Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have been having this problem, and it seems to be somewhat common amongst other ATV3 users.

I get a video going on my MBA, try to mirror it up to my TV...the video mirrors just fine, but the audio continues to come out of the MBA speakers rather than the TV. However, if I turn the volume up or down, the little "audio up and down squeak tone" comes from the TV.

I have had this happen in the past and I would just restart the ATV3 and that would usually fix it (actually I would just put it to sleep rather than doing the full restart). Sometimes I would have to sleep/wake it a couple times, but it would eventually work. Last night I tried and tried and tried, sleep/wake like 10 times, manually restarted the ATV like 5 times, restarted the MBA, disconnected and reconnected wifi, everything, and I just couldn't get the audio to mirror to the TV. Finally I just gave up and decided to watch the video on the MBA.

Is there any sort of fix for this other than restarting? FWIW I have a 2012 MBA, ATV3, and a regular old Netgear router.

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I have been having this problem, and it seems to be somewhat common amongst other ATV3 users.

I get a video going on my MBA, try to mirror it up to my TV...the video mirrors just fine, but the audio continues to come out of the MBA speakers rather than the TV. However, if I turn the volume up or down, the little "audio up and down squeak tone" comes from the TV.

I have had this happen in the past and I would just restart the ATV3 and that would usually fix it (actually I would just put it to sleep rather than doing the full restart). Sometimes I would have to sleep/wake it a couple times, but it would eventually work. Last night I tried and tried and tried, sleep/wake like 10 times, manually restarted the ATV like 5 times, restarted the MBA, disconnected and reconnected wifi, everything, and I just couldn't get the audio to mirror to the TV. Finally I just gave up and decided to watch the video on the MBA.

Is there any sort of fix for this other than restarting? FWIW I have a 2012 MBA, ATV3, and a regular old Netgear router.

By chance are you using airplay through VLC ?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Are you going to System Preferences --> Sound (on the MBA) and setting the ATV as the output source?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
By chance are you using airplay through VLC ?

Well, funny thing is, I tried opening the file (AVI) with QuickTime and every time I did it would crash. It opened just fine using VLC so that was the program I was using to play the file.

----------

Are you going to System Preferences --> Sound (on the MBA) and setting the ATV as the output source?

Yes, made sure to have that setting done correctly.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Well, funny thing is, I tried opening the file (AVI) with QuickTime and every time I did it would crash. It opened just fine using VLC so that was the program I was using to play the file.

----------

Yes, made sure to have that setting done correctly.

Since you are using VLC, have you tried going to the sound menu in VLC and change the audio device to airplay?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Since you are using VLC, have you tried going to the sound menu in VLC and change the audio device to airplay?

I messed around a little bit in VLC settings but didn't realize this was an option. I will have to give it a try and see if that corrects it. Thanks!

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I messed around a little bit in VLC settings but didn't realize this was an option. I will have to give it a try and see if that corrects it. Thanks!

I've run into this a number of times as well. Somehow VLC causes some disconnect with the Audio settings in System Prefs. A number of times I have to close VLC and make the updates in Sys Prefs and then I'm usually good to go. But, sometimes it just gets wonky and you have to kill everything and manually change things.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
That's what I was going to tell you.. @ the top click the audio tab then you will see it

Yep, I thought you were hinting about that when you asked about VLC. Rather annoying sometimes when I want to listen to something on my headphones, and no sound plays, making me slightly confused for a seccond or two :p

I've run into this a number of times as well. Somehow VLC causes some disconnect with the Audio settings in System Prefs. A number of times I have to close VLC and make the updates in Sys Prefs and then I'm usually good to go. But, sometimes it just gets wonky and you have to kill everything and manually change things.

That is what I usually do, quit VLC and open the video again. For some reason I find it less bothersome than going to the settings and change it there :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.