Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
So does anyone else remember Noisy Typer, that silly little Mac app that makes your keyboard sound like a typewriter? Well I am using it right now (with headphones, fortunately) and I love it! It's just a shame that it is only compatible with Mountain Lion. I have tested it on Mavericks and it doesn't work. Probably something to do with the way Mavericks handles assistive devices differently. Anyway, it would mean a lot to me if I didn't have to stop using it when I upgraded.

I have contacted the developer, and got no response. It looks like a one-off free time project that only ever had a 1.0 release. But he did also release the source code! So how difficult would it be for one of us update the code to make it compatible with the Mavericks APIs and compile it? If I had to do it myself, how would I go about doing so? (I have next to no knowledge of programming, but I'll give it a shot)

Oh, and would it also be possible to change which keys make different sounds? I have wanted for a while to make the left/right arrow keys produce the same paper scrolling sound as the up/down arrows. How would one do that?

Last edited:

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
No replies, really? :rolleyes:

To those who are finding this through a google search, I would recommend Typewriter Keyboard by AlphaOmega software.

It's $27 to get rid of the free trial message. It's customisable, and you can even attach the old sounds that came with NoisyTyper (which I have uploaded with this post). And it supports more than one version of OS X.

Keyclick is free alternative, but in my opinion the sounds are less pleasing.

Attachments

• NoisyTyper sounds.zip
    272.7 KB · Views: 816

bambamra

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Noisy Typer does work on Mavericks. All you have to do is go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility and drag the app onto the list (you might have to click the lock in the bottom left corner to make changes). Then you can open the app and it should be there with the checkbox already ticked (if it's not, try dragging the app onto the list while it's running).

Tested on Mavericks 10.9.1, MacBook Pro Retina 13" Late 2013

mporreca

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Excellent, the privacy check instruction works as well for Yosemite as it does for Mavericks. Thanks!

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
I can't get Noisy Typer to work on 10.8.4

I'm not a programmer or anything, but I'd really like to use the app. I have selected "Enable access for assistive devices" and opened the Noisy Typer app. The app did prompt me with a message reminder about how to turn the app off, but after clicking "ok" I have yet to get any sound whatsoever from keyboard operations. I have another computer with Mavericks that I tried to install last night. The app never showed up in the list of apps seeking access. Am I doomed to silent new school keyboard typing, or is there still hope?

Blair

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Thanks

Not if you perform the System Preferences setup as described by bambamra in post #3.

I was ready to respond with great hostility, but like a typical guy, I had only read part of bambamra's post. I was able to drag the app into the program list and get it to work.

Thanks for taking the time to remind me to be a more thorough reader. I am not sure how to get my laptop running 10.8.4 to work, but I will start by reevaluating posts related to this matter.

Cheers!

hecallaghan

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
Cambridge
I got this to work on Sierra by following the instructions above. There was a problem initially, because I tried to run it before discovering this thread and I could neither hear it, not locate it to close it in Force Quit. But when I deleted it and the previous settings, did everything again only this time in the right order, and then restarted the laptop, it worked perfectly. I love it!

Sierra 10.12.3 MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.