Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
i have a bunch of photos in the photos app that comes with the ipad. i can delete the photos thats on my camera roll but i uploaded some photos from my computer directly to my ipad 2 using usb thing. i want to delete one of those photos but i cant find a way to do that. the little trashcan symbol doesnt show up on those photos like it does on the camera roll photos. how can i delete the photos i uploaded/synced from my computer using the usb thing?

Kevin8316

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
MD
Yes, I would like to know too. It's like you can't delete photos that weren't taken with my iPad or iPhone. I wonder if you have to connect to iTunes using a pc and then delete them fron iTunes. I have 5gb of old photos and would like to delete probably 50% of them.

ckc

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
i have a bunch of photos in the photos app that comes with the ipad. i can delete the photos thats on my camera roll but i uploaded some photos from my computer directly to my ipad 2 using usb thing. i want to delete one of those photos but i cant find a way to do that. the little trashcan symbol doesnt show up on those photos like it does on the camera roll photos. how can i delete the photos i uploaded/synced from my computer using the usb thing?

If you have synced the photos from your iPad or iPhone to your computer and the synced them back later you can only delete them by deleting the images from the folder on your computer and then resycning it again.
One the photos are in a folder on your computer and been synced to your device that is the only way to delete them

BookakeJones

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012

Go into iTunes and delete from the folder itself.

iPutz

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Within the Photo app, select the album you want to delete the photos in. Then touch the arrow icon in the upper right of the screen. Then select each photo you want to delete, should show a blue circle with a white check mark on the photo when selected. When all are selected, hit delete.

I just deleted over 2 gbs of photos like this earlier today. Only took a couple of minutes.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Photos sync'd to the iPad from iTunes can only be removed by either settings iTunes to not sync (and thereby removing them) or removing the photos on the computer and then sync again (removing them from the iPad).

There is no delete option locally on the iPad for sync'd photos.

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
Photos sync'd to the iPad from iTunes can only be removed by either settings iTunes to not sync (and thereby removing them) or removing the photos on the computer and then sync again (removing them from the iPad).

There is no delete option locally on the iPad for sync'd photos.

GAHH, I'm having the same issue too.

If there's no delete option locally for sync'd photos, then what else is there to do? So far, the only option I have to get photos onto my iPad in the first place is to *sync* them, no drag 'n drop options to be seen - God forbid we make things easy. From there, they just STAY there until I manually uncheck them from the source (my MBP)? For real?

Yeah, I know I sound pissed :) But come on, does this need really to be a painful process?

EDIT: There's the 'Manually Manage Music and Videos' option which allows for an easy drag 'n drop for both my iPhone and iPad, does something exist for Photos somewhere??

Last edited:

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
It's simple and some of these peoples solutions are completely off the wall.

They're synced photos, you can't delete it them from the iPad without erasing ALL of them via the Settings app.

You want to connect it back to your computer, and delete that photo or move out of the folder so it won't sync back to your iPad and you can also uncheck that photo.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
lol I remember posting about this in 2010. I haven't synced a photo to my iPad since. Now I Only keep imported photos from my camera and downloaded photos in my library. :D iOS is still goofy in the middle of 2013

Yoavdt1plca

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
In that case it depends on how you currently sync photos. If you sync from your iPhoto library you can create an album of only the pics you want. But this methods doesn't completely delete photos from iPad, it still can be recovered by iOS professional data recovery.

You would need special apps/programs like Safe Eraser to permanently deleted data from your iPad device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.