Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
2020 and 9 major countries now in game!
War Thunder is by far broadest Historical game ever.

Click on the big banner below to earn extra Gold Eagles.

Now that Gaijin has released the Mac, we can now enjoy an up to date air combat game native (and shoot down Windows, PS4, and Linux players to boot!)!
(It is a game, the Flight Model (FM) is not as high quality as a pure flight simulator and a number of aircraft have incorrect FM that is being corrected over time, HOWEVER it is fun and historical game for the casual and serious alike. To that end it can be played well with a MOUSE! In fact, better to play only with mouse.)

Post your WarThunder names here too.

EXCELLENT NEW BEGINNERS TUTORIAL!

Game play comes in 3 modes
  • Arcade Battles (FM is loose, massive no holds barred play)
  • Realistic Battles (FM is strict but mouse fly still allowed, sides strictly followed).
  • Simulation Battles (FM strict, joystick only, NO HUD, very close TARGET HUD).

War Thunder is still in BETA (Windows and Mac) since it came out over a year ago (early 2013). The Beta is more like CYA from the constant changes to game parameters than serious game bugs.

How the game UI works:
Every game you play you earn "Silver Lions", "Research Points" and "Crew Experience". Those earnings are used to purchase/upgrade aircraft and crew. It is possible to buy 95% of the objects in the game (not just units), but to earn that much SL will take MONTHS of playing, 24/7.
Buying Gold Eagles with REAL $$$ allows you to exchange for SL, RP, CE, or a host of other items. One does not gain any performance advantage over someone not buying GE, just allows one to buy and upgrade faster (and a few unique but unremarkable aircraft). Be warned! One can easily spend hundreds of $$$!

Some quick advice to those starting up.
  • SAVE YOUR "GOLD EAGLES". It is the main currency which you pay REAL money for. New players may get 200 GE free, hold on to them. It is used to buy anything in the game, use wisely.
  • Do NOT purchase new crew slots (at first). Save "Silver Lions" (minor currency) for aircraft upgrades and aircraft.
  • Upgrade ONLY ONE of your crew slots, play and spend to get that crew to at least 250 crew experience ASAP.
  • WAIT for SALES to buy stuff. Every month there are discounts and specials, get stuff on sales price! Twice a year there are HUGE sales! Save up until till then.
  • Reserve aircraft are FREE and have NO repair cost. Purchased units give you 10 free repairs, after which you either wait to repair or pay for rush repair.
  • Premium Account is paid for using GE. IF you can spend several hours to play that day, then it is worth to buy one day Premium, otherwise save your GE.
  • Check the WT web site DAILY if you can, they always announce a special event that day so you can net goodies for cheap!
  • April 1st is a day you must log in, no matter what you are doing. :D

MOUSE vs JOYSTICK playing.
Mouse: You can play using only mouse, and it does this by use of an "autopilot" which help the player fly. The biggest crutch in it is the ability to click on the target and your aircraft will point and lock exactly at the target, rock solid, perfect shooting platform. Easy aim and kill.

Joystick does have some powerful abilities, however. One can do maneuvers impossible with mouse players becuase one has full control. You also gain the ability of flying with stick while looking around you with mouse.

3 Game Match types
In the game you can play 3 types of matches.
  • Arcade Battle: Fun mix-mash of aircraft and sides in exaggerated tiny maps, play as many slots as you want. As name suggests, this is really comic play, and a good start to play game.
  • Realistic Battle: More controlled on side and missions, but still quite forgiving flying.
  • Simulation Battle: Joystick only locked-in-cockpit view and other realistic limits (like structural), least popular.

Player eNtaK authored a series of tutorial videos.
Learning the game, Episodes 1 & 2, The Basics
Learning the game, Episodes 3 & 4, Getting around the game.
Learning the game, Episodes 5 & 6, Carriers and Aircraft Types.
Ground Forces #1, Basic setup
Learning the game, Episode 7, Ammunition Belts & Ammo Types

Advanced tutorials for specific tactics are also being produced.
All you need to know about aircraft crews VERY useful information!!
Ground/Sea Attack Tactics - Part 1: Level Bombing
Ground/Sea Attack Tactics - Part 2: Dive Bombing
Ground/Sea Attack Tactics - Part 3: Torpedo Attacks
Ground/Sea Attack Tactics - Part 4: Missile attacks

Upgrading your crew make difference between being an ACE, or being a target.

The key is upgrading your crew to EXPERT level as fast as possible, but very little Gold Eagles.
This is for ANY crew slot, and works for new players or those who play a while but have not upgraded all your potions.

This advice is for Tier 1 aircraft, but it will also help to rapidly unlock Expert to higher tiers.

Tier 1 aircraft need at least Crew Level 3 to unlock the lowest tier aircraft.
Spend 10 Gold Eagles for 130 Crew XP Points and purchase the cheapest levels possible.

