Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'm thinking of getting a Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer, and was wondering if anyone here who uses it can give me a review?

I have a Sony A99 camera, a 15" 2013 rMBP running Mac OS X 10.9.1 and Aperture if that makes a difference.

I mainly do nature digital photography. I'd like to expand to architecture & urban photography.

I'm open to different kinds of paper. I usually do glossy paper, but might expand as I become more familiar with the printer. What kind of paper does the Pixma do really well and what kinds of paper should I avoid with it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a Cannon Pixmar, but just a small A4 all in one. Works really well with a variety of papers. If you use the correct profile for the paper you are using you shouldn't have any issues. I use Tecco papers. Their Lustre mostly.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I'm thinking of getting a Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer, and was wondering if anyone here who uses it can give me a review?

I have a Sony A99 camera, a 15" 2013 rMBP running Mac OS X 10.9.1 and Aperture if that makes a difference.

I mainly do nature digital photography. I'd like to expand to architecture & urban photography.

I'm open to different kinds of paper. I usually do glossy paper, but might expand as I become more familiar with the printer. What kind of paper does the Pixma do really well and what kinds of paper should I avoid with it?

First I will say, welcome to the Canon printer club. Once you learn the printer, you should like it and what it can do. Lots of trial and error have got me some pretty sweet results.

I am one of the other people Apple fanboy mentioned with the Pro 1 & Pro 100. My best advice is stay away from cheap papers. I have printed on most photo papers and have had very good results. Have printed on some offset stocks as well with success, both text and cover weights. Have yet to find a matte or dull stock that works well. Only matte photo paper which has a different surface than matte text or cover stock.

Make sure it is copier stock. By this I mean, specifically designed for printers and not for printing presses. Some stocks are designed for laser printers, some for inkjet printers and some for printing presses. A lot of people are not aware of this and then run into problems. I am fortunate to work for a printing company, so I can try many different stocks at no cost to me, just ink.

Some papers you can use for this printer will have ICC profile available on their websites for download to use specifically with their paper. The printer come with a very good supply of ICC profiles. Try different ones to see the results you get.

If you require any updates to the drivers or software, I suggest going directly to Canons website, search up the printer and download the updates from there. Canon is very good at keeping their site up to date with that stuff.

I use Precision Colors for my ink supplies and do my own refills. Their inks work well and can save you money if you use a lot. They also have chip resetters for clearing the chips on the ink carriages.

Search out some of the other threads on MacRumors about this printer. Some valuable info by other members well worth reading.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'll be taking a look at the Canon offering for these larger printers fairly soon. I admit in the past I only worked with Epson large printers - the prosumer models.

I prefer pigment over dye.
Heads/nozzles that don't get fouled up quickly.
Larger ink cartridges and fairly priced (like that is going to happen)
quality b/w work with ability to fine tune

The above are some of the criteria I'll have this year when I shop for a new printer. My guess is I'll be looking at the Canon line mentioned, Epson 3xxx and above, as well as HP's higher end offerings (probably used).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Never had a Canon printer clog. Never had to change between two different black cartridges to make a print.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Thanks for the insights everyone!

The above are some of the criteria I'll have this year when I shop for a new printer. My guess is I'll be looking at the Canon line mentioned, Epson 3xxx and above, as well as HP's higher end offerings (probably used).

The school I work at has an HP Designjet Z2100 and it is amazing! Had a problem with a 3rd party ink cartridge, but just had to replace the ink cartridge & printer head. Little expensive, but still far from getting a whole new printer. My only issue with HPs is how few paper companies have ICC profiles for them. If they do have HP profiles, it's only for a handful.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The only two brands of ink jets I hear mentioned for art prints is Canon or Epson. I remember folks used to use HP for printing out blue prints or CAD drawings.

iancheyne

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Colleyville, TX
I have a Pro 9500 which is the immediate predecessor to the Pro One. Great prints but it clogs nozzles if you leave it more than a few days, especially the Yellow for some reason; sometimes it will not clear no matter how many times you run the deep cleaning cycle.

