of fill, and to act as a commander for Nikon's remote flash system. On the 5D (and II), you had to buy a £170 ST-E2 flash commander, or use Canon's top of the range flash (the 580). No other cheaper flash would act as commander.

It's disappointing that this limitation hasn't been addressed with the new camera. A built in flash would have been nice, or even an integrated wireless transmitter for the new radio flash system.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
As a 5D2 user who uses the centre AF point 98% of the time, this update is not all that compelling.

That said, this is clearly a much better camera than the 5D2 for a new buyer, especially if some of the foibles of the 5D2 are fixed (low ISO shadow noise being the biggest). The improvement in the AF system (to 1DX specs) at least helps Canon eliminate that as a argument for the superiority of Nikon camera. In an odd twist, that argument has now shifted completely 180 degrees: Canon now produces the low(er) megapixel, high-performance AF system DLSR, while Nikon has moved towards extremely high MP cameras (though still with excellent AF specs).

Time will tell whether the D800 shows noise performance at 36MP that competes with the 5D3 at 22MP. Conversely, will the 5D3's 22MP be sufficient, or will the D800's 36MP take the place of digital MF for many users?

Interesting.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Looks really nice my only real gripe with the 5dmk2 is the autofocus..

Not sure its enough to make my upgrade though, tempted to sit this generation out and pick up the mk4 in 2/3 years???

Maybe concentrate more on glass/lights for the next cple of years

If you're a current 5D2 user who can get by with its AF system, then this is a much better bang for the buck than buying a 5D3.

Big "if", though, for some people.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
The 5D2 has been kind of a flawed genius: Image quality to die for, with an older consumer auto focus system.

The 5D3 wish list for many Canon users (maybe not for birders like myself without the cash for expensive 600mm lens :( ) has long been for a 5D2 with the auto focus of a 7D. Now Canon has done better than that by seemingly using the auto focus from the 1DX. Add to that probable improvements in ISO and hopefully DR and you have a significant upgrade to a very successful camera.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Why do you think that the 7D is better?

That's how it was publicised: it has some seals and is generally pretty good but it's not as dunk proof as the 1 series. I could be wrong. In fact I think I might be: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/4

"In keeping with its XD designation, the 7D shares the same extensively-sealed magnesium construction as the 5D Mark II. Canon again claims the same degree of moisture and dust resilience as the EOS-1N pro-level film SLR from the 1990s. "

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
If you're a current 5D2 user who can get by with its AF system, then this is a much better bang for the buck than buying a 5D3.

Big "if", though, for some people.

lol yeah the temptation of the mk3 is strong :)

mind you that 24 70 mk2 gonna take a heck of a lot of saving for too :(

might go with the old 24 70 and be content to be yesterdays man :D:D

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I'm just buying a mkII and keeping my 7D. I'll still have the reach and the FF. I only use center AF so the 61-points don't mean that much. The higher ISO would be nice but I am very rarely shooting low light without additional lighting. The dual cards would be nice, but again not a deal breaker. I think having the two bodies, one crop for distance and action and the FF for landscape, portraits and product photography.

And not having to rent another camera for 2 camera shoots is going to be well invited!

And trust me, I WANT a MKIII. It's just not in the cards for me now. Maybe in a year once some refurbs come in and I can snatch one up cheap with the canon loyalty program.

EDIT - Also, just so everyone is clear, the mkIII is NOT a replacement to the mkII. They will still be producing and selling mkII's. We will see the price come down on them but don't expect miracles. I see Christmas style pricing coming back soon but I wouldn't expect it to drop below $2K.

Last edited:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
EDIT - Also, just so everyone is clear, the mkIII is NOT a replacement to the mkII. They will still be producing and selling mkII's. We will see the price come down on them but don't expect miracles. I see Christmas style pricing coming back soon but I wouldn't expect it to drop below $2K.

Do you have any evidence of that?

The 5DII is way too close in spec to the III to not cannibalise sales - especially given it's around 1/2 the cost.

I know they usually keep selling the prior body in the x00D range for a few $ less - but I'm doubtful they'll do that with the 5DII.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Do you have any evidence of that?

The 5DII is way too close in spec to the III to not cannibalise sales - especially given it's around 1/2 the cost.

I know they usually keep selling the prior body in the x00D range for a few $ less - but I'm doubtful they'll do that with the 5DII.

Do some reading, it has been stated in plenty of articles but I'll just give you one.

http://gizmodo.com/5889763/why-you-should-buy-a-canon-5d-mark-ii-instead

The only sales I see it canabalizing is that of the 7D. It could just be the pushing point to get people into FF. If it drops down to $2200 like christmas prices there will be a 1300 difference. That is significant. Pros won't go for a mkII when for them the 3500 price tag is peanuts. But for amateurs, it being so close to the 7D might be persuasive. Who knows though.

Personally, if the mkIII came in at $2800 I would have bought it but now I'm just going to buy a refurb for ~2000.

Last edited:

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

I beg to differ. What would you categorize as a major change? Jumping up 10MP a'la D800?

You're gaining the absolute best Canon offers 61pt AF
A brand new CMOS sensor more advanced that the 5DII
100% Viewfinder
6.0fps shooting
Dual SD/CF Card slot
Improved Video (720p 60 for one)

This is not a 5DIIn model, it's an entirely new camera.

I also would say the reason most 5DII shooters are center point focus users is cause outside the center point focus was abysmal, once you can actually use all your focus points you leave that cozy center. I switched from the 5DII to the 7D for the AF, I got sick of blurry photos. The 5DIII will now have an even better AF than the 7D - that is a huge upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.