Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
All those cool new features in iOS 7,new devices....but is that really the best?

Lets take a look at iOS 5.1.1:

Pros:
-Stable and non laggy
-Great battery life
-Suports 7 iOS devices
-Jailbreakable on all 7 iOS devices
-even the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 dont lag

Cons
-Without jailbreak the same old iOS

So it is really good,stable and nice.I think that we can agree that it was the best iOS ever :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What does "Supports iOS 7 devices mean"? For example, you can't really install iOS 5 on iPhone 5 at all, even if you wanted to. Not quite even sure if you can go back to it on iPhone 4S and/or some other iOS devices.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What does "Supports iOS 7 devices mean"? For example, you can't really install iOS 5 on iPhone 5 at all, even if you wanted to. Not quite even sure if you can go back to it on iPhone 4S and/or some other iOS devices.

He said 7 iOS devices not iOS 7 devices.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
All those cool new features in iOS 7,new devices....but is that really the best?

Pros:
-Stable and non laggy
-Great battery life
-Suports 7 iOS devices

Cons

So it is really good,stable and nice.I think that we can agree that it was the best iOS ever :D

If you don't mind using a 4S or earlier for the rest of your life with 0 support and unresolved security flaws, enjoy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He said 7 iOS devices not iOS 7 devices.
Talk about seeing too many posts/threads that deal with iOS 7 (and the mention of iOS 7 in the beginning of the OP), I got that flipped in my mind reading that (which is probably why I didn't quite get what it meant and asked about it). Thanks for pointing it out.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Talk about seeing too many posts/threads that deal with iOS 7 (and the mention of iOS 7 in the beginning of the OP), I got that flipped in my mind reading that (which is probably why I didn't quite get what it meant and asked about it). Thanks for pointing it out.

Haha! I completely understand. :D

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Ios 5 is boring and laggy on my iphone 4, for example when I open settings the first time I scroll it laggs, there are frame drops, folders are laggy and NC is laggy too where on ios 6 all these things are not.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
If you don't mind using a 4S or earlier for the rest of your life with 0 support and unresolved security flaws, enjoy.

Why should i mind using a 4S?
Also,i will jailbreak it.Which means that i will be able to patch the security flaws with tweaks

0 support?There are many 3rd party fixing stores

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Pros:
-Stable and non laggy
-Great battery life
-Suports 7 iOS devices

Cons

I believe iOS 6 is the worst iOS ever.
Battery life on my iOS 7 beta is better than iOS 6...
Seeing as iOS 7 is polarizing...I can understand why you like iOS 5 the most.

On the other hand....I think youre trying to rationalize it to yourself. I give it about 2 months. you'll end up updating.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I agree, iOS 5 was great.

It all started going downhill with iOS 6...

Removed the YouTube App
Removed Google Maps
Ugly new layout for App store and iTunes store.
Ugly phone dialer.
Ugly music app.
Inconsistent status bar colour.

As for iOS 7.. Some people like it, but for me it's just tasteless garbage.

iOS 5 will definitely go down as the greatest iOS for me.

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
I have to agree iOS 5 was great with little important tweaks and modifications but it lagged on the 3GS... 3GS works a lot better on 6.1.3 jailbreaked (old bootrom)

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I agree that 5.1.1 is easily the fastest OS on my iPhone 4, but some things bother me just too much

(not ordered by importance)
- no file upload support in Safari
- other features of Safari that came with iOS 6 and will come with 7, for instance the full screen landscape mode, the swipe to go back gesture
- the fact that you can't use your phone number for iMessage on your computer if you have a version earlier than iOS 6 on your phone (and I just don't like having several conversations with one and the same person)
-

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy

On the other hand....I think youre trying to rationalize it to yourself. I give it about 2 months. you'll end up updating.

I wont update-i hate just about eveything on iOS 7:

-New Siri voice sucks

-Icons look childish

-Automatic app updating? COME ON APPLE why are you controling our apps

-Game Center looks like trash

iOS 5.1.1 was also the best one for recording screen-NO LAG

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

-New Siri voice sucks

-Icons look childish

New Siri voices are actually much more natural sounding than the old ones, so most see that as an improvement.

Automatic updating of apps can be controlled by the user and disabled by anyone who wants to.

Icon and app looks, well that's much more subjective and different for everyone (and at least for the most part doesn't affect functionality, at least certainly as far as icons go).

----------

There are definitely some things that can be better/different in iOS 6 (as there are for pretty much any OS and any version of that OS), but battery life isn't an issue for many people, so for those it's certainly not the worst ever or anything like that. Sure, for some it might be an issue (as it can be on pretty much any OS version really), and that might affect their personal decision.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

-New Siri voice sucks

-Icons look childish

- new Siri also has wayyy more features than iOS 5's Siri
- touche
- automatic app updating can be turned off
- you use gamecentre??

----------

New Siri voices are actually much more natural sounding than the old ones, so most see that as an improvement.

Automatic updating of apps can be controlled by the user and disabled by anyone who wants to.

Icon and app looks, well that's much more subjective and different for everyone (and at least for the most part doesn't affect functionality, at least certainly as far as icons go).

----------

There are definitely some things that can be better/different in iOS 6 (as there are for pretty much any OS and any version of that OS), but battery life isn't an issue for many people, so for those it's certainly not the worst ever or anything like that. Sure, for some it might be an issue (as it can be on pretty much any OS version really), and that might affect their personal decision.

I had a brand new iPhone 4S with the latest ios 6. Absolutely no 3rd party apps on it - installed fresh.
battery drained quicker than my girlfriend's iPhone 4S, 6 month old, still on iOS 5.

Sure it's not an 'issue'...at the end of the day, you still charge the phone ..
but overall smoothness of the OS and the bugginess of it was not seen in any other iOS versions. and I've used all since the first iPod touch (iPhone OS 1)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
- new Siri also has wayyy more features than iOS 5's Siri
- touche
- automatic app updating can be turned off
- you use gamecentre??

----------

I had a brand new iPhone 4S with the latest ios 6. Absolutely no 3rd party apps on it - installed fresh.
battery drained quicker than my girlfriend's iPhone 4S, 6 month old, still on iOS 5.

Sure it's not an 'issue'...at the end of the day, you still charge the phone ..
but overall smoothness of the OS and the bugginess of it was not seen in any other iOS versions. and I've used all since the first iPod touch (iPhone OS 1)
I don't deny that it can be an issue for you and probably various other people, maybe even quite a few of them, but, still, for the (vast) majority it hasn't appeared to be one.Smoothness and bugginess, se

em to kind of fall into a similar bucket as far as I can tell, given that most that I know who use iOS 6 and my personal experience with it on multiple devices hasn't led me to really see any smoothness or buggy behavior, at least no more or less than what would typically be in other versions or even OSs. But, perhaps for some others there can be some issues here and there. But it doesn't appear to be a general issue of some sort.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Um yes.I need it so my games saves are online and that i can invite my friend to play.Thats why it was invented -_-

so how does the fact that it looks like trash affect your game saves and the way you invite friends?

and by the way, most apps will require ios 6+ from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.