Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Just picked up the iPad air 128gb
as i run my fingers horizontally across the edge, the edge feels rough almost sharp. Compared this to my version 3 pad and iPhone 5s they are perfectly smooth. Anyone else notice this? Wondering if the guy or girl in charge of polishing forgot to do mine?

echo44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
had a friend check it out today to see if it was just me
he also noted the edges felt a little rough especially comparing with
my previous iPad. I am not sure if i should return it as it is livable
and the screen is good. I know if I exchange it I ll get a smoother one with a defective screen thats just my luck.
Has any one else noted that there is a a very fine space between the glass and frame that you can feel the edge with your nail?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
The edge of the back should be cut like the facet of a diamond, while being quite smooth. It does feel sharp, because the cut is rather fine compared to the older iPads. This was a feature of the Mini, and its implementation in the Air's design was highlighted during Apple's October event.

Previous iPads had a plastic band between the glass and the aluminum housing. The Air does not have that ring, and an examination with a 10X lens shows the glass and the aluminum housing sit at an almost equal height. The Mini's glass sits just a bit higher than the housing.

Soundbud

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
Sharp edges on iPad Air 2

I just received my iPad Air 2 128gb yesterday and that's the first thing I noticted about the ipad is that the edges feel sharp and not what I would expect from an apple product. Everything else seems to be quite impressive but when holding the ipad naked without any form of covering. This is the complete opposite to previous iPads where they have always felt very nice to hold without a case or cover.

Disappointed to be honest!

Also having another issue where a page loads that contains a web form, I get a modal saying 'undo typing' or 'cancel' this can't be normal? It's happening a lot as well as there seems to be a lot of flex in this ipad compared to my ipad retina 4th generation. Although that may be normal considering the dramatic weight loss.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Also having another issue where a page loads that contains a web form, I get a modal saying 'undo typing' or 'cancel' this can't be normal? It's happening a lot as well as there seems to be a lot of flex in this ipad compared to my ipad retina 4th generation. Although that may be normal considering the dramatic weight loss.

The iPad Air & Air 2 (not really sure about other models) have a movement detection system where if you jolt, shake, or move it excessively when in a text entry form or app, it will display this. It seems to be overly sensitive with the Air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.