Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Anyone take the plunge yet?

I'm holding off on the upgrade for my media serving iMac until I see just how much of wine/comskip will work after the upgrade.

I did not enjoy the lengthy wine/etvcomskip install process and want to avoid doing it again if I don't have to.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Anyone take the plunge yet?

I'm holding off on the upgrade for my media serving iMac until I see just how much of wine/comskip will work after the upgrade.

I did not enjoy the lengthy wine/etvcomskip install process and want to avoid doing it again if I don't have to.

Im also in this boat. Anyone given this a try? I also was not too keen on the lengthy and complicated installation, and I'm still having to deal with occasional issues with it so I'm hoping to avoid breaking things by upgrading.

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Me too

I get the majority of my content from my two HD tuners and EyeTV/Comskip setup.

Has anyone tried the Update with these Apps.

HD

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Been running Mavericks for about a week. EyeTV seems to be working as normal. Haven't noticed any changes. Comskip only works for some channels, but that's how it was before the update for me. (Haven't invested the time to optimize com skip. Simpler just to hit the "skip ahead" button a few times.)

Never used Wine. What's that?

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Been running Mavericks for about a week. EyeTV seems to be working as normal. Haven't noticed any changes. Comskip only works for some channels, but that's how it was before the update for me. (Haven't invested the time to optimize com skip. Simpler just to hit the "skip ahead" button a few times.)

Never used Wine. What's that?

Wine is dos emulation software run through the command line in terminal. It's usually used with com skip when it's installed with macports from terminal.

How did you install com skip?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Wine is dos emulation software run through the command line in terminal. It's usually used with com skip when it's installed with macports from terminal.

I honestly don't remember as it was a couple of years ago. But in my swiss-cheesed memory I thought I just downloaded an installer and placed an applescript in a particular EyeTV directory.

I suppose it's possible I used wine and then forgot. (that sentence is usually spoken in a different context.:D)

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I honestly don't remember as it was a couple of years ago. But in my swiss-cheesed memory I thought I just downloaded an installer and placed an applescript in a particular EyeTV directory.

I suppose it's possible I used wine and then forgot. (that sentence is usually spoken in a different context.:D)

I'm in the same boat - there are about 2 things I seem to remember how to do these days and this just happens to be one of them :)

Thanks! Based on that I might just pull the trigger at last.

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009

I may be able to help you with COMSKIP install let me look for files, it works really well, the only short coming is you can send the recording directly to AppleTV and have COMSKIP work. Instead your record it to EYETV then after a few mins. you can export to AppleTV with the Skips programmed. It would be nice if your could program a delay into EYETV to wait 5 mins before sending to APPLETV all as part of the recording process.

If you email me I'll forward a DMG file for EYETV ComSkip hoggdoc1946@yahoo.com

HD

Last edited:

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I may be able to help you with COMSKIP install let me look for files, it works really well, the only short coming is you can send the recording directly to AppleTV and have COMSKIP work. Instead your record it to EYETV then after a few mins. you can export to AppleTV with the Skips programmed. It would be nice if your could program a delay into EYETV to wait 5 mins before sending to APPLETV all as part of the recording process.

If you email me I'll forward a DMG file for EYETV ComSkip hoggdoc1946@yahoo.com

HD

Thanks, but I have comskip, wine and mac ports running just fine, my question was whether anyone had successfully upgraded to 10.9 from 10.8.x and whether it involved a lengthy reinstall of those pieces of software.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Well, I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

The only issue I ran into was a permissions error on the com skip folder after upgrade. Re-set permissions on that one, and i'm good to go.

Time will tell, but through 24 hours of testing all appears to be working well under light loads.

casperwitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Australia
Installed wine 1.7.6 with macports, quartz and comskip installed. I removed wine 1.1.14 from ETVcomskip folder? Not working all. help?

Last edited:

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I'm in the same boat - there are about 2 things I seem to remember how to do these days and this just happens to be one of them :)

Thanks! Based on that I might just pull the trigger at last.

Well, I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

The only issue I ran into was a permissions error on the com skip folder after upgrade. Re-set permissions on that one, and i'm good to go.

Time will tell, but through 24 hours of testing all appears to be working well under light loads.

Well I haven't upgraded yet, how is your install of Mavericks running, any issues with EyeTV and Comskip? You mentioned you have to fix a permissions error in the com skip folder, how did you do that? I know how to run the fix permissions routine from with is Disk Utility, but not sure how you would fix an error in just one folder.

Can you let me know please?

I also us a app called iSTAT MENUS 3 (very nice) has anyone had issues with Mavericks and this app?

