Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Today I made a big move...

My iPhone is on eBay and my Galaxy Nexus is on it's way from the Play Store.

I think Google finally shipped something that can sway me from iOS for good.

Google Maps on Android > Google Maps on iOS 5 > Apple Maps on iOS 6
Street View, Transit info, Navigation...

Google Now is faster and does more than Siri

Butter on 4.1 finally smooths things out. It actually looks like a polished OS now.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Congrats. I hope your new phone suits you well.

I am still very happy with my iPhone, but each person is different.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Galaxy Nexus is awesome although Galaxy S 3 and HTC One X might be better. Also I'll admit, I'm super jealous of Google Now's predictive cards and yeah Google Maps is way better at this point. I still love Apple because I'm so invested into the iOS ecosystem, but the iPhone is still perfect for me and Google is coming out with a Maps app sometime (Apple probably won't allow it till a few months after iOS 6 comes out at least). Apple needs to do something about Google Now though, and widgets and some UI customization.... might have to wait again till iOS 7 for that.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
GPS/Maps are your priority I take it?

Pretty high on the list. That and Siri was only good at launch and afterword, she slowed to a crawl.

I have a theory as to why Google now outperforms Siri.

Apple pulls info from various sources.

Google now is essentially pulling it from Google Search. Google Search rarely goes down.

Apple is in the hardware business first and offering services as a secondary.

Google is IN the SEARCH BUSINESS.

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
good thing imessage and camera + photo stream isnt just "a little bit" better but completely destroys android

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
good thing imessage and camera + photo stream isnt just "a little bit" better but completely destroys android

I have unlimited SMS messages, but even if I didn't and I cared about saving on text messages, I could just use Google Voice to text.

So... a Camera app with a few novelty filters make an entire OS better?

Photostream is a good idea, but hardly a dealbreaker.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
The screen size of the iPhone is big enough a deal killer - add to that the 4.1 stuff - Google Now, Navigation, Real Chrome, Polish and Butter, Great Multitasking and it quickly becomes impossible to consider the iPhone.

Ready to throw away my iPad after my Nexus 7 arrives - just wish there was a iTunes U clone for Android.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Pretty high on the list. That and Siri was only good at launch and afterword, she slowed to a crawl.

Google now is essentially pulling it from Google Search. Google Search rarely goes down.

Google is in the ADVERTISING business. Make sure you give google lots of info to sell to advertisers.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S, a Motorola RAZR, and previously owned the original Droid for 2 years before the 4S. Android is nice and all, but the apps are what swayed me to iOS. They're just better made and more plentiful with the App Store vs Google Play.
IMO apps are the biggest deciding factor between mobile OSs.

Is this your first Android device?

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I have unlimited SMS messages, but even if I didn't and I cared about saving on text messages, I could just use Google Voice to text.

So... a Camera app with a few novelty filters make an entire OS better?

Photostream is a good idea, but hardly a dealbreaker.

You think Imessage is simply saving people text messages??? It sends and recieves imessages INSTANTLY and can send pictures ultra fast it allows the viewing of sent and recieved and other customizations like that

Think of it as the BBM of iphones its not there just to simply save text's.

And I have never touched the filters on the 4s camera but let me tell you the 4s easily compete's with any smartphone out now EVEN the brand new SIII

Photo steam isnt simply a good idea once you use it and realize how useful and how much you use it and how easy it makes things YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Google's search is pretty fast. Makes me wonder if they're aggressively caching data so that when you ask some questions it just pulls it from the cache. Should be too hard to cache small bits of data like the current weather and other things.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Buster Heine from Cult of Mac switched to a Google Nexus from an iPhone 4S after having Joe Brown from Gizmodo on their Cultcast the other week. They were talking about iOS 6 and how stale it feels and Buster thought he'd try out an Android phone to see what else was out there. Note, this wasn't because he was 'sick' of iOS, but because he thought he owed it to himself to see what else was out there, even though he prefers the iPhone.

His recent tweets, and he's not biased, state what has always been my number one problem with Android; responsiveness of the touch screen.

"Jelly Bean's new "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" feature has made some huge improvements for my Nexus' touch responsiveness".

But ...

"Still not on par with the iPhone, but getting closer. That small lag in responsiveness is the most repulsive part of Android phones".

