Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Hi Guys,

Would you please help me out what version of Backplane board do I need, I have a Mac Pro 2009 double processor board assembly with numbers on a board 820-2336-A and numbers on a sticker/ barcode label ( *J5942024L1LUE* 630-9402 CHINA) Can anybody help me find out which version (Ver. 1 661-4996 or Ver. 2 661-5444 )of Mac pro 2009 Backplane board is compatible with my Processor board.
Thank in advance.
IMG_0271_zps08e2b015.jpg

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Common guys...
Any information the owners of Mac pro 2009 would be helpful, if someone could match the numbers of boards...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Common guys...
Any information the owners of Mac pro 2009 would be helpful, if someone could match the numbers of boards...
3 hours really is an inappropriately short period of time to bump a thread. You're seeking free help. Be patient.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Processor boards

Any 2009 Processor board will work with any 2009 Backplane board.. Even a 2010 will work, but bear this in mind... In order to get westmere support you would need to change out not only the 2009 processor board, but also the 2009 backplane board which costs lots of money and is not worth it..

Instead, there is a better way and I am sure you already know what it is. Look for the 2009 Mac Pro --> 2010 Mac Pro firmware updater. With this firmware updater it will change your 09 Mac Pro to a 10 and will allow you to use your existing boards, and the best part: You can then upgrade them to westmere processors..

Its easy and many have done it. I have and I am enjoying 6-core goodness.

AFAIK, board versions don't make a difference. a 2009 Mac Pro board is the same, regardless.

Thanks, I will...

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Any 2009 Processor board will work with any 2009 Backplane board.. Even a 2010 will work, but bear this in mind... In order to get westmere support you would need to change out not only the 2009 processor board, but also the 2009 backplane board which costs lots of money and is not worth it..

Instead, there is a better way and I am sure you already know what it is. Look for the 2009 Mac Pro --> 2010 Mac Pro firmware updater. With this firmware updater it will change your 09 Mac Pro to a 10 and will allow you to use your existing boards, and the best part: You can then upgrade them to westmere processors..

Its easy and many have done it. I have and I am enjoying 6-core goodness.

AFAIK, board versions don't make a difference. a 2009 Mac Pro board is the same, regardless.
Thank you for response PowerPCMacMan,
The reason I've started this thread is because I've got a processor board from my friend after he moved out and now I decided to assemble whole Mac Pro from a scratch, I have everything but Backplane board…The last Backplane board 661-5444 I bought on Ebay did not work as suppose to. It powered on , and fans worked but no sound chime and no video.
And everything get back to normal after I switched back to my 2010 backplane board model (except the fans are spinning at full speed because of the differences between the models ). So, I decided to send it back due to defect of the board. Now I am thinking, was it a really defect or it was just a wrong Version ?
So, From what you said, can I just order ANY new version of backplane board 2009 and it should work? Right?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
…The last Backplane board 661-5444 I bought on Ebay did not work as suppose to. It powered on , and fans worked but no sound chime and no video.
Well, the easiest way to get an answer is asking a reseller who actually carries both versions of the board, such as DV Warehouse. You can either call or send them an email to have your question answered.

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Well, the easiest way to get an answer is asking a reseller who actually carries both versions of the board, such as DV Warehouse. You can either call or send them an email to have your question answered.

Hi xcodeSyn,
Thank you for reply...I spoke yesterday with Jason from DVwarehouse, before opening this thread, and he wasn't sure which backplane version exactly should I buy....

... That's a tough one. We need numbers off that backplane and/or the machine to get the right board. The processor board alone can not distinguish which you need.

Jason
DVWarehouse

so, in order to get the right backplane version I need either # of backplane matched with my Processor board serial number or machine serial number which I do not have...
It would be more easier if the owners of Mac pro 2009 matched theirs serials this mine.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
so, in order to get the right backplane version I need either # of backplane matched with my Processor board serial number or machine serial number which I do not have...
Not according to this link explaining what EEE code means:
The EEE code is the first 3 of the last 4 letters of the serial. So in case of a QUAD G5 logic board it is xxxxxxEEEx or xxxxxxxR80x. Now when you see a listing with a mention EEE code in case of the QUAD G5 logic board you will see a list of all the possible once R80, UM0, UR0, URA, VU7, VU8 you only need to match one of them. And if you currently have UM0 and get R80 that is no problem. Getting the correct EEE code part is the absolute way of ordering the correct part.
Your processor board EEE code is the first 3 of the last 4 letters, i.e. 1LU. The 661-4996 lists 1LT as part of its EEE code, and that's a match according to the cited link. Besides the version 2 661-5444 apparently did not work and has no matching EEE code listed under it. Can't believe Google is more useful than a real person.

