Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Recently Mail ( Tiger ), has started playing up......

It has intermitantly stopped finding new emails - so I'll press 'Get Mail' and it'll show nothing new. Then if I quit Mail, and start it again. will have loads ( and sometimes showing old emails that I have deleted as ' new ' ).

Any ideas?

Thanks

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
The new version that comes with Tiger is buggy. That's just the way it is... sometimes it won't show ANY messages in any of my mailboxes and I have to restart it, sometimes it shows duplicates of all my messages and I have to restart it, etc. It's a joke, even Outlook Express is better.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Mine hasnt been able to access my GMAIL account within the past week. Mail has been perfect for me since I have owned my Mac since Tigers introduction. But now it just keeps trying to connect and doesnt show me my new mails, so I have been having to go to the gmail site to check for new ones.

It sucks, anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

Thanks.

indigoblu

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
My PB has only had Tiger on it since I bought it. Every version of Mail (Tiger 10, 10.1, and 10.2) has been buggy and unreliable. Sometimes I'll send some emails and they disappear - don't show in the sent folder or anywhere else after I hit send. Sometimes the program will "almost" freeze, it looks like it's doing something, but nothing is happening for about an hour. If someone sends me large files, it freezes. The most recent update didn't fix anything. I use webmail for my .mac email because Mail is so unreliable. Mail in Panther worked fine, why'd they have to mess it up? This is the only real let-down with Tiger.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
benwa02 said:
Mine hasnt been able to access my GMAIL account within the past week. Mail has been perfect for me since I have owned my Mac since Tigers introduction. But now it just keeps trying to connect and doesnt show me my new mails, so I have been having to go to the gmail site to check for new ones.

It sucks, anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

Thanks.
Similar issues here... Do you get the little triangle icon or the tilde icon telling you you're offline and to check w/ your mail server?

Eh, sometimes if I click on the little button thingie Mail can fix itself. Other times, if I quit outta Mail and get back in, it will work. Shrugg, lame I know, sorry, that's all I've tried.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Mail.app works pretty well for me. Been accessing GMail fine, better than on Panther where I would constantly get asked to re-enter my password. Handles IMAP and POP accounts well and even works with my hotmail account (httpmail), however it does choke on large attachments every now and then.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
devilot76 said:
Similar issues here... Do you get the little triangle icon or the tilde icon telling you you're offline and to check w/ your mail server?

Eh, sometimes if I click on the little button thingie Mail can fix itself. Other times, if I quit outta Mail and get back in, it will work. Shrugg, lame I know, sorry, that's all I've tried.

All mine does is just keeps doing that connecting thing with the bars going in circles. If I let it it would just keep doing it all day. Quiting Mail and reopening it does nothing for me.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
benwa02 said:
All mine does is just keeps doing that connecting thing with the bars going in circles. If I let it it would just keep doing it all day. Quiting Mail and reopening it does nothing for me.
Mine did that only one time... so I decided to redo the entire set-up again (following gmail's procedures). That's what I did in the first place, but I thought it couldn't hurt to redo it. Shrugg. I haven't had it keep spinning afterward.

marathonman38

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2005
Utah
Entering Password over and over...

Just moved over from the PC to an iMac. Started using Mail, man I thought there wouldn't be so many features I miss from outlook express. :( But having to re-enter my password when I launch it and send anything is a major pain. With three email accounts, this grows old. About ready to switch to Thunderbird...

Any suggestions on how to get the passwords working? :confused:

thx
marathonman38

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
devilot76 said:
Mine did that only one time... so I decided to redo the entire set-up again (following gmail's procedures). That's what I did in the first place, but I thought it couldn't hurt to redo it. Shrugg. I haven't had it keep spinning afterward.

I decided to do what you did and redo Gmails setup procedures. Voila, it worked. Wish I thought of that.

It works mint now. Shweeet!

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
EDIT: Nevermind, it stopped working after a few times of checking my mail. Its back to the spinning again. This bites.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
marathonman38 said:
Just moved over from the PC to an iMac. Started using Mail, man I thought there wouldn't be so many features I miss from outlook express. :( But having to re-enter my password when I launch it and send anything is a major pain. With three email accounts, this grows old. About ready to switch to Thunderbird...

Any suggestions on how to get the passwords working? :confused:

thx
marathonman38

Me too! Me Too!

Somebody please give us a fix!

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
chaos86 said:
Me too! Me Too!

Somebody please give us a fix!

I posted earlier... in the Hardware Help forum... dumb me.

Current Problem - same as yours: Mail will not remember passwords.

Old Mac (iBook G4) on Tiger worked fine, transferred mail files to new iMac and reformatted... currently back to Panther and Mail works fine with all my accounts.

The transferred accounts to the new iMac G5 - only the .mac account remembers its password. For the gmail account and two other POP3 accounts I need to re-enter the passwords every time I start Mail.

Solution I think I'm going to try tonight... Drag all the emails to my .mac account. Delete the three non-working accounts. reboot. repair permissions, reboot, setup the three accounts all over again.

At least then I'll have saved the old emails, and can try to get the POP accounts working again.

Sound like a workable idea?

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
cardiac dave said:
I posted earlier... in the Hardware Help forum... dumb me.

Current Problem - same as yours: Mail will not remember passwords.

Old Mac (iBook G4) on Tiger worked fine, transferred mail files to new iMac and reformatted... currently back to Panther and Mail works fine with all my accounts.

The transferred accounts to the new iMac G5 - only the .mac account remembers its password. For the gmail account and two other POP3 accounts I need to re-enter the passwords every time I start Mail.

Solution I think I'm going to try tonight... Drag all the emails to my .mac account. Delete the three non-working accounts. reboot. repair permissions, reboot, setup the three accounts all over again.

At least then I'll have saved the old emails, and can try to get the POP accounts working again.

Sound like a workable idea?

WORKED - Mail is saving passwords for newly created POP3 accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.