Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Does anyone know how to move files instead of copying them (within the same drive) in Mavericks?

Dragging the files copies them. Holding command doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?

TIA

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Does anyone know how to move files instead of copying them (within the same drive) in Mavericks?

Any ideas?

TIA
By "within the same drive," do you mean "between different partitions on the same drive"? Otherwise, dastinger is correct. Drag is a move operation. It was ever thus. Within a single partition, [option]-drag is a copy operation.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
Bear in mind that you must also have write permission to the enclosing folder/directory of a file in order to move it from that location. If the directory is read-only to you, you can only copy from it.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011

Any ideas?

TIA

Copy/paste is ⌘-C, ⌘-V.

Cut/paste is ⌘-C, ⌘-⌥-V.

EDIT: For files.

Last edited:

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
⌘X is standard for cut and has been previous to Mavericks.
Correct.

With files there is no Cut and paste, instead one must use copy and move which has the same effect, but without the risk of data loss.

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
cut and copy are the same

when you paste if you want it to move press: command option v
when you paste if you want it to copy press: command v

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Correct.

With files there is no Cut and paste, instead one must use copy and move which has the same effect, but without the risk of data loss.

Right, which is what I meant. I know you can cut/paste text with ⌘-X, ⌘-V.

mark00thomas

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Anyone know how to change/reverse the default drag and drop mouse function from the default of copy to move without using command or any other modifier keys (truly one handed)?

I'm thinking that since I can count to 20 without taking off my shoe, I should be able move a file without touching my keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no way for you to alter the way OSX moves/copies files. Same volume it moves the file, different volume it copies the files.

This is how windows works as well and you need to hold a key down in windows to alter the copy/move action as well.

life036

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
By "within the same drive," do you mean "between different partitions on the same drive"? Otherwise, dastinger is correct. Drag is a move operation. It was ever thus. Within a single partition, [option]-drag is a copy operation.

I'm sorry, but you guys are just flat-out wrong. Even in the SAME partition I'm getting this stupid "copy" behavior and I can't do anything about it.

I'm logged in as admin, with read/write priviliges on the ENTIRE directory of one of the user folders. I'm trying to move files from WITHIN that user's folder (from HER desktop folder to HER documents folder), and all it wants to do is copy them. I shouldn't have to wait around for 80GBs worth of files to copy/paste when they should just be moved immediately.

I swear, it's always 1 step forward 2 steps back with Apple. They have to break something in every damn release.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm sorry, but you guys are just flat-out wrong. Even in the SAME partition I'm getting this stupid "copy" behavior and I can't do anything about it.

I'm logged in as admin, with read/write priviliges on the ENTIRE directory of one of the user folders. I'm trying to move files from WITHIN that user's folder (from HER desktop folder to HER documents folder), and all it wants to do is copy them. I shouldn't have to wait around for 80GBs worth of files to copy/paste when they should just be moved immediately.

I swear, it's always 1 step forward 2 steps back with Apple. They have to break something in every damn release.

move IS the default, and...something is up with what you're doing. so, not an apple issue... it's not broken in mavericks, but in YOUR experience. are you logged into HER account?

life036

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
It's not the default when you're working in another user's folder, as I explained above (even though I have full admin read/write permissions on that user folder).

It's not a different partition, and I can duplicate this behavior on any other 10.9 machine. Yes, it is an Apple issue.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It's not the default when you're working in another user's folder, as I explained above (even though I have full admin read/write permissions on that user folder).

It's not a different partition, and I can duplicate this behavior on any other 10.9 machine. Yes, it is an Apple issue.

Strictly speaking, it is about filesystems not partitions. And it works the way everyone has described it, and has for as long as I can remember.

The reason it does not work for you is that you do not have all the permissions you think you do. I suggest that there is an ACL on the user's directory that denies delete, which means you cannot 'move' files, only copy them.

You may not like the behavior, but it is (as they used to say 'working as designed'. :)

A.

Last edited:

life036

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
No, I have delete capability in this user's folder. It's just bad design by Apple.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
No, I have delete capability in this user's folder. It's just bad design by Apple.

So you can take any arbitrary file in this user's folder, drag it to the trash and delete it without authentication?

A.

Last edited:

life036

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Of course not. You can't even delete a file from your own desktop without getting prompted for a password in this ridiculous operating system.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Of course not. You can't even delete a file from your own desktop without getting prompted for a password in this ridiculous operating system.

it's all of us, not you, of course... :cool:

----------

again, something's wrong with your experience, this is NOT the default...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.