Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Should I remove the SIM card before I ship?

Edit: it's a sprint iPhone 5

Does it matter if I sell it to someone overseas?

Last edited by a moderator:

sdyoyo

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
I would, just indicate wherever you sell it that there's no sim included.

likwidsolutions

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Ohio
Don't sell it overseas; you'll get scammed & never see the money or your phone again.

I always list in my auctions that I do not ship or accept payment from anyone overseas. A lot of people will try to scam you by paying internationally and canceling the payment. But instead of having you ship it internationally they have you ship it in the US so it seems safer. Just clearly state you ONLY ACCEPT PAYMENT AND SHIP TO U.S. BUYERS!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I always list in my auctions that I do not ship or accept payment from anyone overseas. A lot of people will try to scam you by paying internationally and canceling the payment. But instead of having you ship it internationally they have you ship it in the US so it seems safer. Just clearly state you ONLY ACCEPT PAYMENT AND SHIP TO U.S. BUYERS!
Sounds like they probably figured it all out close to 2 years ago now.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can be scammed with Paypal wherever you ship. All the buyer needs to do is file a 'not as described' case, and Paypal will get him or her to ship the phone back to you by a registered method. They then ship you an empty box and Paypal refund them. OR, they get their card company to do a chargeback due to the goods 'not being as described', OR they use a fraudulent card and the card company does a chargeback, OR they ship you their broken iPhone (or other phone) and keep yours (plus get their money back). Either way, there is a LOT of scope to lose both the phone *and* your money if you accept payment by Paypal.

likwidsolutions

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Ohio
You can be scammed with Paypal wherever you ship. All the buyer needs to do is file a 'not as described' case, and Paypal will get him or her to ship the phone back to you by a registered method. They then ship you an empty box and Paypal refund them. OR, they get their card company to do a chargeback due to the goods 'not being as described', OR they use a fraudulent card and the card company does a chargeback, OR they ship you their broken iPhone (or other phone) and keep yours (plus get their money back). Either way, there is a LOT of scope to lose both the phone *and* your money if you accept payment by Paypal.

Yeah it's more important about WHERE you are getting paid from. Never take bids/buys from ppl with less than 3 feedback (they usually turn out to be deadbeats who make accounts, bid on a bunch of stuff and take the cheapest one). You would not believe how many times I sell a high priced item on eBay and then get tons of bids from 0 feedback users (which I cancel as I explicitly state in my auctions that if you have 0 feedback don't bother, if you have 1-5 they have to message me first so I can gauge their interest. I also ALWAYS make sure to post "Please pay immediately if you use Buy It Now, otherwise please pay within 24 hours of auction's end". It's a hell and a half to get someone who spends 400-600 dollars and then takes 3-4 days to pay, or not at all. Not only do you have to get your fees refunded, but you have to wait longer for the item to sell and recreate a new auction (I've had to do it more than once when these people bid at the last minute and I don't have a chance to cancel their bid). Just try to deal with people with 10+ feedback, and over a 90% rating.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Should I remove the SIM card before I ship?

Edit: it's a sprint iPhone 5

Does it matter if I sell it to someone overseas?

Setting/General/Reset/Reset All Setting / Then remove the sim card as it has no use to the new buyer.

That's what I always do (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5).

I've sold about half my previous on eBay and the rest locally on craigslist.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Setting/General/Reset/Reset All Setting / Then remove the sim card as it has no use to the new buyer.

That's what I always do (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5).

I've sold about half my previous on eBay and the rest locally on craigslist.
Once again, this is something that was already long figured out about 2 years ago it would seem.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Once again, this is something that was already long figured out about 2 years ago it would seem.

Actually, it appears that with the new pricing plans of ATT, it won't pay to sell an old IPHONE.

likwidsolutions

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Ohio
Actually, it appears that with the new pricing plans of ATT, it won't pay to sell an old IPHONE.

Why do you say that? As long as you do it each iPhone release, you will have to pay the difference between the old, used phone and the newly released phone, but then every other year you get money in return (usually more than you spent the year before on the difference between old/new iPhones). I don't see how it would be any different between the 5S/C and 6 5.5" and the 4.8" (I'm not sure on the smaller version's size, so correct me on that if I am wrong). No matter the size though, the smaller version will be the "5C" of the next batch of iPhones, whereas the larger version will probably be closer to the price that the 5S was originally released at, hopefully with more space for the same cost, but either way you will not be paying a ton each year.

You say it is because of ATTs pricing plan, but ATT can't sell it for more than other providers, or Apple for that matter. If you buy the phone outright after selling the old one, just go to Apple. You don't have to buy it through ATT, just as long as you make sure it's compatible with ATT. I don't see why ATT would have a problem with you buying a new iPhone while you are still under contract. Then the next year you do the same thing except your contract will cost much less than what you sell the iPhone for.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Why do you say that? As long as you do it each iPhone release, you will have to pay the difference between the old, used phone and the newly released phone, but then every other year you get money in return (usually more than you spent the year before on the difference between old/new iPhones).

