Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clipper720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
My wife has had an iPhone 4 through AT&T for two years and was up for renewal, so I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 on the 14th through AT&T's site. On the 15th she told me she wanted to switch to Verizon because she gets crappy reception with AT&T at her office.

Anyone have advice on how to get out of an AT&T preorder and get Verizon service or am I screwed??

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
Call AT&T customer service and tell them you want to cancel the order.

If it's too late you should be able to return it and just pay a small restocking fee. After the ATT deal is sorted, just contact Verizon and they'd be happy to help you port your number.

clipper720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I tried contacting AT&T customer service, and they said they are unable to cancel any iPhone 5 preorders because i accepted the terms and conditions. Is that accurate, or did I just not push them hard enough?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I tried contacting AT&T customer service, and they said they are unable to cancel any iPhone 5 preorders because i accepted the terms and conditions. Is that accurate, or did I just not push them hard enough?

Refuse delivery and it will be returned to AT&T. It may take a few weeks but they will credit you CC.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I think you should have 30 days to cancel. Just refuse shipment. AT&T customer service is pretty sleazy. I downgraded from a $59.99 shared plan to a $39.99 individual plan and the guy tacked on a $20 unlimited messaging plan without even mentioning it. Just blatantly tried to rip me off. Luckily I looked at my account and saw "unlimited messaging" and called them to get it removed. Very sleazy.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
If you do not open the package, there is no restocking fee.

You may not be able to cancel the order right now, but you can cancel it later. It is in process, hence that answer.

LetMeBlastU

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bay Area, CA
My wife has had an iPhone 4 through AT&T for two years and was up for renewal, so I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 on the 14th through AT&T's site. On the 15th she told me she wanted to switch to Verizon because she gets crappy reception with AT&T at her office.

Anyone have advice on how to get out of an AT&T preorder and get Verizon service or am I screwed??

you should be able to return

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

I didn't think that you accepted the terms of service till after the package arrived and you called to activate it

clipper720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone! And to confirm, if I return the phone, I will still be able to get out of the AT&T contract without any termination fees because my original contract is outside of the two-year window?

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
You have at least 15 days to return it, no contract extension.

I know your pain btw. I wasn't planning on upgrading at all, wife came home last week and said she either wanted to switch to Verizon or throw her phone in the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.