Last edited:

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Not according to this link explaining what EEE code means:

Your processor board EEE code is the first 3 of the last 4 letters, i.e. 1LU. The 661-4996 lists 1LT as part of its EEE code, and that's a match according to the cited link. Besides the version 2 661-5441 apparently did not work and has no matching EEE code listed under it. Can't believe Google is more useful than a real person.

Thanks...I really appreciate for your help...
Now I have at least a clue, and I just noticed , in version 1 board EEE code (first 3 of the last 4 letters) begins from digits and version 2 from letters...I hope I wont miss this time...

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Hello everybody,

I would like to update this thread...I've got and installed a new Apple backplane board Version 1 today and every time I start mac pro it reaches the desktop with kernel panic (Card in Slot2 )...and I do not see an Apple Boot logo on start just a black screen (Video card in Slot 1)....
I run Apple service diagnostic and it failed... ERROR-60 VIDEO CONTROLLER....
Can anybody knows what is it? Could it be just a Video card (Apple Radeon 5770) issue or it causes because of Backplane board failure?
Thanks in advance

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Which 5770 is it?

Where did it come from?

Do you know that it worked in a Mac Pro before?

Some info will help

Thank you MacVidCards for reply...
I bought it on Ebay...it is Apple radeon 5770 video card...I tested it before on my Mac Pro 2009 with backplane board from 2010 , and everything was ok, except the fans are spinning at full speed...
Is there a video controller on a board by itself or it is on a Video card?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Thank you MacVidCards for reply...
I bought it on Ebay...it is Apple radeon 5770 video card...I tested it before on my Mac Pro 2009 with backplane board from 2010 , and everything was ok, except the fans are spinning at full speed...
Is there a video controller on a board by itself or it is on a Video card?

Does it have 2 small MDP ports and a single DVI port.

Do you have power connected?

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Does it have 2 small MDP ports and a single DVI port.

Do you have power connected?

Yes, One DVI, and 2 MDP, it is power connected ...
The thing is that it works in system...

PS. I just reset NVRAM/PRAM and partially problem solved, now mac pro reaches the desktop without kernel panic but still fails Video controller test

Last edited:

mwhybark

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
fork!

Hi, this seems to be the only place on the web about this specific issue. I am trying to figure it out with reference to a single-proc early 2009.

Let me summarize the knowledge above.

Apple uses system of EEE codes to identify parts compatibility. the EEE code is embedded in the part SN. the mac pro 4,1 early 2009 came with version 1 and version 2 backplane boards, which have differing sets of EEE codes.

the theory is you match the processor tray EEE code to the backplane EEE code to know if a unit is interoperable. however, by match, they do not mean the codes are the same, they mean they crossreference successfully. vendors publish the EEE codes of the various parts but no one seems to have published a crossreference guide.

mobo v 1 p/n, EEE codes: 661-4996 - 1LT, 7A1
mobo v 2 p/n, EEE codes: 661-5444 - CV7, DD4G

single proc model proc tray 3.66mhz P/N, EEE code: 661-4999 - 4MF, BY0, DCVJ

Earlier in this thread, a dual-proc tray with SN J5942024L1LUE was referenced as having EEE code 1LU. That poster noted,
"Your processor board EEE code is the first 3 of the last 4 letters, i.e. 1LU. The 661-4996 lists 1LT as part of its EEE code, and that's a match according to the cited link."

I added the link in the quote for clarity.

I have examined the cited link, and can find no source to correlate the EEE codes 1LT to 1LU.

