Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Has anyone with a LG smart TV with the magic remote had any success in using the limited buttons to control the apple tv. I tried to "fake" it by adding an additional device to the remote control panel, but when I go to the apple TV and attempt to learn these commands, the blue bar only goes about 1/3 across the screen and stops. Its like the remote stops sending commands even when you hold the buttons down.

vision4bg

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
I had the same problem. I got past it by pressing the button rapidly myself. Works perfectly now.

Raj Das

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Hi all,

I'm trying to set my LG Magic Remote to work with my Apple TV but can't see it in any of the lists...what/how did you get it to work please?

Regards,

xjames

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Brazil
Hi all,

I'm trying to set my LG Magic Remote to work with my Apple TV but can't see it in any of the lists...what/how did you get it to work please?

Regards,

i selected a random dvd player. In my case an LG DVD player with remote control type 9.

And then on the apple TV I had the apple TV learn this remote for basic operations. I couldnt get it to work for playback controls.

Alokbhargava

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
i selected a random dvd player. In my case an LG DVD player with remote control type 9.

And then on the apple TV I had the apple TV learn this remote for basic operations. I couldnt get it to work for playback controls.
I'm able to successfully link my LG Magic remote with Apple TV 2.0

I followed the above process but it was tricky to press buttons multiple times at a desired time gap to initiate signal recognition. But now it's linked and works like a charm even for play controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.