Spend exactly on items in image below. If you do it right you gain 88 Crew Levels.
post-634-0-93680100-1408943685_thumb.png

To get the last 3 Crew Level you need to earn about another 30 Crew XP points, will take about 5 average AB missions to do so.
After you earn and spend on the LOWEST COST items in list (Weapon Maintenance and Reload speed is good)
At this point you can unlock the EXPERT and you will do far better in the game, it gives an INSTANT +30 SKILL in 6 parameters, like BAM!
Best way to OP crew Upgrade.png

If you want to plunk another 10 GE down for another 130 XP points, put it in this:
Best way to OP crew next step.png

Upgrading maintenance to 30% is THE best investment in Tier 1 biplane combat, much more than Pilot and Gunners.
Once you about 30% work on Pilot skills.

Even if you never plan to fly bombers, keep investing in gunners so you get higher Crew Levels to EXPERT higher tier aircraft.
Just don't add "more Gunners".

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
To be very clear:

War Thunder is not a "wallet warrior" game, every upgrade can be earned by playing in the game, A LOT (benefits of spending real $$ not overwhelming, as in other games)
There are many competitions and special events that can also EARN GOLD EAGLES,
so it is possible to get everything in game without spending a dime.

Those with fat wallets can simply max out a unit (and crew) faster, but anyone who budgets their game earnings (SL and RP) can do quite well in a reasonable time.

If one wants a quick start in WT, $6 for 1000 GE will get you a great start for cheap (compared to most other games).

For a little more starting boost consider one of the special package offers, one of the $20 single aircraft Advance Pack will get :
  • One special airplane (4 to chose from)
  • 2000 GE
  • Week of Premium (worth 500 GE?)

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
To be very clear:

War Thunder is not a "wallet warrior" game, every upgrade can be earned by playing in the game, A LOT.

Those with fat wallets can simply max out a unit (and crew) faster, but anyone who budgets their game earnings (SL and RP) can do quite well in a reasonable time.

I'd dispute that. I played it a while ago, and the grind seemed just as bad as World of Tanks although the game itself isn't as good.

I guess it depends on what you consider a 'reasonable' amount of time, but I think the trend for giving new players the weakest equipment and expecting them to suffer many joyless hours to earn something better is modern gaming's cheapest trick.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm not sure why I would pay lots of IAP dollars to beta test a game. But whatever. I'll look into this game once the Mac version is 'released' and no longer in beta status. The in-game graphics does look nice.

I sure hope it will support joysticks/flightsticks for OSX.

Mike5

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Where is the MAC client? Care to provide a link?
Is it a wine wrapper or a native OSX client?

It is native OSX client.
To get the game:

1. Create an account at http://www.warthunder.com/
2. Download Mac launcher from this link:
http://yupmaster.gaijinent.com/launcher/current.php?id=CEFLauncherMac

And just run it, wait for the remaining game files to download, then start the game.

3. If you have any problems running the game see the following post and follow instructions:
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/56254-mac-os-beta-test/page-80#entry1524261

Useful information:
- Game currently doesn't work on Mac OS X 10.7
- Game works in new Mac OS X 10.9
- Joysticks and TrackIR don't work
- Game sometimes freezes in arcade more

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I'd dispute that. I played it a while ago, and the grind seemed just as bad as World of Tanks although the game itself isn't as good.

I guess it depends on what you consider a 'reasonable' amount of time, but I think the trend for giving new players the weakest equipment and expecting them to suffer many joyless hours to earn something better is modern gaming's cheapest trick.

First off there is no weapon only available for cash. Everything can be earned for free.

Second the game usually groups players by similar type/performance. Usually the beginner will not face an overpowered established player.

----------

It is native OSX client.
To get the game:

And just run it, wait for the remaining game files to download, then start the game.

3. If you have any problems running the game see the following post and follow instructions:
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/56254-mac-os-beta-test/page-80#entry1524261

Useful information:

Thanks!

Lost track of where it was.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
To be very clear:

War Thunder is not a "wallet warrior" game, every upgrade can be earned by playing in the game, A LOT.

If one wants a quick start in WT, $6 for 1000 GE will get you a great start for cheap (compared to most other games).

For a little more starting boost consider one of the special package offers, one of the $20 single aircraft Advance Pack will get :
  • One special airplane (4 to chose from)
  • 2000 GE
  • Week of Premium (work 500 GE?)

I assume that this is a persistent world. Will it just be planes in the air and tanks on the ground and I assume anti-air batteries on the ground too? Or will aircraft be expected and needed to provide protection for ground units?

For a comparison with World of Tanks, crews may be upgraded with either earned silver, or pay $ for 100% basic training. Other crew training options must be earned. All upgrades for tanks must be earned with xp (experience) in that tank, (with a smaller amount of free xp that is generated and can be applied anywhere), although gold (paid with $) can be converted to the in-game currency (silver) for the purpose of buying an upgrade after it has first been earned with xp. This is separate from "premium" tanks which are purchased outright, but don't sit in any line of tank progression.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I assume that this is a persistent world. Will it just be planes in the air and tanks on the ground and I assume anti-air batteries on the ground too? Or will aircraft be expected and needed to provide protection for ground units?

