Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
It would be nice if Apple made an airplay hdmi dongle. I have an appleTV but it would be nice to go over relatives or friends houses and stream photos and videos from my ipad without needing an appleTV.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's no different then me hooking my MacBook pro up to the tv. I want to be able to sit on the couch and stream it from my iPad like I do with the AppleTV.

Take your Apple TV with you? Oh, how about Google's Chromecast? I'm not exactly sure how that works, but perhaps it does what you want. Worth looking into, I think.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
It would be nice if Apple made an airplay hdmi dongle. I have an appleTV but it would be nice to go over relatives or friends houses and stream photos and videos from my ipad without needing an appleTV.

How is what you're asking for different from an AppleTV? You'd still need to plug a dongle in to the relative's TV, and plug the power cord in to the wall (this is how Chromecast works).

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
How is what you're asking for different from an AppleTV? You'd still need to plug a dongle in to the relative's TV, and plug the power cord in to the wall (this is how Chromecast works).

It would be nice to have a little HDMI dongle without needing to plug a power source into it. Just run off the power from the HDMI port.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
HDMI doesn't have power.
The Chromecast has to get power from something. I'll bet HDMI provides a small amount of power, similar to USB. (Researching...) Yep, it does.

http://www.interfacebus.com/HDMI_Pinout_Bus.html

----------

I might try the iPush D2. Looks interesting.
Be sure to find software compatible with that device. It looks very Android-specific, even though the description shows iOS support. It appears to be DLNA-based, meaning that you can't directly broadcast your screen to the TV like you can with the AppleTV. You might as well just take your AppleTV with you.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The Chromecast has to get power from something. I'll bet HDMI provides a small amount of power, similar to USB. (Researching...) Yep, it does.

http://www.interfacebus.com/HDMI_Pinout_Bus.html[

Female HDMI doesn't have power. The power (pin 18 5V/50ma) MUST come from the device and into the female HDMI plug (no power out).

Chromecast MUST be plugged into a power source since HDMI can not provide power.

EDIT: Also the power (if it's direction was the other way) at 0.25 watts would be woefully insufficient to run any radio device.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

Its called the APple TV :rolleyes:

anything else would likely just be a device thats about the same size and cost the same amount but with less features... might as well just pick up your apple TV and take it with you

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Chromecast does need separate power.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/24/chromecast-first-look/

chromecast-the-reality.jpg

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
chrome cast can either use its power supply (shown above) or via USB port (if the TV has one)

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It still requires the cable in the back.

I don't understand your post. The ChromeCast dongle is plugged right into the HDMI port. I have the USB cable plugged into the dongle and then plugged into a USB port that is immediately under the HDMI port. Is that what you meant?

My understanding is that some of the newer TVs have HDMI ports that supply power. But my TV is several years old.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't understand your post. The ChromeCast dongle is plugged right into the HDMI port. I have the USB cable plugged into the dongle and then plugged into a USB port that is immediately under the HDMI port. Is that what you meant?

I'm not the poster you were talking to, but I did have a problem with the Chromecast promotion pictures all showing just the unit only, while in reality, in order to use it, you have to attach the USB cable -- either to a port on the TV or to the power adapter. The cable looks like it increases the bulk of the setup quite a bit.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Female HDMI doesn't have power. The power (pin 18 5V/50ma) MUST come from the device and into the female HDMI plug (no power out).

Chromecast MUST be plugged into a power source since HDMI can not provide power.

EDIT: Also the power (if it's direction was the other way) at 0.25 watts would be woefully insufficient to run any radio device.

The newest revision of hdmi provides power. Newer TVs can indeed power the chromecast through HDMI. No other connection is required in those cases.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I'm not the poster you were talking to, but I did have a problem with the Chromecast promotion pictures all showing just the unit only, while in reality, in order to use it, you have to attach the USB cable -- either to a port on the TV or to the power adapter. The cable looks like it increases the bulk of the setup quite a bit.

I understand. I was confused at first too but I read the reviews before I bought it so I knew what to expect. I don't have to use the long cord so for my TV, it's really very neat but if your USB ports are not close it could get messy. But as I said, apparently some new TVs have powered HDMI ports so that's nice. But I'm not about to go buy a new TV just for that. Mine is hidden so I really only care about messy cables when I get back there to clean so I would have been ok even with using the power cord. After all, logically the dongle must have power.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The newest revision of hdmi provides power. Newer TVs can indeed power the chromecast through HDMI. No other connection is required in those cases.

Are you doing this? Because according to HDMI.org it is not part of the HDMI 1.4 spec. 5V 50ma which is only 0.25watts (source only) is insufficient to power a transmitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.