Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmithCoronaGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I want to know what my kids are posting; there have been problems in their communities. They need to understand that anyone, at some point, can see what they put on the Internet. I've told them: the monitoring software is to teach them to think before they type. But the best- rated programs are for Windows! Anyone suggest easy-to-use, reliable keylogger for OSX?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I recommend: parenting

This is one of those times where you need to man up (or whatever the female equivalent is) and take responsibility for your offspring, rather than attempt to offload your responsibility to someone or something else (e.g., invading your kids privacy via dodgy software).

This sort of thing will only make your kid(s) rebel - rather than logging what your kids are doing, supervise them and talk to them about your concerns.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I want to know what my kids are posting; there have been problems in their communities. They need to understand that anyone, at some point, can see what they put on the Internet. I've told them: the monitoring software is to teach them to think before they type. But the best- rated programs are for Windows! Anyone suggest easy-to-use, reliable keylogger for OSX?
I know a friend uses BackTrack to ensure he won't lose any work due to unexpected quits and so on, maybe it's something for you? http://web.me.com/wmodesitt/BackTrack/Main.html

I recommend: parenting

This is one of those times where you need to man up (or whatever the female equivalent is) and take responsibility for your offspring, rather than attempt to offload your responsibility to someone or something else (e.g., invading your kids privacy via dodgy software).

This sort of thing will only make your kid(s) rebel - rather than logging what your kids are doing, supervise them and talk to them about your concerns.

Bravo. A concept that seems to be lost these days.
Whilst trust is indeed an important factor in letting your kids mature, this is not always enough. And since all kids are individuals even in the womb, different kids need different parenting.

Feeling you need a key logger to monitor your kid's internet activity could just as well be a positive thing as it could be negative. It lets the kid use the computer without having a parent present, and if he or she handles it without doing anything wrong, the key logger will never come up to discussion.

Also, a key logger could just as well be useful to protect them from groomers, discover that they're being bullied, that they're having suicidal thoughts or whatnot.

If you wouldn't let your kids go down town, to the mall or whatever on their own, then why would you let them be by themselves on the internet which could be a much scarier place? Imagine your eleven year old daughter is constantly hanging around anorexia pages, or suicide forums. Wouldn't you want to know? These are not things that prove they haven't had enough parenting, or bad parenting, just that they're in need of help.

Stop being so damn judgmental, we have no idea what kind of kids the OP has, and not monitoring what your kids are doing online might just as well be more harmful than doing so.

SmithCoronaGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for your thoughts

Hafr,thanks for getting it. I am sad that I must go this route. But you're absolutely right: I would not let my kids wander in the malls or other places without supervision. The schools have not taught them digital citizenship. Being young and impulsive, they do not yet appreciate the longterm consequences of what they type; they are easily drawn into spats with kids online. A computer monitor's lack of face-to-face response disinhibits them. Moreover, there have been some terribly toxic and near-tragic cyber-events in our community.

And yes, we talk with them. A lot. Have you ever seen a kid's face glaze over?

They know that we are using the software as a teaching tool, to help them pause and reconsider before pressing "send." In addition, we are putting a note by the computer: "Think Before You Type: Nothing Online Is Private. Anyone can copy, paste, send."

In time, as they mature, we hope to remove the software. And yes, groomers, anorexic sites, all sorts, are of concern.

The very popular and highly regarded MacGruff safety software, recommended by many parenting and computer magazines, doesn't work on Macs. That's why I was seeking your advice about products anyone has found that may be nearly as reliable.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Have a look at this:

http://www.spectorsoft.com/products/Spector_Macintosh/

I have not used it myself, but know what it is capable of on the Windows platform. It's basically a way to look at everything that is going on on a particular computer.

As long as you are clear with your kids that you are monitoring their online activities, I have no quarrel with using technology to do this instead of being in the same room as them while they are on the computer and looking over their shoulders.

B

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am sad that I must go this route. But you're absolutely right"

Old saying (I believe it comes from Russia):
"Trust, but verify."

Sounds good to me...

SmithCoronaGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Thank you again...

I've read about SpectorSoft and Aobo and a few others. Just didn't know if anyone out there is familiar with the easiest and most reliable program (technology and me? Not so good). And yes, the point is indeed to tell my kids about it , not to "spy" on them surreptitiously. It's a way to teach them to internalize and then apply their own brakes online.

It's a sad tool in the parenting quiver but, if I can find a reliable one, I'm grateful. They have little understanding that postings and ruminations online are NOT like diaries, private phone calls or even snailmail.

Trust, but verify. Indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.