Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iTunes or Plex for videos?

• iTunes

Votes: 118 47.4%
  • Plex

Votes: 131 52.6%

• Total voters

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I am curious, what do you use for your media needs, iTunes or Plex.

Ever since iTunes 11 came out I began thinking of using it (with iVI) for playing my videos instead of using Plex. However, iTunes has a clunky NAS support and is not as convenient as Plex.

I am curious, what do you use for your media an why?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Ever since iTunes 11 came out I began thinking of using it (with iVI) for playing my videos instead of using Plex. However, iTunes has a clunky NAS support and is not as convenient as Plex.

For music, iTunes. For movies, TV shows, music videos, etc., Plex, hands down. Plex can handle far more file types, automatically downloads artwork, metadata, subtitles, etc., can be controlled remotely with the Plex mobile app, easily plays content from any networked drive and deliver it to any computer, iOS device, etc. on the network. It can also play content across the internet.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I am a HUGE fan of Plex. That being said, I recently converted all of my videos over to M4V and now use iTunes exclusively. It is simply a more fluid user experience to use the AppleTV interface than to use the Plex app on an iOS device and then AirPlay to the AppleTV. The family appreciates it.

I also find that using iTunes is more stable and I don't get any buffering or drop outs at all. Using Plex and AirPlay would occasionally hiccup (say 1x out of every 10 videos I watched).

If Plex were to have a native AppleTV app I would certainly go back to using it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Plex does more and is more versitle, but all my movies are m4v and I add all my meta data with iDentify so I do not really need a feature or ability that iTunes does not do for me so thats what I use

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
iTunes all the way but only because of the hard work by people like dynaflash and micJ who help us noobs to convert our blu rays to an iTunes friendly format. The iTunes movie prices are too steep to warrant a purchase from their store. So iTunes but only due to handbrake :)

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I do not believe in having optical media anymore so I use ATV3 and ITunes on my MAC Mini. So if I want to watch any programs on Netflix, Hulu etc. I use Apple TV 3 and I use home sharing on Mac Mini and IPhone 5 and ATV3 to see all movies and listen to music.

MAC Mini is on GigEthernet @ 300Mbps and all other devices are WIFI via Apple Extream.

Do I need a media server in this setup?

All connected via HDMI to my 65 inch plasma VT50

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I am sorry, new to forums. My question is should I use both or neither? Also how would I?

Thanks!

----------

I connect my Apple TV and Mac mini directly to HDTV via HDMI.

is this redundant in my setup with no optical media?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I am sorry, new to forums. My question is should I use both or neither? Also how would I?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums !!!

As far as what you should use for your media needs, it's up to you which like best :).

In my previous post, I was just asking the original poster to add the poll choices both and neither for those people that use both iTunes and Plex for their media and for those people who don't use iTunes or Plex for their media.

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks!

How would plex be useful? If I did purchase movies on disk? I stream everything but if plex is offering something?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks!

How would plex be useful? If I did purchase movies on disk? I stream everything but if plex is offering something?

Plex plays pretty much every file extension (avi, m4v, mp4, mpg, mpeg, divx, mkv,etc)

iTunes is a much smaller list

Plex adds the meta data automatically, ie the DVD cover, movie description, list of actors directors

Itunes can display this but you have to add it to the file first manually

there is more difference but here is an example of two

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,

If I do not have any optical media to rip to Plex, is it good for anything else?

Thanks again for helping this newbie!

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Plex is far more advanced than iTunes.

Having said that, I do use iTunes, simply because I use Apple TV 3s.

And having said that, if anyone came out with a small, polished sub-$200 Plex box, I'd dump my Apple TV (and iTunes by extension) in a second and move to Plex.

Plex has far more and far more useful channels. Even Netflix is better on Plex (and face it, Apple TV is basically a glorified Netflix box, unless you are stupid enough (and I suppose, a technical imbecile) to be spending your unemployment checks on overpriced media from iTunes).

So, while I am currently stuck with iTunes, because of Apple TV, Plex is far better, IMO.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
I use both. I use MakeMKV and Handbrake (Apple TV3 preset) to get Blu to m4v, then store the m4v in iTunes on the Mac Pro server downstairs. But I still have a Plex server on that same Mac Pro.

The Apple TV3 streams movies from iTunes using home sharing. But when we want to watch something on the iMac, we use Plex. Why not use home sharing on the iMac to stream from the Mac Pro? Because Plex has a much better interface. No other reason.

As others have said, if there was a Plex client for an Apple TV3 that looks like the one for a jalbroken Apple TV2, I'd be all over it.

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I do not own any DVD or bluray as I stream everything, would plex be better at streaming than Apple TV 3.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
both,

itunes home sharing for home,

plex for family access when away,

plex is simple enough that my folks in their 60s can have access to my full library on an ipad and airplay it to tv at great quality, keeping me from having to maintain a seperate htpc for them.

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Plex is a media manager, it has to be music/movies/photos on your computer or hard drive, its not for streaming

Plex on the company website states that it streams all media to IPHONE IPAD. However DRM with older ITunes may not be streamed. So I guess if I had optical media on my hard disk then I can use plex but since I do not
It is not for me. I may try it to become familiar with the interface. Seems that iTunes does the same only the media may be more expensive

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

I use iTunes for movies I want to see more than once. I use Beamer for movies I just want to see once. I do not use Plex, because it is 32-bit, I have XBMC (64-bit) installed, but as the ATV3 isn't jailbroken yet I haven't been able used it.

----------

Plex is a media manager, it has to be music/movies/photos on your computer or hard drive, its not for streaming

I think that both Plex and XBMC can stream as well:

Plex wibsite
"Extend the functionality of connected TVs, add low cost streaming with a Roku or Google TV and get the most out of DLNA compatible devices like the PS3 and Xbox 360".

Next to this they also stream content form an Apple device to a ATV.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I use iTunes for movies I want to see more than once. I use Beamer for movies I just want to see once. I do not use Plex, because it is 32-bit, I have XBMC (64-bit) installed, but as the ATV3 isn't jailbroken yet I haven't been able used it.

----------

I think that both Plex and XBMC can stream as well:

Plex wibsite
"Extend the functionality of connected TVs, add low cost streaming with a Roku or Google TV and get the most out of DLNA compatible devices like the PS3 and Xbox 360".

Next to this they also stream content form an Apple device to a ATV.

yes in that sense of the word stream it will let other devices stream whats in your plex library, but the plex library needs the digital copies stored on a hard drive on your network

----------

Plex on the company website states that it streams all media to IPHONE IPAD. However DRM with older ITunes may not be streamed. So I guess if I had optical media on my hard disk then I can use plex but since I do not
It is not for me. I may try it to become familiar with the interface. Seems that iTunes does the same only the media may be more expensive

maybe I was not sure what you meant buy not owning and dvd's you stream everything, if you mean you use torrent sites to get all your movies than yes plex will work with those downloads

nrc2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I have no idea what Torrent is. What I mean to say is that I have all my stuff in a cloud with no cd DVD or bluray. No drives either. So if I buy a movie I download to my hard drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.