I think I'm going to replace it at some point with an Epson as I'm told they just do not clog nozzles. Canon has cost me a fortune in ink just because of clogging so I'm off to pastures new ... now if only I had the money handy :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a Pro 9500 which is the immediate predecessor to the Pro One. Great prints but it clogs nozzles if you leave it more than a few days, especially the Yellow for some reason; sometimes it will not clear no matter how many times you run the deep cleaning cycle.

I think I'm going to replace it at some point with an Epson as I'm told they just do not clog nozzles. Canon has cost me a fortune in ink just because of clogging so I'm off to pastures new ... now if only I had the money handy :D

Do you leave it powered on or turned off? Try leaving it switched on 24/7 and see if you get as many clogs.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Had 9500II for years. Never left it on. Never any problem with clogs or any other problem. The same goes the Pro-100 we have had for almost a year and the pro-1 we have had for 4 months. Yesterday I fired up the Pro-1 which had been off for a couple of weeks and made a fantastic color print on A3 mat paper.

Can not recommend Canon Pixma Pro series printers enough. Get them on ebay new for around half of MSRP. The same goes for Canon ink.

IvanOz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
Experience with YUPO OCTOPUS paper

Make sure it is copier stock. By this I mean, specifically designed for printers and not for printing presses. Some stocks are designed for laser printers, some for inkjet printers and some for printing presses. A lot of people are not aware of this and then run into problems. I am fortunate to work for a printing company, so I can try many different stocks at no cost to me, just ink.

I appreciate that this is an old post and perhaps everyone has moved on. I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with, or knowledge of, printing on the Japanese Synthetic Paper called YUPO OCTOPUS AQUEOUS INKJET using the Canon Pro-1 or other printer using the LUCIA inkset? TIA.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I appreciate that this is an old post and perhaps everyone has moved on. I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with, or knowledge of, printing on the Japanese Synthetic Paper called YUPO OCTOPUS AQUEOUS INKJET using the Canon Pro-1 or other printer using the LUCIA inkset? TIA.

Unfortunately I have not had any experience with this synthetic paper yet on my Canons. It is a fairly new stock on the market. I have used it in an offset application only (Komori 40" Press) and can tell you it is one of the better synthetic stocks I have worked with. We use it for producing large labels.

Yes it can be use in both offset and inkjet. Just be careful when choosing Yupo stock. There are several types. Four that I believe will work with both inkjets and offset. The rest are designed for offset or gravure printing. And some for silkscreen. Wish I could have have been more help on the Canon side of things for you.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world

I have this exact printer, here is a good review
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_pro-1.html

Cheers
LaForge

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Any comments on the Pro-10? I came across a Pro-10 for a very good pice and plan on picking it up on Friday. I love the Pro-1 but really like the extra features that the Pro-10 offers (mainly WIFI and AirPrint, my wife really wants AirPrint for 4x6 prints). About the only thing that has me hesitating on the Pro-10 is that I love the high volume ink cartridges on the Pro-1. Thoughts?

IvanOz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
Experience with YUPO OCTOPUS paper

Unfortunately I have not had any experience with this synthetic paper yet on my Canons. It is a fairly new stock on the market. I have used it in an offset application only (Komori 40" Press) and can tell you it is one of the better synthetic stocks I have worked with. We use it for producing large labels.

Yes it can be use in both offset and inkjet. Just be careful when choosing Yupo stock. There are several types. Four that I believe will work with both inkjets and offset. The rest are designed for offset or gravure printing. And some for silkscreen. Wish I could have have been more help on the Canon side of things for you.

Thanks firedept for your prompt reply. Yes, I was aware of the different stock types. I've read elsewhere that the aqueous inkjet version of Yupo Octopus is not suitable for "domestic" inkjets, but it seems to me that the LUCIA Pigment inkset is possibly the same as used in Canon's commercial wide format machines. I just can't seem to get confirmation of this from Canon or anyone else. Just have to keep on asking. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.