Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I have AT&T's unlimited data plan for the tablet since iPad1 3G launched.
Now I gave my iPad3 LTE to my parents but I still have a SIM card with me.
The question is am I able to use that unlimited data plan with the unlocked hotspot device such as AT&T elevate?

If anyone is using that, I also would like to know have you ever gotten throttled your speed?
I heard AT&T throttles the speed of the Smartphone's SIM card but not for the tablet one.
If iPad's unlimited data plan SIM card works with the hotspot device, then I'm gonna cancel TWC's internet service.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have AT&T's unlimited data plan for the tablet since iPad1 3G launched.
Now I gave my iPad3 LTE to my parents but I still have a SIM card with me.
The question is am I able to use that unlimited data plan with the unlocked hotspot device such as AT&T elevate?

If anyone is using that, I also would like to know have you ever gotten throttled your speed?
I heard AT&T throttles the speed of the Smartphone's SIM card but not for the tablet one.
If iPad's unlimited data plan SIM card works with the hotspot device, then I'm gonna cancel TWC's internet service.

I also have one of the grandfathered unlimited iPad data plans. I haven't tried using it in a hot spot device but I suspect it wouldn't work. I'm sure you're aware you cannot activate a hotspot on your iPad as AT&T restricts it. My data sim is now being used in my Nexus 7, which natively includes hotspot options in settings. Once I put my AT&T sim in though, they disappear. I suspect you'd get the same result trying it with a hotspot device.

fav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I also have one of the grandfathered unlimited iPad data plans. I haven't tried using it in a hot spot device but I suspect it wouldn't work. I'm sure you're aware you cannot activate a hotspot on your iPad as AT&T restricts it. My data sim is now being used in my Nexus 7, which natively includes hotspot options in settings. Once I put my AT&T sim in though, they disappear. I suspect you'd get the same result trying it with a hotspot device.

Yeah, I heard about you can't use the native hotspot feature on Nexus7 while you put a sim in it, and the option comes back when you put a sim out.
How about if you use a tethering app such as ClockworkMod Tether, Wifi tethering, or any other apps.
I could use a hotspot feature with my iPad3 LTE because I did jailbreak.
I was comparing to get a hotspot device or Nexus7 2013 LTE but I already had Nexus 7 wifi, so I decided to go with the hotspot device.
You still can't use a tethering?

Also, still wondering has anyone ever tried to use the iPad's unlimited data sim on the hotspot device?
I'm sure that I'm not the first one who got this idea in the history:D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, I heard about you can't use the native hotspot feature on Nexus7 while you put a sim in it, and the option comes back when you put a sim out.
How about if you use a tethering app such as ClockworkMod Tether, Wifi tethering, or any other apps.
I could use a hotspot feature with my iPad3 LTE because I did jailbreak.
I was comparing to get a hotspot device or Nexus7 2013 LTE but I already had Nexus 7 wifi, so I decided to go with the hotspot device.
You still can't use a tethering?

Also, still wondering has anyone ever tried to use the iPad's unlimited data sim on the hotspot device?
I'm sure that I'm not the first one who got this idea in the history:D

Did a quick Google search and it looks like people have had success as both the iPad and hotspot devices use broadband APN. So you've inspired me to try it as my kids are always clamoring for wifi when we're out--I ordered an AT&T Unite from Amazon and will test my unlimited sim. If it works, will quickly recoup it in savings from no longer having to get LTE models of tablets.

fav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Did a quick Google search and it looks like people have had success as both the iPad and hotspot devices use broadband APN. So you've inspired me to try it as my kids are always clamoring for wifi when we're out--I ordered an AT&T Unite from Amazon and will test my unlimited sim. If it works, will quickly recoup it in savings from no longer having to get LTE models of tablets.

Do you mind if I ask which page did you check?
I am looking forward to hear your result :)
Boy asks for wifi... Era has changed no wonder why I got old... :D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Do you mind if I ask which page did you check?
I am looking forward to hear your result :)
Boy asks for wifi... Era has changed no wonder why I got old... :D

Just did a Google search such as this. There was even a thread here at MR that appears to confirm it works.

And yeah, my kids are bit spoiled but not really as bad as I made it sound. They each have hand-me-down devices and actually use them to do some school work--if I can have them connect to the internet, there's no excuse for not doing work and just playing games. ;):D

Will also be handy for vacations/traveling. I'll keep you posted.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

This is interesting - I guess they got smart since earlier in the year. When I had my Nexus 4 I was able to tether even though I had an unlimited plan.

fav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
This is interesting - I guess they got smart since earlier in the year. When I had my Nexus 4 I was able to tether even though I had an unlimited plan.

Didn't you get a notification about AT&T would kill your unlimited plan while you were using an iPad's unlimited data plan SIM with Nexus4 or any other Smartphones?
When I put my data sim in to iPhone 4 and 5, I got a notification.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Didn't you get a notification about AT&T would kill your unlimited plan while you were using an iPad's unlimited data plan SIM with Nexus4 or any other Smartphones?

I think he was using a phone plan with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, not a data only sim. AT&T blocks the ability to tether using these plans on iPhones but you used to be able to get around the restrictions using an unlocked, carrier free device.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Maybe it was because I was using a regular iPhone unlimited sim in the Nexus 4.

----------

I think he was using a phone plan with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, not a data only sim. AT&T blocks the ability to tether using these plans on iPhones but you used to be able to get around the restrictions using an unlocked, carrier free device.

Yup, this exactly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Received my AT&T Unite hotspot unit today and am happy to confirm that it works beautifully with my iPad Mini's unlimited data sim. Using it was as simple as removing the nano sim from my Nexus 7, placing it into a full size sim adapter and inserting it into the Unite--no setup or configuration required. I connected with a couple of different devices and saw DL speeds around 30 Mbps over LTE.