HD :eek:

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Well I haven't upgraded yet, how is your install of Mavericks running, any issues with EyeTV and Comskip? You mentioned you have to fix a permissions error in the com skip folder, how did you do that? I know how to run the fix permissions routine from with is Disk Utility, but not sure how you would fix an error in just one folder.

Can you let me know please?

I also us a app called iSTAT MENUS 3 (very nice) has anyone had issues with Mavericks and this app?

HD :eek:

The comskip folder permissions were fixed with a right click, and expanding permission for read/write to everyone.

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
ComSkip update

Ok folks, I have been running ComSkip on Mavericks 10.9.2 for sometime now with no issues.

I have an issue that has bugged me for sometime that maybe someone can answer:

When a show finishes recording there is a delay (of unknown time) before ComSkip actual marks the file for commercial skips.

Here is my issue, in EyeTV when you setup or edit a SmartGuide you have the option to instruct EyeTV what to do when the recording is finished. One of those options is having EyeTV export the recording to AppleTV or iPhone. However, if you do that the recording will not have time for ComSkip to run and mark the commercials to skip.

Has anyone come up with a way to delay the export function of EyeTV long enough to all ComSkip to do it thing?

Hoggdoc :confused:

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Has anyone come up with a way to delay the export function of EyeTV long enough to all ComSkip to do it thing?

Hoggdoc :confused:

I use ffmpeg (and a few other bits of software to deal with the metadata) to do the export as part of the RecordingDone script. That way it happens after Comskip does it's thing.

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I use ffmpeg (and a few other bits of software to deal with the metadata) to do the export as part of the RecordingDone script. That way it happens after Comskip does it's thing.

OK thanks for the information. Unfortunitly I have no clue how to duplicate your setup.

Is it possible share your install?

I have been Cable Cutter before they came up with a name for it. I have two tuners connected to my iMac being managed by the latest edition on EyeTV. With the exception of having to manually manage the export function to my AppleTV, the system is automated.

So anything you can do to help me configure ComSkip to stop the export until its done marking the commemricals would greatly appreciated.

Also sent JPM a PM!

Wayne

Last edited:

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
How I did it...

I can't give you my install because it's very specific to my setup. I can describe the general set of steps that my RecordingDone script follows, and probably a few code snippets if you get stuck.

You'll need to be familiar with Applescript, or willing to learn. There is quite a bit of it for all this to work. You also need to be comfortable with command line utilities - whenever one is referenced below, the script builds the command line then executes a shell script.

Software required (all are open source, and the command line versions of Subler and MediaInfo are used, not the GUI versions):
  • ffmpeg
  • Subler
  • mp4v2
  • MediaInfo
  • and of course EyeTV, comskip, iTunes, etc.
The steps:

1. Get some basic information about the show just recorded from EyeTV - the recording id (a unique number that EyeTV assigns to the recording), the show name, episode title & description and park it all in variables that will be used later when adding metadata to the finished file.
  2. Troll the .eyetv file for the name of the file(s) that represent the actual recording and EyeTV metadata. The .eyetv file is actually a folder with a bunch of files inside that are named by EyeTV.
  3. Generate some POSIX paths from the above so the command line utilities will know where to find the files.
  4. Create a name for the finished file (I use the show title or the date/time stamp if there is no title).
  5. Run ComSkip.
  6. Use the EyeTV metadata file that was figured out in step 2 to get some more information about the show - season #, episode #, genre and air date. (This plus the basic info from step 1 gives me what I need to make iTunes/aTV work nicely. YMMV.). Also reformat the air date to a numeric string that can be used with the command line utilities later.
  7. Use MediaInfo to figure out how many channels (2 or 5.1) are in the original recording.
  8. Trancoding using ffmpeg. The exact steps and command line are going to be determined by your needs and the original input file. This is what I do:
    • Transcode the original AC3 audio to a new AC3 audio file. This fixes some audio problems I encounter with the original audio from my calbe box.
    • Transcode the original AC3 audio to a 2 channel AAC file.
    • Copy the video stream to a new file. I don't need to do any encoding because I'm using the Hauppauge HDPVR so the video is already in h.264.
  9. Build the finished file using Subler and optimize the file for streaming.
  10. Disable the AAC track using mp4tags (part of mp4v2). AppleTV will then take the AC3 track by default, and iDevices will find the AAC track.
  11. Use mp4tags (part of mp4v2) to add all of the show metadata to the new file (identify as TV Show, show name, episode name, episode description, season #, episode #, genre, air date and also put the unique ID of the recording in the comments section (I use this in my clean-up script to delete the original from EyeTV)
  12. Import the chapters file created by Comskip using mp4chaps (part of mp4v2)
  13. Add cover art using mp4art (part of mp4v2). Pulls from a folder I manually maintain with cover art for the shows I watch regularly. Thought about querying thetvdb.com to do this but it's more effort than it's worth IMO. It also logs the name of any TV show that it can't find artwork for to a text file in case I want to go find some.
  14. Copy the finished file to the "automatically import to iTunes" folder, with a large timeout (a few minutes) so the file isn't deleted while copying.
  15. Clean up the working folder, deleting the chapters file, intermediate audio files and the finished video file.

