Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
It seems like everyone and their dog is playing it, it's outselling everything on XBox, and now it got announced for Sony's platforms, which apparently is a huge deal. :confused:

I haven't played it myself, but I have seen some gameplay videos, screenshots and stuff...still confused.

Can someone explain the appeal to me? What's the hook of this game? I don't really understand it from the information I have seen so far... Should I be excited this is coming to Playstation?

I'm not putting the game down here, I am just genuinely curious as to what it's all about. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
These do a really great job of explaining. Whether there is any appeal to you after is up to you. Some people just do not get into things that are mainstream. I know I don't.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110616161345AAUAxpQ
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/76025-how-to-explain-minecraft-to-somebody/
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/985856-Explain-Minecraft

Now, I don't play it mostly due to time. Where I would play it would be in the same room I spend 10 hours a day in for work. I simply cannot stand to live my life in one room of my house. If I can play it on the XBOX and wanted to spend that kind of time then I would. Again, just haven't taken it up.

Most people I see who play it were or are into the Sims games. Sim City and the like. I loved Sim City so I bet I would actually love Minecraft. Maybe it is not fair to compare the two, but that is how I saw it.

When I was curious about what it was I asked a family member. In short, he said it was like legos on crack. I guess the appeal of legos to me being high is reason enough to play, but again, I don't think I want to devote the time. You may like it if you try it or may not. It's just another popular game like WoW was/is.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's basically just a big sandbox that is (for the PC/Mac version at least) infinitely generating. My current game is just to build a huge railway line going north. There's also a Survival mode which combines the sandbox with enemies that come out at night. I never saw the appeal of that one myself.

It's alright but I'm not going to rebuy it for any consoles.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Minecraft is like lego's on crack, but there's a little more to it. There are two basic ways to play, Creative Mode and Survival mode. In Survival mode, you have a health bar of hearts (lots of retro vibe here) and you start with nothing. There are day and night cycles which are fast and creatures come out at night and are aggressive. You can kill them, but you need to make a weapon. So, basically the first few nights are spent building a temp shelter and getting some basic tools made (axe, pick, etc).

There' a lot more to it and basically you harvest from the countryside and combine materials to make pretty much anything from glass to bricks, wood planks to stone slabs, weapons, armor, potions and more. It does have some RPG elements.

Creative mode is just basically legos, you can't die, you get unlimited of every item and you can just build and create without dealing with harvesting and aggressive mobs.

You are basically thrown into a huge sandbox world and you can do whatever you want. You can also play with others or open up a game for LAN play.

If you like retro looking games, building games, MMO's and RPG's, you'll like it.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
It sounds interesting. Loved Legos as a kid!!! :D

I might check it out when it hits the Playstations this winter.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Depends on how you play it... either it's digital Legos combined with a survival RPG or just digital Legos.

I've never enjoyed it much (real Legos are much more fun :p) but everyone else seems to love it and it's amazing what some people make in the game.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I haven't played it myself, but I have seen some gameplay videos, screenshots and stuff...still confused.

You have to play it to understand. Talking about it makes it sound tedious and pointless but playing it is like crack. I've been on the Mac version for a few years now (got in when it was like $10 for a pre-alpha build and free upgrades for life).

I personally like the hardcore survival mode where there is no respawning. When you die the character and the world you created is deleted.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
As far as the building/creating stuff goes, it just seems so limited to me.

A few years ago, I spent a lot of time building levels on the cube engine editor for "Cube 2: Sauerbraten". It's a free open source FPS, and the level editor seems to work similar to Minecraft...but a lot more advanced/detailed. I guess after that it's hard for me to see the appeal in what seems like a very dumbed-down version of the same basic concept.

http://cubeengine.com/

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

A few years ago, I spent a lot of time building levels on the cube engine editor for "Cube 2: Sauerbraten". It's a free open source FPS, and the level editor seems to work similar to Minecraft...but a lot more advanced/detailed. I guess after that it's hard for me to see the appeal in what seems like a very dumbed-down version of the same basic concept.

Think beyond just basic structures though. For example, a buddy of mine built a nifty train station. Walk in, hit the button for one of six destinations the train went (actually a mine cart on tracks) and a mine cart comes to the platform via a chute system. Hop in the cart and it takes you down the proper track to the destination you selected.

