Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtiger91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question about availability of the upcoming ipad 3 at websites such as jr.com and macconnection.com that do not charge sales tax for most states.

I got my ipad2 from jr.com without CA sales tax about 2 months after the launch date but I don't know exactly when they received their first shipment. I know bigger retailers like bestbuy and target get their shipment pretty early and I wonder if that would be the same case for smaller retailers.

Thanks in advance!

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
hmm, good call. I would be interested in this as well. I'm not too keen on shelling out an extra $40-50 in taxes.

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Macmall.com had the iPad 2 early on. I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard their customer service isn't the greatest

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Powermax.com is another option. You also get $10 off $100 when you sign up to newsletter

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
B&H.COM in NYC, an "Official" Apple reseller does not charge tax and they have plenty in stock. I am in NJ and there was no sales tax. The $50 sales tax saved will get me a nice case.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
That'd only work if the location had no sales tax. In-person sales are taxed at the local rate since by definition they're not interstate sales... :)

They are if you use your out-of-state address though, aren't they? I know people that have bought cars that way. Or does that only work when things are shipped? I just know everything I've bought from the Apple store is attached to my address and email.

But in general I agree, when traveling I always pay the tax for the locale that I'm in.

Taxes in my neighboring states are less than mine, but you'd burn more in gas than you'd save in taxes.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
b&h is back ordered for about 10 days according to the phone rep this morning. Adorama won't receive any until the 26th and they won't sell to any new customers.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
b&h is back ordered for about 10 days according to the phone rep this morning. Adorama won't receive any until the 26th and they won't sell to any new customers.
I depends on which model you want. Online it shows about half of them as in stock. I ordered the 32Gig Verizon Black today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=apple+new+ipad&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

----------

They are if you use your out-of-state address though, aren't they? I know people that have bought cars that way. Or does that only work when things are shipped? I just know everything I've bought from the Apple store is attached to my address and email.

But in general I agree, when traveling I always pay the tax for the locale that I'm in.

Taxes in my neighboring states are less than mine, but you'd burn more in gas than you'd save in taxes.
Only works when shipped. Many years ago (late 70's early 80's) places like B&H, Adorama and all the NYC camera stores would ship an empty box to your home and give you the product on the spot with no tax. They got busted for that and no longer do it except sometimes even now the smaller stores can be convinced with "green."

When you buy a new or used car out of your state of residence you are not charged sales tax but when you get back to your home state and register or title it (or whatever your state calls it) you then pay the sales tax of your state of residence.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Powermax.com is another option. You also get $10 off $100 when you sign up to newsletter

Thanks for posting this. They are not in stock at the moment, but I ordered. They will ship to me when it arrives. I also got $10 off. Originally, I was looking at a 32GB model, but with the money saved, I went ahead and got a 64GB+4G.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
I had ordered my Mac Mini through macmall and they still hound the **** out of me today on the phone about how my order was, do i want to order anything else etc....pain in the A$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.