Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rinz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I will be going to Tokyo in a few months, and am considering picking up a MacBook Pro with retina display given the huge cost difference between Japan and the UK.

I found this post from a few years ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/901843/ , which I found encouraging.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to what my chances are of getting MacBook with a UK keyboard in a retail store in Tokyo are? I think I would be willing to compromise on a US keyboard for the lower price tag, but a UK keyboard would be ideal.

The Japanese apple store website will ship with a UK keyboard, but this is with English instructions whereas JIS and US are with Japanese instructions... So my gut feeling tells me that if I'm lucky my options will be JIS or US only in retail stores. Does anyone have any insight on this?

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I was there last year and bought an iMac, but did look at the macbooks

You won't be able to get a UK keyboard in stores, it was International English keyboards only - other than japanese

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I just came back from Tokyo having bought a new Macbook Pro there. You won't get a UK keyboard, you'll have to go US. But to be fair there really isn't much difference apart from the # key being where the £ needs to be. If you set up in the O.S. to be a UK keyvoard with # will register as £, unless you also hold down the Alt+Ctl+3 to get #.

Doesnt bother me that much.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
We always buy our large apple purchases in Thailand for the same reason, and my current MBA has a Thai/International keyboard and I never bother changing the OS, it's actually really easily to get used to the minor differences.

The apple store in Newcastle (England) did say they could swap my keyboard for an English one for £50 if is wanted (before I bought it and was chatting to the store staff about my plans)

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Only the other week, I went to a bunch of stores, only a few had US keyboards in stock in addition to Japanese keyboards. No one had UK keyboards, not even the Apple Store I visited (they said that neither they nor any other store in Japan have UK keyboards). I had to get it online (you can call up as well), but it will take about a week to deliver as it comes straight from China. I just picked one up. I ordered it on the 24th, and received it on the 30th.

The manual (or Quick Start Guide pamphlet, to be exact) isn't much of a deal breaker if it's in Japanese. Do you really need a guide in English to tell you where the USB ports are, and how to use basic software like Safari? How long will you be in Japan for? If you're only here for a week, I'd recommend ordering it just before you get here, and have it posted to the hotel.

----------

If you're willing to get a Japanese keyboard, there are bigger savings to be had. Have a look at this:
http://kakaku.com/pc/mac-note-pc/

Rinz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I'm willing to compromise on having a US keyboard, and you pretty much confirmed what I expected - macs in Japan cannot be bought with UK keyboards.

@x5tuu - that's interesting. I'm from Newcastle, was this a MacBook they said they'd replace the keyboard for?

@DragonJade - I'd considered ordering online, but it all seems very risky. I'm in Tokyo for 8 days so I would definitely have to order it before I arrive/check into my hotel. I also wouldn't have a room number at that stage either. I would need to check that my hotel would accept the delivery.

While Japanese keyboards did appeal to me on some level, the way I will use it for my work (programming) would make typing difficult, particularly single quotes and maybe a few other things. However I had looked elsewhere, and I've always been under the impression that it's expected you will attempt to haggle in stores like bic camera. I'm just not sure how well I would manage with that from a language perspective haha

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
While Japanese keyboards did appeal to me on some level, the way I will use it for my work (programming) would make typing difficult, particularly single quotes and maybe a few other things.

I agree. I am occasionally forced to deal with Japanese keyboards here and I hate it. After 20 years of living here, I still find myself hunting for an apostrophe or, as you mentioned, single quotes.

However I had looked elsewhere, and I've always been under the impression that it's expected you will attempt to haggle in stores like bic camera. I'm just not sure how well I would manage with that from a language perspective haha

There are English speaking staff available now in all of the big stores in Akihabara. They mostly deal with the massive influx of Chinese tourists nowadays, but I don't think you'll have any problems finding someone to bargain with. ;)

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just learn typing blind, then it does not matter.
Only difference is the Return key. UK has a vertical one, US is a horizontal one.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Just learn typing blind, then it does not matter.
Only difference is the Return key. UK has a vertical one, US is a horizontal one.

Um, no, that's not the only difference. There's a key to the left of the Z key on the UK keyboard, whereas the US just have one big shift key, for a start.

loookez

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
Hi guys. I'm also interested in purchasing a MacBook in Japan. I have translated the checkout page for the Japanese Apple Store and it seems that they do not ship to hotels.

Has anyone successfully ordered from there before?

In my case, I can't buy it at the local store because I want a custom configuration.

Thank you

aussieinjapan

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
actually living in Japan

Just go to one of the apples stores either in:

Shibuya, Ginza or omotesando

and pick one up there.

If you are a tourist, why bother ordering online ??

MBP*

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
I will be going to Tokyo in a few months, and am considering picking up a MacBook Pro with retina display given the huge cost difference between Japan and the UK.

I found this post from a few years ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/901843/ , which I found encouraging.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to what my chances are of getting MacBook with a UK keyboard in a retail store in Tokyo are? I think I would be willing to compromise on a US keyboard for the lower price tag, but a UK keyboard would be ideal.

The Japanese apple store website will ship with a UK keyboard, but this is with English instructions whereas JIS and US are with Japanese instructions... So my gut feeling tells me that if I'm lucky my options will be JIS or US only in retail stores. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Perhaps I should wait until going there too then, what sort of savings are there roughly?

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Hi guys. I'm also interested in purchasing a MacBook in Japan. I have translated the checkout page for the Japanese Apple Store and it seems that they do not ship to hotels.

Has anyone successfully ordered from there before?

In my case, I can't buy it at the local store because I want a custom configuration.

Thank you

You can call up and speak to someone in English about placing an order.
0120-993-993

----------

Just go to one of the apples stores either in:

Shibuya, Ginza or omotesando

and pick one up there.

If you are a tourist, why bother ordering online ??

The poster said that s/he wanted a custom config, and they may be going somewhere in Japan that's nowhere near an Apple store.

loookez

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
I've been trying to call this number for a long time but I haven't found a way to do so.

Skype only calls toll free numbers from the US and I can't dial this number as an international one.

My hotel said they accept deliveries so I think I'll go ahead, order online and hope for the best.

You can call up and speak to someone in English about placing an order.
0120-993-993

----------

The poster said that s/he wanted a custom config, and they may be going somewhere in Japan that's nowhere near an Apple store.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
I've been trying to call this number for a long time but I haven't found a way to do so.

Skype only calls toll free numbers from the US and I can't dial this number as an international one.

My hotel said they accept deliveries so I think I'll go ahead, order online and hope for the best.

Sorry for the late reply. Did you order it? How did it go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.