Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Not quite sure when it stopped, but it's around the 10.7.3 time.

So, no "whoosh" for outgoing email or Buzz-Bing for incoming email.

Any ideas?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I have had that too - about a month ago - currently running 10.7.3

No mail sounds at all - if I quit Mail then the sounds starting working again....

Does that work on yours ??

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I wouldn't have posted if the volume was turned down... :roll eyes:

I've rebooted for several unrelated issues, and I've also quit Mail a few times, no effect.

And before someone else asks if sounds are enabled in Mail, yes, they are and always have been.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects > Play alerts and sound effects through: (what do you have selected here?)
Also, do you have "Play user interface sound effects" checked?

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Do you have any sound at all? From other apps etc?

If it is specific to mail.app, then follow the advice in the post above.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects > Play alerts and sound effects through: (what do you have selected here?)

* Internal Speakers
* Yes, it's selected.

Do you have any sound at all? From other apps etc?

If it is specific to mail.app, then follow the advice in the post above.

Yes, all other apps happily chiming beeping and bleeping away.

Boy, I just hate doing a PRAM reset without knowing why or how it will fix the issue. Not saying I won't do it, but I don't like it.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Nothing in any of those documents tells me why one single solitary app would have it's sounds restored via a PRAM reset.

All apps? Sure. One app? Not at all.

In any case, I was preparing to shut down so I could restart and zap the PRAM and I had an email to finish composing and send. Wouldn't you know, the sounds are back with no change made by me whatsoever. This actually bugs me even more now - a computer shouldn't exhibit random behavior like this.

I've run into more weird things on Lion than any other release, and I've been using Macs since... the mid 80s.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Sounds stuck in a queue?

Minor update:

Some time after my last post, the email sounds came back and remained back for a good long time, long enough for me to forget about this issue.

Yesterday, the sounds disappeared again. Just now I decided to have a look at my audio preferences. Nothing amiss there. So I closed the pref pane, and upon doing so, I was greeted with a series of incoming buzz-beeps followed by about 10 "whooshes."

So now I'm wondering if what's really happening is that there's a queue where these sounds are being held up; something I did with the pref pane caused the queue to empty.

Again, the only app with this issue is Mail.app.

Weird.

mhutson

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I found this on another board, and it worked for me:

"Success - in the Audio Midi Setup (Applications/Utilities) I changed the output to 2ch - 32bit Float and all the audio works well."

yoslater

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
worked for me

Thanks for the tip, the audio adjustment in Utilities (Audio Midi) seemed to fix my mail noise issue.

Thanks

atm2

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Missing sounds in Mail

Ever since installing Mountain Lion, my sounds have been missing in Mail UNLESS I restart my computer, after which the sounds will play until I put the computer to sleep. Then they vanish again.

Finally I've found the answer: I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" in System Preferences' Energy Saver menu, both for battery power and AC power. I restarted my computer, and the sounds were back for good.

Doing without Power Nap is a small price to pay; I just have to remember to back up to my Time Machine manually.

yoslater

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Bummer

Well mine worked until it went to sleep as the post above talks about. The sound came back after re-start. I will have un-check the power nap mode, any downside to this other than using more battery??

mhutson

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Never Mind

"Success - in the Audio Midi Setup (Applications/Utilities) I changed the output to 2ch - 32bit Float and all the audio works well."

UPDATE: This no longer works. I still regularly lose Mail sound effects.

tjshermann

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
With Thanks

Ever since installing Mountain Lion, my sounds have been missing in Mail UNLESS I restart my computer, after which the sounds will play until I put the computer to sleep. Then they vanish again.

Finally I've found the answer: I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" in System Preferences' Energy Saver menu, both for battery power and AC power. I restarted my computer, and the sounds were back for good.

Doing without Power Nap is a small price to pay; I just have to remember to back up to my Time Machine manually.

Thank you SO much for your suggestion. I've now got incoming AND outgoing email sounds......that 'whoosh' is wonderful to hear again..:)

Yatko

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I had to say Thank You!

:apple:

MaxBlast

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011

ah that fixed it for me. had a virtual audio device selected here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.