That's it. I can try to answer any questions, but in some cases I've just copied code from wherever I found it so I don't always fully understand how it works, only that it works. :)

I can't take credit for parts of what I've done - I built on what others have posted not only for EyeTV but also Applescript in general - but I had so many sources, Google searches and the like that I can't point to what came from there to give proper credit.

I should also mention that I'm using Snow Leopard, not Mavericks, but there is no reason why anything I've done would not work on Mavericks.

Last edited:

hoggdoc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I can't give you my install because it's very specific to my setup. I can describe the general set of steps that my RecordingDone script follows, and probably a few code snippets if you get stuck.

You'll need to be familiar with Applescript, or willing to learn. There is quite a bit of it for all this to work. You also need to be comfortable with command line utilities - whenever one is referenced below, the script builds the command line then executes a shell script.

Software required (all are open source, and the command line versions of Subler and MediaInfo are used, not the GUI versions):
  • ffmpeg
  • Subler
  • mp4v2
  • MediaInfo
  • and of course EyeTV, comskip, iTunes, etc.
The steps:

1. Get some basic information about the show just recorded from EyeTV - the recording id (a unique number that EyeTV assigns to the recording), the show name, episode title & description and park it all in variables that will be used later when adding metadata to the finished file.
  2. Troll the .eyetv file for the name of the file(s) that represent the actual recording and EyeTV metadata. The .eyetv file is actually a folder with a bunch of files inside that are named by EyeTV.
  3. Generate some POSIX paths from the above so the command line utilities will know where to find the files.
  4. Create a name for the finished file (I use the show title or the date/time stamp if there is no title).
  5. Run ComSkip.
  6. Use the EyeTV metadata file that was figured out in step 2 to get some more information about the show - season #, episode #, genre and air date. (This plus the basic info from step 1 gives me what I need to make iTunes/aTV work nicely. YMMV.). Also reformat the air date to a numeric string that can be used with the command line utilities later.
  7. Use MediaInfo to figure out how many channels (2 or 5.1) are in the original recording.
  8. Trancoding using ffmpeg. The exact steps and command line are going to be determined by your needs and the original input file. This is what I do:
    • Transcode the original AC3 audio to a new AC3 audio file. This fixes some audio problems I encounter with the original audio from my calbe box.
    • Transcode the original AC3 audio to a 2 channel AAC file.
    • Copy the video stream to a new file. I don't need to do any encoding because I'm using the Hauppauge HDPVR so the video is already in h.264.
  9. Build the finished file using Subler and optimize the file for streaming.
  10. Disable the AAC track using mp4tags (part of mp4v2). AppleTV will then take the AC3 track by default, and iDevices will find the AAC track.
  11. Use mp4tags (part of mp4v2) to add all of the show metadata to the new file (identify as TV Show, show name, episode name, episode description, season #, episode #, genre, air date and also put the unique ID of the recording in the comments section (I use this in my clean-up script to delete the original from EyeTV)
  12. Import the chapters file created by Comskip using mp4chaps (part of mp4v2)
  13. Add cover art using mp4art (part of mp4v2). Pulls from a folder I manually maintain with cover art for the shows I watch regularly. Thought about querying thetvdb.com to do this but it's more effort than it's worth IMO. It also logs the name of any TV show that it can't find artwork for to a text file in case I want to go find some.
  14. Copy the finished file to the "automatically import to iTunes" folder, with a large timeout (a few minutes) so the file isn't deleted while copying.
  15. Clean up the working folder, deleting the chapters file, intermediate audio files and the finished video file.

That's it. I can try to answer any questions, but in some cases I've just copied code from wherever I found it so I don't always fully understand how it works, only that it works. :)

I can't take credit for parts of what I've done - I built on what others have posted not only for EyeTV but also Applescript in general - but I had so many sources, Google searches and the like that I can't point to what came from there to give proper credit.

I should also mention that I'm using Snow Leopard, not Mavericks, but there is no reason why anything I've done would not work on Mavericks.

Well that's a lot to wrap my head around. I don't know AppleScript but could probably learn it in time being an old DB2 programmer.

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, but frankly it's way more complicated than I anticipated so I will probably continue to record wait then export to the Apple TV. Wish it was easier because it would be really cool to be able to just establish the smart guide and have export automatically.

Thanks again for taking the time hopefully someone else smarter than I will be of make use of your explanation.

HD ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.