Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Christmas spirit

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Be creative!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Old%20Christmas%20Truck-XL.jpg

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
Christmas is about fun... and the nativity story features a big star in the sky!

Having image export issues so I've submitted it as a small attachment.
Merry Christmas Everybody!

Attachments

• Christmas.jpg
    Christmas.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 186

Bonut

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Maryland
Any comments/criticism/tips would be greatly appreciated for shooting christmas lights at night, once the contest is over or a PM would work :) This is my first attempt of a car across the street.

lights-1.jpg

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Pineapple upside-down cupcakes for Christmas Eve (click for larger image):

Attachments

• mille_122411_66.jpg
    mille_122411_66.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 233

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Just a reminder that you have until midnight tonight to enter a photo in the contest! Great shots so far! ;)

EDIT: Contest now closed! Will be judging in the morning!

Last edited:

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Excellent photos everyone. Let's get straight to the judging!

butch10x: the shot made me smile! I appreciate your niner pride, as well as some nice DoF.

seattle: beautiful lights. It's neat how the one bulb in focus gets lost in the creamy bokeh goodness of the rest. Well done.

Cheese&Apple: interesting shot. We have some houses nearby with crazy amounts of decorations and lights. Makes me want to go document a few.

Keleko: I really like the angle and tone of this shot. Is it HDR?

deep diver: the lights are pretty here. It's a good abstract. Where/what is it exactly?

NeGRit0: I am a sucker for reflections in ornaments and eyeballs! Looks like you brought out the big guns to make this photograph! Well done

iJohn8.80: beautiful light. I never get tired of being in and photographing candlelight. This definitely has the feel I was hoping for.

BarryJ: this has a very magical feel to it. The lights look as if they are floating, like something out of a Harry Potter scene.

genshi: I have some great memories as a kid of setting up these little Christmas villages with my parents. This really took me back.

macAllen: there's something about this shot I like, and I don't know exactly what it is. I enjoyed the composition, the DoF, and the subject. You produced some really nice tone.

Droid13: Merry Christmas! Well done! Very creative.

Photoshopper: now I'm hungry... Your use of light and DoF make this a great shot. I really want to eat one of those cupcakes, and the lights behind them compliment the shot beautifully. Excellent use of light.

fireman32: as I mentioned above, reflections are a soft spot of mine. Neat shot!

pakyooh: won't lie, I laughed. The little dogs look like they'd rather be doing anything but posing for this shot, which makes it really funny. Great work!

Caliber26: Nice looking pup. Would make a good Christmas card!

DirtySocks85: I'm glad you're giving these contests a go! Keep shooting and posting. The angle is creative.

3rd place: ijohn.8.80
2nd place: pakyooh
1st place: Photoshopper

Well done everyone! You're up Photoshopper!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Yes, mine was HDR. Congrats to the winner! I think he bribed the judge with food, though. ;)

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Congrats Photoshopper

I took this one on Sunday evening, and would have considered entering it instead if I hadn't already submitted the first image. I think it's less creative, but probably a better image (mostly due to the lack of background distraction). Also, I love the facial expressions I happened to catch in the reflection!

WH9uP.jpg

svedwards

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
The Sweet Grand

I think I've attached my image. I can't figure out how to get it into the body of this file.

Attachments

• tree 3w.jpg
    tree 3w.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 170
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.