For a comparison with World of Tanks, crews may be upgraded with either earned silver, or pay $ for 100% basic training. Other crew training options must be earned. All upgrades for tanks must be earned with xp (experience) in that tank, (with a smaller amount of free xp that is generated and can be applied anywhere), although gold (paid with $) can be converted to the in-game currency (silver) for the purpose of buying an upgrade after it has first been earned with xp. This is separate from "premium" tanks which are purchased outright, but don't sit in any line of tank progression.

No, it is ARENA style combat (despite what WT says, it is NOT a true MMO).

Up to 32 spawn in (16 / side), play up to 1 hour, match finished.

Their are "special" aircraft, but nothing I would call "premium".
Most of the specials are aircraft from other countrie used in a sides force (ie: Zero-sen in USAAF, Wellington in LW, Japanese with Corsair, etc)

Not sure about how armor will be involved, have to see.

The only game I have seen that truly matches what you look for (and is Mac native) is World War 2 Online.

----------

Game over man.

Thanks for the info though.

The PC version does support sticks, not sure when that fully supported on Mac. Problem is no peripheral maker offers strong Mac support. :mad:

HOWEVER
on the PC side, playing with a mouse is easier then a stick.
I know, dumb, but that's how they do it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is native OSX client.
To get the game:

Useful information:

Joysticks don't work? Folderol!! Is that a glitch or is that how it is on the PC side to? If the latter then it does not appear worthy to waste my time on.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Joysticks don't work? Folderol!! Is that a glitch or is that how it is on the PC side to? If the latter then it does not appear worthy to waste my time on.

PC side DOES support sticks.

Mac WILL / DOES support sticks!

Right not it has some serious bugs, some sticks will not be seen, other it will. Not sure when the issues will be resolved.

Mike5

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Edinburgh
As the OP said - playing with a mouse is easier than with joystick. Seriously - it is the way the game was designed. At least in my humble opinion. And most of the time I use my Saitek yoke to play flight simulator called X-Plane.

Secondly - we are talking about BETA, not a full version of the game. There is no official joystick support on Mac as yet, although PC version does support joysticks, therefore we can expect it some time on the future. Unfortunately, the Mac version is lagging behind and is not as frequently updated as the Mac one.

Thirdly - it actually is possible to use joysticks as well as other controllers, eg. PlayStation controllers, with the Mac version, although it requires some tinkering with the game's settings etc.

Having said all that - War Thunder is probably the only flying game in history that is more playable with mouse than a joystick.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Playing....

No problems or crashes for me...only an average of 15/20 FPS less then the Bootcamp/Win7 counterpart on the same hardware (OSX 10.8.5 - MacPro 5.1 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7950 3GB)...

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
33% sale on all non-premium aircraft!
13% off on premium
(yes, based on Russia's 33 total Olympic medals, 13 of which are gold)

Can save a lot of $$$!

Every once in while they offer discounts on Crew Training, so you don't have to pay for CT, just wait for the special.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I couldn't get the mac version to work no matter what i tried, and I trawled through all 100+ pages on the topic in the forum.

It always froze during loading once I clicked play on the launcher. :/
Called it quits after 3 days, and now I'll just go play World of Tanks some more.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I couldn't get the mac version to work no matter what i tried, and I trawled through all 100+ pages on the topic in the forum.

It always froze during loading once I clicked play on the launcher. :/
Called it quits after 3 days, and now I'll just go play World of Tanks some more.

Did you post a bug report with system specs?

These guys are new to Mac, and are not as big as some game studios.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Playing....

No problems or crashes for me...only an average of 15/20 FPS less then the Bootcamp/Win7 counterpart on the same hardware (OSX 10.8.5 - MacPro 5.1 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7950 3GB)...

How much is the actual Mac FPS? Like at least 30-35? I'm curious.

You only quoted a relative FPS saying "15 FPS less than with Bootcamp"

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Barely playable, around 25/30 FPS at medium/high setting.

That's with OSX 10.8, even less FPS with 10.9.2.

Actually, in bootcamp performances are even better than I stated before, I updated AMD GPU drivers to the last beta and now i get full 60+ FPS at max setting...

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This years April Fools patch is a GIANT killer snail, kinda like their logo!

It is on the Dev(eloper) version, not main. Setting up takes a few steps but is not hard.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Gaijin has released an Mac client will full official support for install problems.

See first post for link to get free account.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is a game, the FM is not accurate and lots of rough edges, HOWEVER it is fun for the casual and serious alike. To that end it can be played well with a MOUSE!

For those who may not know FM = flight model. If this is an arcade game, I would not be interested. Examples: point the nose up and climb forever, pull into max turn rate and bleed minimal speed, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.