Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I have set up iMessage on my iPhone and it works perfectly. Someone sends me an iMessage to my iPhone via my email or number, I will receive it.

But I don't seem to see an option in settings for iMessage to allow me to recieve at my number (if that makes sense).

I want to add my number to my iPad's iMessage settings so that if someone sends me an iMessage to my number, it is sent to all my devices with the same Apple ID. Any way I could do this?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Assuming that you're signed into iMessage on both devices with the same Apple ID, I'd try signing out of iMessage on the iPad, waiting a sec, and then signing back in.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Turn off iMessage and FaceTime on all of your iOS devices and wait a few minutes. Then turn them back on. The syncing of a phone number is done automatically since we only have the option to add another email address and not a phone number.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Turn off iMessage and FaceTime on all of your iOS devices and wait a few minutes. Then turn them back on. The syncing of a phone number is done automatically since we only have the option to add another email address and not a phone number.

Oh sweet, I just tried this and my phone number appeared on my iPad! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 3,046

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Yes. Activate the option to use the email address on the iphone. That will open up the ability to use the phone number on the ipad. It doesnt make any damn sense, but thats how they have it set up.

e

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I have a slightly different question that perhaps you guys can answer. I have two Verizon sim cards and two different phone numbers. Both SIM cards were at one point in iPhones and were active on iMessage. I moved one of the SIM cards to my iPad, and wanted to use the phone number for that SIM card for iMessage with my wife, while everyone else got my iPhone number. This worked for a while, but now the phone number associated with the SIM card in the iPad has disappeared, and I can only send and receive from the iPhone number. Does anyone know any way to fix this?

If I put the SIM card back into my spare 5c, it will recognize it as a usable number for iMessage, and it appears to stick when I put it back in my iPad, but after a few minutes the number disappears again. This is quite vexing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.