Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
WTF I thought the whole point was to be able to use iTunes Radio over Airplay like Bose or other systems?!?!

I found this support link and it says I need an audio cable and ethernet cable!!!

Hardly wireless!!

HELP!!

I will return this Sonos system tonight if this is bunk.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
WTF I thought the whole point was to be able to use iTunes Radio over Airplay like Bose or other systems?!?!

I found this support link and it says I need an audio cable and ethernet cable!!!

Hardly wireless!!

HELP!!

Airplay will only work with a play5 and a Airport Express connected, sonos app has radio in it and this phone, so unless you want to play something off inet or youtube you don't need airplay. We have 3 play 5's sub and 2 play 3's and don't use airplay.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Airplay will only work with a play5 and a AE, sonos app has radio in it and this phone, so unless you want to play something off inet or youtube you don't need airplay.
Huh? I have 2 Play 1's and the Bridge. I also have iTunes Radio on iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

How do I listen to iTunes Radio via Sonos? I can't !!!! Sonos sucks balls. Good thing the store is down the street!!

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Huh? I have 2 Play 1's and the Bridge. I also have iTunes Radio on iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

How do I listen to iTunes Radio via Sonos? I can't !!!! Sonos sucks balls. Good thing the store is down the street!!

itunes radio sucks balls, you don't need it with sonos:)

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
itunes radio sucks balls, you don't need it:)
Yeah don't think so. Plus my single Apple ID has all my stations. Everything is set.

Looks like I'll be buying Bose or other true Airplay system instead of Sonos.

Not to mention I want to stream Apple TV audio to the same wireless speakers and that also won't happen with Sonos. (at least by default)

EDIT: AND.... If you can't get Pandora or whatever in your region, you're ****ED!!!

EDIT: OMG, this thing can't even get Pandora , Spotify etc. Nothing. Only local radio stations. Haha what a Fn joke Sonos is.

Last edited:

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Yeah don't think so. Plus my single Apple ID has all my stations. Everything is set.

Not to mention I want to stream Apple TV audio to the same wireless speakers and that also won't happen with Sonos. (at least by default)

EDIT: AND.... If you can't get Pandora or whatever in your region, you're ****ED!!!

EDIT: OMG, this thing can't even get Pandora , Spotify etc. Nothing. Only local radio stations. Haha what a Fn joke Sonos is.

The Sonos website specifically mentions Pandora and Spotify, among others.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Well its not happening if your country doesn't have it ;) I sign in to iTunes Radio USA from Canada because it's so easy to create an account. But for the others it's a pain and I like iTunes Radio much more. Plus I want Airplay for Apple TV etc.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
And that is a Sonos limitation?
Doesn't matter. Nothing will play via Airplay anyway without the NON bridge Airport Express hack (can't use regular internet wifi with the AEB) or you need another hack via Play 5.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

And amongst other things it specifically states that in order to use anything Airplay, it is using an Airport Express. Sonos does not claim to be a AirPlay device out of the box. In fact, they don’t even claim to be compatible with iTunes Radio or Airplay. They explicitly state that in their FAQ

A quick check on their website shows a bunch of compatible audio sources. iTunes radio is not listed as one of them.

I fail to see how anybody could think that the whole point of the Sonos system is for iTunes radio or Airplay - 2 features that are neither advertised on their site. They advertise wireless music. They are very specific about what internet services they support. iTunes Radio is not supported and I don’t see it happening without support of Apple (good luck). The only other way is though Airplay, which Sonos doesn’t advertise it as either.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
And amongst other things it specifically states that in order to use anything Airplay, it is using an Airport Express. Sonos does not claim to be a AirPlay device out of the box. In fact, they don’t even claim to be compatible with iTunes Radio or Airplay. They explicitly state that in their FAQ

A quick check on their website shows a bunch of compatible audio sources. iTunes radio is not listed as one of them.

I fail to see how anybody could think that the whole point of the Sonos system is for iTunes radio or Airplay - 2 features that are neither advertised on their site. They advertise wireless music. They are very specific about what internet services they support. iTunes Radio is not supported and I don’t see it happening without support of Apple (good luck). The only other way is though Airplay, which Sonos doesn’t advertise it as either.

