Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I was wondering if there was any easy way to disable all incoming and outgoing background data?

I am having to use a 3G mobile dongle at the moment and osx is really eating through my data usage. I'm just browsing, running mail, google chat and some php editing.

I know icloud and app store updates are busy doing their thing in the background. I wondered if i could disable all of this extra stuff easily?

Thanks,

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I was wondering if there was any easy way to disable all incoming and outgoing background data?

I am having to use a 3G mobile dongle at the moment and osx is really eating through my data usage. I'm just browsing, running mail, google chat and some php editing.

I know icloud and app store updates are busy doing their thing in the background. I wondered if i could disable all of this extra stuff easily?

Thanks,

There is an app called "Little Snitch" that pops up and asks you every time an app tries to send data. You have the option to allow it once or forever. In your case, if you pick once, the thing would pester the heck out of you. I routinely use LS to prevent apps from "phoning home" to tell me about updates I don't need or have time for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.