Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albireo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Since January, my MAC Mail has not received incoming messages on two email accounts. iCloud works and another GMail account works fine. This is on a MAC running Mavericks. I can access the accounts through my iPhone 5 no problem, all with the same email settings. I've gone over all that ad-nauseum, as well as had our ISP support on the phone as well. They've been no help.
It seems to point towards a problem on my MAC. Symptoms are:

* incoming mesages have been blocked permanently, as of Jan 7.
* incoming server reports password errors.

I've tried going off-line/on-line with no luck. I've also installed Postbox and it also has the same problem. I'm thinking it may be using the password keychain and that's where the problem lies.

Help!

Rob

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Since January, my MAC Mail has not received incoming messages on two email accounts. iCloud works and another GMail account works fine. This is on a MAC running Mavericks. I can access the accounts through my iPhone 5 no problem, all with the same email settings. I've gone over all that ad-nauseum, as well as had our ISP support on the phone as well. They've been no help.
It seems to point towards a problem on my MAC. Symptoms are:

* incoming mesages have been blocked permanently, as of Jan 7.
* incoming server reports password errors.

I've tried going off-line/on-line with no luck. I've also installed Postbox and it also has the same problem. I'm thinking it may be using the password keychain and that's where the problem lies.

Who is hosting the troublesome email accounts? Are they set up as IMAP, POP or Exchange?

albireo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Mail problem

My ISP is Comcast.

The GMail account is set up as IMAP. It works fine.
The two email accounts for me and my wife are set up as POP accounts and they both have this problem.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
My ISP is Comcast.

The GMail account is set up as IMAP. It works fine.
The two email accounts for me and my wife are set up as POP accounts and they both have this problem.

Do you have 2 step verification enabled on Gmail? If you do, you need to create an app specific password for your mail app.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
My ISP uses Yahoo Mail Servers so it does not work to well with Mac Mail. It keeps asking for the password, so I changed over to Thunderbird and never looked back..

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Having two devices accessing POP email can be problematic, although it doesn't explain authentication problems.

Is it possible that the iPhone is getting the mail and marking it as "downloaded" at the server causing the Mac Mail app to skip the messages?

I also have a Comcast email address that seems to work fine with Mail (when I add the account). Mavericks mail automatically determined the correct settings.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Maybe I can help with the Comcast mail. Mine works fine via Mac Mail.
1) Check that the Authentication is set to Password on the Advanced tab.
2) Incoming mail server = mail.comcast.net
3) User name is NOT your full email address, just the first part (no @comcast.net)

Does any of that help? Also, what is the other POP account type?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I just found out that you can set up IMAP for Comcast. You have to sign up then manually configure the account. I'll post links if there is interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.