Up to now, the new iPhone comes out for $199/$299/$399 (pick your flavor). I've been buying the 32GB $299 models. I sell my old phone for $400-$500, paying $299 for the new one and starting a new contract.

From what I read, ATT will NOT been selling anymore discounted phone. So instead of paying $199/$299/$399, it will be around $650/$750/$850 or whatever the new ones cost WITHOUT discount. Monthly phone bill stays around the same. Assuming I can sell my 5S for $400-$500, @ $750 for new one, it now costs me from $250-$350 for the new phone.

IF instead, I want to move over to ATT's Next or Family Plan, yes I do get the discounted prices, but in the future I will have to return the previous phone to ATT instead of selling it. Not as good as the old days anyway you cut it.

Please correct me if my figures are wrong.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Up to now, the new iPhone comes out for $199/$299/$399 (pick your flavor). I've been buying the 32GB $299 models. I sell my old phone for $400-$500, paying $299 for the new one and starting a new contract.

From what I read, ATT will NOT been selling anymore discounted phone. So instead of paying $199/$299/$399, it will be around $650/$750/$850 or whatever the new ones cost WITHOUT discount. Monthly phone bill stays around the same. Assuming I can sell my 5S for $400-$500, @ $750 for new one, it now costs me from $250-$350 for the new phone.

IF instead, I want to move over to ATT's Next or Family Plan, yes I do get the discounted prices, but in the future I will have to return the previous phone to ATT instead of selling it. Not as good as the old days anyway you cut it.

Please correct me if my figures are wrong.
Subsidized contract phones are still being offered, aren't they?

You can also pay off the phone on Next and own it and then sell it if you want (instead of trading it back in to AT&T).

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Subsidized contract phones are still being offered, aren't they?

You can also pay off the phone on Next and own it and then sell it if you want (instead of trading it back in to AT&T).

From my understanding, the plan is NO SUBSIDIZED contract except Next and Family plan which requires the return of the previous phone.

Yes, you can buy the phone for the full price, but why would you want to do that @ around $650/$750/$850?

I hope ATT does offer the present deal as a grandfathered operation, but we'll have to wait and see about that. If so, count me in on the deal.

----------

I will. And I will not sell it to overseas, because it is not safe.

I wouldn't sell overseas either unless I was paid first and I'm not talking PayPal. Mail me a certified check, I'll wait 2 or more weeks until it's cleared and then I'll ship. Not interested in getting into a food fight with PayPal, etc.

Fat chance of some overseas jockey buying into the deal above.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Go into your ebay settings to not allow overseas buyers to bid on your auctions.

Even if you cancel the transaction, once a person wins, they can leave feedback.

I had a scammer win an auction and after I cancelled it, they left me negative feedback.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
From my understanding, the plan is NO SUBSIDIZED contract except Next and Family plan which requires the return of the previous phone.

Yes, you can buy the phone for the full price, but why would you want to do that @ around $650/$750/$850?

I hope ATT does offer the present deal as a grandfathered operation, but we'll have to wait and see about that. If so, count me in on the deal.

----------

I wouldn't sell overseas either unless I was paid first and I'm not talking PayPal. Mail me a certified check, I'll wait 2 or more weeks until it's cleared and then I'll ship. Not interested in getting into a food fight with PayPal, etc.

Fat chance of some overseas jockey buying into the deal above.
So subsidized contract pricing would exist for current Family plans then, right?

As for why would you buy it outright for full price, well, it would be unlocked for one, and can be cheaper than or at least not pricier than the cost of subsidized pricing as well. Or basically financed using Next.

likwidsolutions

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Ohio
So subsidized contract pricing would exist for current Family plans then, right?

As for why would you buy it outright for full price, well, it would be unlocked for one, and can be cheaper than or at least not pricier than the cost of subsidized pricing as well. Or basically financed using Next.

You kind of lost me. I am not sure about Family Plans, but if I am not mistaken, Family Plans have upgrade discounts when you get a new contract as well, right? I mean, obviously ATT/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon/etc., they all want you to buy as much stuff as possible, so I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your upgrades every other year. So you should still be able to sell your iPhone 5S/C and get a 6/6C (for lack of a better term), pay the difference and then next year when the iPhone 7 or 6S comes out, you should be able to use your upgrade and after you have sold your iPhone 6/6C you should be able to buy that phone (and you can use the leftover money that you made from selling your iPhone to upgrade your iPhone, so if you have a 32GB/64GB you might be willing to add another $100 to get 64GB/128GB, or something similar). Although you wouldn't make as much profit, you would have a more expensive phone and will make more off of it the next year when it's time to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.