Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Firstly, I would have posted this in a 'Non-Mac Laptops' forum on this site but there isn't one (although there is a non-iOS devices forum on here).

Right, I might be a bit unpopular for this, but can anyone recommend a line of Windows-based laptops that could be put as an equivalent to the rMBP? I'm looking to compare the two and value is certainly coming in to play.

I currently run FCPX on a 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and it (for the most part) runs like a dream, however we have a need for a second machine and buying another isn't cheap.

I'd like to consider a Windows-based laptop in a similar vein to a rMBP (performance wise) which is able to run say Adobe Premiere without breaking a sweat.

No specific models required, just names/brands of laptop lines which I can look in to? Google is my friend I am aware but I've only found one or two.

Thanks.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Firstly, I would have posted this in a 'Non-Mac Laptops' forum on this site but there isn't one (although there is a non-iOS devices forum on here).

Right, I might be a bit unpopular for this, but can anyone recommend a line of Windows-based laptops that could be put as an equivalent to the rMBP? I'm looking to compare the two and value is certainly coming in to play.

I currently run FCPX on a 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and it (for the most part) runs like a dream, however we have a need for a second machine and buying another isn't cheap.

I'd like to consider a Windows-based laptop in a similar vein to a rMBP (performance wise) which is able to run say Adobe Premiere without breaking a sweat.

No specific models required, just names/brands of laptop lines which I can look in to? Google is my friend I am aware but I've only found one or two.

Thanks.

Is it the screen that you want or just the raw performance? Are you actually moving it around because if not why not get a desktop?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am not aware of any Windows laptop that would offer comparable performance to the rMBP while also having its form factor/battery life/screen quality. And price-wise, there is not much that much difference. For example, a Sony Vaio S 15" with 1080p IPS display, 256GB SSD and a CPU slightly slower compared to the base rMBP costs $1639.99, while having significantly slower GPU, smaller battery and being thicker. In the end, you get what you pay for...

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Really nothing. For the screen, the Pixel and Kirabook lines are similar, but lacking in most everything else.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Thanks.

Nearly any new machine should easily be able to run Premiere. You can get dozens of Windows machines that have high specs, but not many at all have a screen as nice as the Retina display.

If you just want a solid powerful workhorse, then look no further than Lenovo ThinkPad's, the T & W series specifically. But they won't have a screen has high quality as the Retina display.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Don't just ok me, say something constructive :p Although you are right of course, these are the laptops that most closely resemble the rMBP. They are just not quite there...

P.S. Look at this

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5284480#!tab=features

HP EliteBook

dual core i5-3360
8GB DDR3 RAM
256Gb SSD
1080p (ok, it seems to be a 10-bit panel, which is nice)
K1000M with DDR3 VRAM - its a professional card, but it has half the raw power of the 650M, slower memory and will be inferior even in the professional applications
3 hours battery life (at idle!!!!)
weight: 3kg

and they want - wait for it - $3,019

I mean - COME ON

Last edited:

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Configured similarly to the rMBP, the price difference becomes negligible, and both those laptops are heavier, have worse battery life and slower GPUs...

The K3000 is pretty close to the GT650M.

You also gain the advantage of a fully modular system, support for 3 hard drives, upgradable graphics and CPU, and a 100% Adobe gamut RGBLED with matte antiglare finish (not that color accuracy is an issue with the rMBP).

And battery life is comparable, if only because the battery in the Precision is huge. You can also add a second battery.

They're notebooks for a different crowd, but as someone who has owned several Precisions and several MBPs I would put them on even footing for quality, performance and reliability if not for aesthetics or mobility.

There is no real Windows equivalent to the rMBP, though. Ultrabooks have caught up to the point of being competitive with the Air, but they have a long way to go.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Don't just ok me, say something constructive :p Although you are right of course, these are the laptops that most closely resemble the rMBP. They are just not quite there...

And both can far exceed in specs and price..

What??

Different strokes for different folks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.