It's the one thing I've always noticed straight away when trying out demo units or friends units when it comes to Android devices. I've no idea why they cannot replicate the 'instant' responsiveness of the iOS device screens.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm not going to lie, 4.1 is WAY faster than ICS. My Nexus shipped with ICS and I had it for a few days, then I put 4.1 on it. Android is definitely catching up in terms of smoothness now. Its still not as smooth as iOS, but its CLOSE. I can only imagine what Android 5.0 is going to bring. Next year, just may be my last year with an iPhone. :( Having an 4.65, basically a 4.7" screen is so NICE! I can't believe people say its too large. To each its own.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

Butter on 4.1 finally smooths things out. It actually looks like a polished OS now.
Well I hope you enjoy it but I disagree with several of your points. Apple Maps is still months away from release, but I think it's much better than Google Maps on iOS 5 and even on Android -- or at least it will be once more high resolution vector maps are available. Flyover view is outright amazing and the Yelp integration is fantastic.

And Google Now may be faster in some instances but it certainly doesn't do more than Siri. It seems to be focusing more on retrieving information, e.g asking about the weather, rather than performing commands, e.g managing your calendars, etc.

GHOSTFIELD

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012

Jobs said Siri is more about artificial intelligence than search business. Siri is more interactive, while Google now merely gives you information.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
i made the jump from my iphone 4s to galaxy s3. can't wait for 4.1 to be on this sucka :) as it's already plenty fast.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
But I don't need conversation with any AI. I need info and I need it as fast as possible.
It's not about conversation, it's about being able to understand context. Siri's not perfect, but it's pretty good so far. With Siri you don't need to use any specific commands, or ask it something in a particular way, you simply ask whatever you want however you would normally -- this way there's no learning curve.

Google Now's about retrieving information -- and about presenting it to you depending on where you are and what you're doing, Siri's about... becoming like the computer in Star Trek, but smarter. Still far from it though :p

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Bye bye

Now please don't feel the need to hang around here be bash your former phone, cause really, no one cares.

Aug 26, 2008
Made the same move. 4.1 on the Galaxy Nexus is much superior to what I saw of iOS 6 on my now sold iPhone 4S. I don't think you will miss the iPhone, nor do I think the iPhone will win me back anytime soon. It would take a radical shift. Google is very far ahead at this point IMO.

----------

Buster Heine from Cult of Mac switched to a Google Nexus from an iPhone 4S after having Joe Brown from Gizmodo on their Cultcast the other week. They were talking about iOS 6 and how stale it feels and Buster thought he'd try out an Android phone to see what else was out there. Note, this wasn't because he was 'sick' of iOS, but because he thought he owed it to himself to see what else was out there, even though he prefers the iPhone.

His recent tweets, and he's not biased, state what has always been my number one problem with Android; responsiveness of the touch screen.

"Jelly Bean's new "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" feature has made some huge improvements for my Nexus' touch responsiveness".

But ...

"Still not on par with the iPhone, but getting closer. That small lag in responsiveness is the most repulsive part of Android phones".

It's the one thing I've always noticed straight away when trying out demo units or friends units when it comes to Android devices. I've no idea why they cannot replicate the 'instant' responsiveness of the iOS device screens.

You think a guy from "Cult of Mac" isn't biased? At this point I'd say the responsiveness difference is maybe about...5%. And the functionality and overall usefulness of Android 4.1 vs iOS 6 is maybe about...200%, if not more. I know which one I would (and did) pick. Sorry, it's not close anymore.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Made the same move. 4.1 on the Galaxy Nexus is much superior to what I saw of iOS 6 on my now sold iPhone 4S. I don't think you will miss the iPhone, nor do I think the iPhone will win me back anytime soon. It would take a radical shift. Google is very far ahead at this point IMO.

----------

You think a guy from "Cult of Mac" isn't biased? At this point I'd say the responsiveness difference is maybe about...5%. And the functionality and overall usefulness of Android 4.1 vs iOS 6 is maybe about...200%, if not more. I know which one I would (and did) pick. Sorry, it's not close anymore.

A bit hypocritical, surely? The overall usefulness of Android 4.1 vs iOS 6 is 200%? How did you come up with that figure? I'm neutral, I own both Android and iOS devices and I agree that in some respects the Android OS has more functionality, but not that much more.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I've been using Nexus Android phones side by side with iPhones for the past several years. Running 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus right now (along with iOS6 beta on a 4S).

I like google now, pretty cool, but feels much different than Siri in what you can ask about - a lot of things I ask Siri, when asked to google now just result in a web search. I'm sure both will improve with time anyway.

I feel like I've heard this since Android 2.3 in late 2010 with the Nexus S. They have made great improvements with the UI and responsiveness, but it's still not at iOS level.

Regarding maps - I absolutely agree. I've been out of town recently with both phones and iOS maps was terrible - not only were POI type searches useless, it couldn't find a simple street address. Google maps with nav on a 4.65" 720p screen is just amazing to use (though for day to day use I hate the size of the nexus).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.