The OP didn't do his homework and now is blaming Sonos, i have Sonos and Bose systems. Sonos wins hands down.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

Are you in high school by chance?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Hardly wireless!!

HELP!!

Stick with Apple ecosystem for high quality audio streaming and convenient flexibility,

ada4yvad.jpg

AppleTV is obvious.

Den, is a Pioneer receiver and full system, that the AppleTV is plugged into, redundant, but means I don't need to be burning tv power. Also toggles over to the airplay input automatically when triggered.

Bedroom is a Pioneer, x-smc3. Works good, downside is old 802.11g only, so I have to run my old linksys ddwrt with hidden ssid just for it, to keep from dragging down rest of N network.

Study is an airport express, plugged into Logitech speakers 2.1 input. They have computer input and line-in input so computer and airport express can seemlessly share.

Patio is an airport express, old handed down amp of my grandfathers similar to http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...81053_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1394976747&sr=1-8, and some bookshelf speakers.

All sorts of different option ideas for you just in my setup alone. Some are better than others.

Den is fantastic, but $$$
Study is inexpensive and does great.
Patio is a little pricy, but fantastic.
Bedroom I got on clearance, cheap, but gets distortion with much volume. Not good for much beyond light background thinking/sleeping music.

Last gen. airport express on clearance/refurb can save you dough.

wrx09md

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013

Hardly wireless!!
You obviously did not do enough research. I have two Play 5's and they are great. Do everything I could ask for and more. I can play my hifi audio from my laptop and the app is great. Piss poor planning on your part.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

Hardly wireless!!

HELP!!

No, that's not "the whole point." Why did you think that in the first place? And why on earth would you include "DO NOT BUY IT!! WARNING" in the title of your post if the product does what it's intended to do (and, by the way, what it's advertised to do) just fine? This is buyer error, plain and simple.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
So no iTunes Match nor iTunes Radio can be streamed to any Sonos?
What are the work arounds?

Is it better to have two Sonos 5, or two Sonos 3 + Sub?
I like the portability potential to move them around the house.

Or the AMP + 2 speakers + Sub?

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

applemike68

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I'm not sure what is going on here, I have 2 play 5's, 2 play 3's, 1 play one and playbar and sub. I can stream pandora, spotify etc.. To all sonos equipment. I use iTunes on a network drive which I can stream to all of my sonos equipment. Other than not having iTunes Radio which pandora performs just as well the sonos is a great wireless solution.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I guess you can stream iTunes Radio to an airport express (or any equivalent) and plug the aux input of any other sonos?

I passed on the Sonos for the moment and will get a Griffin Twenty instead to connect a couple speakers and a sub woofer.

Later when I have the funds and hopefully the sonos will lower its price I am planning on acquiring some speakers.

rbcp

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I feel I must jump in here to defend Sonos. I have had the system for several years and think it is by far the best thing going. I have 9 Sonos zones in 2 homes and am 100% pleased. While some other brands are making progress now, Sonos has been the leader in this space for a long time.

I will admit that I have not really tried to use airplay, because I don't have a need to. I listen to my music library, SiriusXM, and spotify via sonos all controlled by my iPad, iPhone, or iMac.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
This bad thread should be in the wasteland. OP didn't buy a product that was advertised to do what he/she needed, end of story.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Sonos is very clear on their website about needing an AE to access Airplay.

Sonos has been the best thing going for a long time. I hope BlueSound gives it a run for the money, but as of now it's not even close.

OP needs to go get him an Airplay speaker and be happy.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I found this support link and it says I need an audio cable and ethernet cable!!

Hey thank you for your warning about Sonos not being able to Airplay. I was not aware of this! I asked the support and they confirmed it. Their website is not very clear on this subject. At least not the german version or you have to read the small print. So you saved me lots of cash and frustration. :)

I was googling for the best airplay speakers and home theater solution and Sonos is always near the top of the lists. Unfortunately I need the real Airplay and not some Sonos app because I too would like to use iTunes Radio when it gets released over here. And using Airport Express is not a solution as it is something I already do and want to replace.

Anybody has some recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.