Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi All,

Does anybody know if the iPad 1 mirrors You Tube with the new Apple TV? If not, will it mirror with ant APtv generations?

Thanks,

CFS

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Hi All,

Does anybody know if the iPad 1 mirrors You Tube with the new Apple TV? If not, will it mirror with ant APtv generations?

Thanks,

CFS

It has done to the ATV2 for ages. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't to the ATV3.

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
From what I have read, it's doesn't fully mirror, bu some apps will.

I think the OP is confused about mirroring and is asking about airplay. You can use airplay to watch youtube video's but an ipad 1 can't mirror its display to any atv. It just doesn't have the specs to manage that.

To the OP is there a reason you don't just use youtube on the atv3 itself rather then airplay from the ipad.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I think the OP is confused about mirroring and is asking about airplay. You can use airplay to watch youtube video's but an ipad 1 can't mirror its display to any atv. It just doesn't have the specs to manage that.

To the OP is there a reason you don't just use youtube on the atv3 itself rather then airplay from the ipad.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure this out for my 80 year old dad who just recently became addicted with You Tube. If you don't mind helping me out, if my dad is using his iPad on the couch, does it show up on the tv through Apple TV. Sorry but I feel like I'm missing something.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
No. Apple TV won't mirror from iPad 1. Mirroring only works from iPad 2 or 3. But you can use the remote app on iPad 1 to control music or video streaming via Airplay from your iTunes on your main computer to Apple TV.

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks. I'm trying to figure this out for my 80 year old dad who just recently became addicted with You Tube. If you don't mind helping me out, if my dad is using his iPad on the couch, does it show up on the tv through Apple TV. Sorry but I feel like I'm missing something.

I just took that screenshot using my mums ipad 1 using airplay to my atv3 and it works fine. All you do is push that blue button at the bottom of the youtube vid on the ipad and select the atv3 and it will work fine.

Attachments

• photohmk.jpg
    photohmk.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 584

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I just took that screenshot using my mums ipad 1 using airplay to my atv3 and it works fine. All you do is push that blue button at the bottom of the youtube vid on the ipad and select the atv3 and it will work fine.

Thanks so much for trying this out?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The iPad 1 mirrors? I thought that was an iPad 2/iPhone 4S feature. No?

B

To clarify my answer, the OP asked whether it mirrored YouTube. I ignored the slightly incorrect wording in his question, as you can AirPlay YouTube from the ipad1.

As people have correctly stated AirPlay Mirroring doesn't work from the original iPad, but you can certainly send YouTube and other specific Apps to the ATV via AirPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.