Looks like my LTE Nexus 7 may be going back to Google to be replaced with a standard wifi only model. My kids also aren't going to be too happy to see that they can do any computer based homework even after we leave the house. ;):D

fav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I received my Unlocked AT&T 4G elevate hotspot and SIM adapter today. Now it's working perfect as I desired! I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago!?
I only get 40% signal strength but the download speed is about 15-20Mbps and the upload is 10Mbps during the daytime. This is much better than Time Warner Cable so I am going to cancel their poor service:D

Received my AT&T Unite hotspot unit today and am happy to confirm that it works beautifully with my iPad Mini's unlimited data sim. Using it was as simple as removing the nano sim from my Nexus 7, placing it into a full size sim adapter and inserting it into the Unite--no setup or configuration required. I connected with a couple of different devices and saw DL speeds around 30 Mbps over LTE.

Looks like my LTE Nexus 7 may be going back to Google to be replaced with a standard wifi only model. My kids also aren't going to be too happy to see that they can do any computer based homework even after we leave the house. ;):D

I'm so glad to hear about that! We made a right decision it seems like!
It is good to know that we don't need to buy LTE enable device anymore so we can save the money ;)
For kids, I'm sorry that I gave a hint to their father to block their excuse lol

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I received my Unlocked AT&T 4G elevate hotspot and SIM adapter today. Now it's working perfect as I desired! I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago!?
I only get 40% signal strength but the download speed is about 15-20Mbps and the upload is 10Mbps during the daytime. This is much better than Time Warner Cable so I am going to cancel their poor service:D

I'm so glad to hear about that! We made a right decision it seems like!
It is good to know that we don't need to buy LTE enable device anymore so we can save the money ;)
For kids, I'm sorry that I gave a hint to their father to block their excuse lol

So far so good but I'm still a bit wary that AT&T will catch on and block access. I figure if I'm able to keep using it for a few months then I'll be OK.

RobertoG

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2013
If you start a VPN connection to a VPN company (few $$ a year), AT&T shouldn't be able to Deep-Packet-Inspect you.

kmd606

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
So far so good but I'm still a bit wary that AT&T will catch on and block access. I figure if I'm able to keep using it for a few months then I'll be OK.

It has been about a month since you posted this message. Are you still good with the Elevate? Any issues?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It has been about a month since you posted this message. Are you still good with the Elevate? Any issues?

No issues so far, still going strong. Last automatic renewal went through without any issue. I will be watchful of what happens at the end of this month as I've already used about 4GB after 10 days of this cycle (let my mom restore her iPhone from backup over it ;)) and my kids use has bumped it up from my typical month. Hopefully no throttling.

kmd606

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
No issues so far, still going strong. Last automatic renewal went through without any issue. I will be watchful of what happens at the end of this month as I've already used about 4GB after 10 days of this cycle (let my mom restore her iPhone from backup over it ;)) and my kids use has bumped it up from my typical month. Hopefully no throttling.

Thanks for the update. Does the MiFi device have to be unlocked? Also, do you think it will work with the AT&T Liberate MiFi Device?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for the update. Does the MiFi device have to be unlocked? Also, do you think it will work with the AT&T Liberate MiFi Device?

If by unlocked you mean sim unlocked, I don't see why it would matter if you're using an AT&T sim card as I am in my Unite. And again if you're using an AT&T sim card, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Liberate.

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Sim adapter

If by unlocked you mean sim unlocked, I don't see why it would matter if you're using an AT&T sim card as I am in my Unite. And again if you're using an AT&T sim card, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Liberate.

I've been thinking to try this also but have a few questions.

I just received my unite, where do I purchase a sim adapter? I currently have the nano sim with the AT&T iPad unlimited plan with the mini? Do I need to update anything on my account when I use the unite (imei)?

What's you current usage rate. Have you passed 5GB?

Thanks

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've been thinking to try this also but have a few questions.

I just received my unite, where do I purchase a sim adapter? I currently have the nano sim with the AT&T iPad unlimited plan with the mini? Do I need to update anything on my account when I use the unite (imei)?

What's you current usage rate. Have you passed 5GB?

Thanks

I had an extra sim adapter lying around as I needed them for the past year because I switched phones often but any I've purchased have been via Amazon. I didn't touch anything on my grandfathered AT&T iPad data plan, just popped it into the Unite straight out of the box (using a similar adapter as the Unite uses a full size sim), turned it on and had connectivity straight away.

As far as usage, last month was my first month using the Unite and believe I used about 6GB, was never throttled and didn't receive any notifications from AT&T. I never tracked my usage when using it in my tablets, probably only went over 5GB a few times in the 3+ years I've had it.

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I had an extra sim adapter lying around as I needed them for the past year because I switched phones often but any I've purchased have been via Amazon. I didn't touch anything on my grandfathered AT&T iPad data plan, just popped it into the Unite straight out of the box (using a similar adapter as the Unite uses a full size sim), turned it on and had connectivity straight away.

As far as usage, last month was my first month using the Unite and believe I used about 6GB, was never throttled and didn't receive any notifications from AT&T. I never tracked my usage when using it in my tablets, probably only went over 5GB a few times in the 3+ years I've had it.

I'll check Amazon for the adapter. I'll update as soon as I receiving it. Thanks for the reply!

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010

Purchased a sim adapter at my local shopping mall! Inserted the sim and getting awesome download speeds!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 122

BrutuSX

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
This thread should disappear. Soon.

You have all forgotten the first rule of fight club.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

Last edited:

jayjayn

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
I've had mine for a few months now in my mifi liberate and works great, just haven't upgraded to the LTE sim yet, I would need to buy an ipad with LTE first to be able to get that change in speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.