Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coastalfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I have just purchased a new Macbook Pro laptop. I currently own an older MacBook which has my itunes and numerous songs purchased from Itunes and copied from various CD's on my old Macbook and synced to my 32g Ipod touch. Now, I want to sell my old mac to my neighbor, and take Itunes and transfer the music to my new computer and deauthorize the old computer. Can't figure out how to get my music to the new computer. If I enable home sharing, will the music go away when I deauthorize the old computer and give it to her?

Can I just sync my Ipod touch with the new computer? Will that work? Although I have a lot of music, I am still not that familiar with Mac and Itunes

Thanks

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
There's a couple options you can take.

1) Use Apple's migration assistant to transfer your music over firewire or ethernet.

2) If your old macbook as firewire, set it to Target Disk Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661) and transfer everything to your new computer that way.

3) Use home sharing to download everything to your new computer.

Honestly, I'd recommend option 1 or 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.