Other people build much more complicated things like working clocks and basic computers. Search YouTube and you'll see some crazy videos.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Do we know if the next-gen console versions will remove the limitations of the Xbox 360 version? I *might* pick up the Vita version if you get a PS4 version thrown in and if the map is larger.

What is this "Legos" you're on about, sounds like a cheap knock-off of Lego ;)

I thought about that while typing it out but what kind of weirdo wants to use terms like "LEGO brand bricks" :p. Lego + s forever

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So I finally got to try it on my nephew's 360. I'm actually somewhat intrigued now and will probably pick it up on PS4...whenever it's available.

I would still prefer to use the Cube engine to build things...but I'd have to sit at my desk for that, so Minecraft on PS4 wins! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So I finally got to try it on my nephew's 360. I'm actually somewhat intrigued now and will probably pick it up on PS4...whenever it's available.

I would still prefer to use the Cube engine to build things...but I'd have to sit at my desk for that, so Minecraft on PS4 wins! :D

If you can I'd say get it on PC/Mac. The console version feels very much like a demo of that - the worlds are smaller, you can't use mods on it, you have to pay for character skin packs. Some of the 3rd party renderers are ace too -

Attachments

• ray.jpg
    ray.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 236
  • output small.jpg
    output small.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 214

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
If you can I'd say get it on PC/Mac. The console version feels very much like a demo of that - the worlds are smaller, you can't use mods on it, you have to pay for character skin packs. Some of the 3rd party renderers are ace too -

I'm hoping the PS4 version will remedy some of those limitations, at least world size.

I just don't like playing games on a PC/Mac anymore. I spend too much time on a computer for work, so my gaming needs to be done on the couch with my feet up, with a good ole controller in my hands! :)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Virtual Legos that won't make you scream out in pain when you step on one.

I've caught myself shoulder surfing over people that play it, but I never even gave it a go, figuring I'd lose track of time very quickly. Already getting yelled at all the time for building the kid's Lego sets before he can by my girlfriend.

sallylm

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, people built structures to protect against nocturnal monsters, but as the game grew players worked together to create wonderful, imaginative things.

It can also be about adventuring with friends or watching the sun rise over a blocky ocean. It’s pretty. Brave players battle terrible things in The Nether, which is more scary than pretty. You can also visit a land of mushrooms if it sounds more like your cup of tea.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous

:eek:

What the heck is ^^^ that thing?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest

I think part of the appeal isn't that you can build anything, but the fact that despite the limited perceived building potential of Minecraft, you can actually build quite a lot. People have built working computers in Minecraft. Granted they only store a very very small amount of data, but it's certainly nothing the creators ever intended. It's also incredibly easy for younger kids to play. So an adult can go build his fancy machine while within viewing distance a small child can attempt to punch trees. Plus the exploration is fun if that's your thing. Additionally the game is pretty easy to mod on the server side if you know Java if you want to alter the rules.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Most people I know who were in Minecraft during alpha are long gone. It's the consoles and kids who are fueling their current success. Two women at work have 9-12 year old kids who are Minecraft fiends and a bunch of their friends play Minecraft. It's a pretty easy game to let your kid play.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
:eek:

What the heck is ^^^ that thing?

Some nutty contraption some of my friends made in their first play session whilst I was showing them the ropes.

----------

Most people I know who were in Minecraft during alpha are long gone.

I'm not in massive love with the game like some people are, I'll come back to it once every few months for a few days... but everyone I know who played the in the Alpha days is still coming back. Yeah kids are funding it these days but the old ones are still around too. It's just we get drowned out by the sound of kids screaming ;)

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I love the description "Lego for adults" (even though I know more adults than children that play with Legos).

I have the game on the 360 and I prefer the creative mode to survival. I am not as creative as some. I once saw a map of Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past recreated in Minecraft. I just get on with my little brother and we build stuff. It's fun

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005

Well, PS4 version is out - I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is! :D

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I really want to trial it, because I don't want to spend £12 on a game I may only pick up a few times. I completely get the attraction - but not sure I'd stick at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.