The cited link includes this:

"Now when you see a listing with a mention EEE code in case of the QUAD G5 logic board you will see a list of all the possible once R80, UM0, UR0, URA, VU7, VU8 you only need to match one of them. And if you currently have UM0 and get R80 that is no problem."

Is the in-thread poster who notes 1LT and 1LU as a match interpreting the phrase "you only need to match one of them" to indicate a single-letter position match in the EEE code is a match?

Finally, after gathering the EEE codes for v1 and v2 and for the single-proc boards, I don't think the match is actually a 1-to-1 match, I think it must be a lookup. Is this correct? Apparently there is no comprehensive lookup resource online. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your clarifications.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Is the in-thread poster who notes 1LT and 1LU as a match interpreting the phrase "you only need to match one of them" to indicate a single-letter position match in the EEE code is a match?

Finally, after gathering the EEE codes for v1 and v2 and for the single-proc boards, I don't think the match is actually a 1-to-1 match, I think it must be a lookup. Is this correct? Apparently there is no comprehensive lookup resource online. Is that correct?
This reply is 6-month too late and the MP in question must have been either fixed or scrapped. Normally I'm not in the habit of raising a dead thread like this, but I like to address his question just in case other people may stumble into this place in the future.

To answer the quoted question: The original poster of this thread got hold of a 2009 processor board, but his MP was a 2010 model. Clearly he needed a 2009 backplane board and that's how this whole discussion started. For most people who are going to order a 2009 backplane board, they'd very likely have a used or broken part on hand with an EEE code on it, and that's how to find a match. Since the OP did not have one on hand, that's why he had no choice but to infer the matching code only from what's on the processor board. No one ever stated that 1LT and 1LU was a perfect match because they were clearly not for the same part, but more like a close enough match, as 1LU on the processor board is rather close to 1LT on a backplane board. Besides he already tried a version 2 that didn't work.

Now back to sleep.

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
This reply is 6-month too late and the MP in question must have been either fixed or scrapped. Normally I'm not in the habit of raising a dead thread like this, but I like to address his question just in case other people may stumble into this place in the future.

To answer the quoted question: The original poster of this thread got hold of a 2009 processor board, but his MP was a 2010 model. Clearly he needed a 2009 backplane board and that's how this whole discussion started. For most people who are going to order a 2009 backplane board, they'd very likely have a used or broken part on hand with an EEE code on it, and that's how to find a match. Since the OP did not have one on hand, that's why he had no choice but to infer the matching code only from what's on the processor board. No one ever stated that 1LT and 1LU was a perfect match because they were clearly not for the same part, but more like a close enough match, as 1LU on the processor board is rather close to 1LT on a backplane board. Besides he already tried a version 2 that didn't work.

Now back to sleep.

Hi everybody,
I keep an eye on this thread from time to time...What I would like to say is that it got fixed by itself, after I bought the backplane board that is matched to my processor board.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
What I would like to say is that it got fixed by itself, after I bought the backplane board that is matched to my processor board.
Back then I wondered if a 2009 backplane and 2009 processor board could fit in a 2010 model without issues. Your post indicates that the 2009 and 2010/12 have a lot in common. Thanks for clarification.

Last edited:

Svoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Back then I wondered if a 2009 backplane board could fit in a 2010 model without issues. Your post indicates that the 2009 and 2010/12 have a lot in common. Thanks for clarification.

Hi,
Unfortunately, NOT.... I know for sure, that even though they have a lot in common, eventually you will get a "constant Full speed spinning fans" Issue.
The thing is, and I would emphasize of it, even if Mac pro 4.1 was flashed to Mac Pro 5.1 they have different SMC Version 1.39f5 (Mac Pro 2009) and 1.39f11 (mac Pro 2010), which leads to the problems...

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
even if Mac pro 4.1 was flashed to Mac Pro 5.1 they have different SMC Version 1.39f5 (Mac Pro 2009) and 1.39f11 (mac Pro 2010), which leads to the problems...
That was a given fact people pointed out as soon the firmware upgrade utility became available in 2011. I was referring to replacing the 2010 MP model with both 2009 backplane and processor board as you did. Given that a MP4,1/5,1 is about 90% of these two boards plus other peripherals, it may not be a surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.