Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffreyabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
The last two days, i've noticed my iPad (iOS 6.1.2) and my iPhone (iOS 6.1) both show that I have updates for apps in the App Store, but if I enter the App Store, I get a message that says everything's okay. [1]

I haven't installed any tweaks since the last time everything's worked fine. I did update Maps Opener, but I couldn't see the connection. Figured I would check with you all here.

XInJ3Aw.jpg

I have tried using iCleaner, respringing, rebooting, and hard resetting. I went into AppAddict to check if I did in fact have some apps to update (on my iPhone) and I downloaded/installed one that showed up. When I went to the App Store, for a brief second, I saw the apps that would need to be updated, but then it went back to all clear.

Also, going to the Purchased tab at the top loads no apps.

Anyone familiar with this?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The last two days, i've noticed my iPad (iOS 6.1.2) and my iPhone (iOS 6.1) both show that I have updates for apps in the App Store, but if I enter the App Store, I get a message that says everything's okay. [1]

I haven't installed any tweaks since the last time everything's worked fine. I did update Maps Opener, but I couldn't see the connection. Figured I would check with you all here.

I have tried using iCleaner, respringing, rebooting, and hard resetting. I went into AppAddict to check if I did in fact have some apps to update (on my iPhone) and I downloaded/installed one that showed up. When I went to the App Store, for a brief second, I saw the apps that would need to be updated, but then it went back to all clear.

Also, going to the Purchased tab at the top loads no apps.

Anyone familiar with this?
I am. Except that my iPhone shows my purchases and downloads. I'm on iOS 6.1.

This is sheer speculation but I think what might be happening is that the Apple store is not making any more differentiation between iOS 6 and iOS 7. If there is an update it's showing a badge for it, but when you enter the app itself it recognizes that it's not an iOS 6 useable update so displays nothing in the update tab.

I am now having to scroll through my purchases/downloads to see if there are any apps showing an update button. I have four listed this way, but the only updates for them are iOS 7 versions. Which is why I speculate that the app is now just showing updates irrespective of whether it's iOS 7 or iOS 6.

Kind of annoying, but honestly, I don't think Apple's going to fix it for us.

jeffreyabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Hmm, I got similar replies on Reddit, but I don't know that the issue is the iOS6/iOS7 confusion, unless the App Store in its entirety is affected. I have never updated OPlayer since they ditched the AC3 codec a while back, so I was used to having at least 1 update at all times, but even that app doesn't show up.

That aside, is there anything else that anyone can recommend to help me get the Purchases tab to show anything on my iPhone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am. Except that my iPhone shows my purchases and downloads. I'm on iOS 6.1.

This is sheer speculation but I think what might be happening is that the Apple store is not making any more differentiation between iOS 6 and iOS 7. If there is an update it's showing a badge for it, but when you enter the app itself it recognizes that it's not an iOS 6 useable update so displays nothing in the update tab.

I am now having to scroll through my purchases/downloads to see if there are any apps showing an update button. I have four listed this way, but the only updates for them are iOS 7 versions. Which is why I speculate that the app is now just showing updates irrespective of whether it's iOS 7 or iOS 6.

Kind of annoying, but honestly, I don't think Apple's going to fix it for us.
In the early days of iOS 7 App Stores in iOS 6 (and earlier I believe) would show update badges and even actual updates for apps that were just for iOS 7 (and not compatible with versions below that). At some point I think this was addressed, but perhaps due to some glitch or something like that this kind of behavior (or some parts of it at least) is back again?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In the early days of iOS 7 App Stores in iOS 6 (and earlier I believe) would show update badges and even actual updates for apps that were just for iOS 7 (and not compatible with versions below that). At some point I think this was addressed, but perhaps due to some glitch or something like that this kind of behavior (or some parts of it at least) is back again?
I don't know. It was working normally up until about a week ago. Any updates I saw then and before were actual updates for iOS 6. iOS 7 updates were hidden.

Now it doesn't seem to matter. I still have to look in the purchases list, but if it's iOS 6 or iOS 7 there will still be an update button. It's on;y when pressing that does the recognition that you are on iOS 6 kick in and you're presented with the box that asks if you want to download the last iOS 6 version (which of course, I already have).

I did get suckered though on one app in the early iOS 7 days. The dev did not make clear that the update was for iOS 7. He even denied it was for iOS 7 when I asked about it because it wouldn't work. He found out I was jailbroken so would not give me support. This, despite the fact I had bought his app.

So…I went off and copied the last iOS 6 version off of my iPhone 3GS to my 5 and replaced the iOS 7 version. Later on it seems the dev finally admitted that the update was iOS 7 only because the requirement to be on iOS 7 finally got posted.

The dev doesn't know it, but he lost a sale on the Mac version of his app over that. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know. It was working normally up until about a week ago. Any updates I saw then and before were actual updates for iOS 6. iOS 7 updates were hidden.

Now it doesn't seem to matter. I still have to look in the purchases list, but if it's iOS 6 or iOS 7 there will still be an update button. It's on;y when pressing that does the recognition that you are on iOS 6 kick in and you're presented with the box that asks if you want to download the last iOS 6 version (which of course, I already have).

I did get suckered though on one app in the early iOS 7 days. The dev did not make clear that the update was for iOS 7. He even denied it was for iOS 7 when I asked about it because it wouldn't work. He found out I was jailbroken so would not give me support. This, despite the fact I had bought his app.

So…I went off and copied the last iOS 6 version off of my iPhone 3GS to my 5 and replaced the iOS 7 version. Later on it seems the dev finally admitted that the update was iOS 7 only because the requirement to be on iOS 7 finally got posted.

The dev doesn't know it, but he lost a sale on the Mac version of his app over that. ;)
Well, normally (aside from something going wrong or some glitch) incompatible updates/apps shouldn't even appear, but even if they do, you shouldn't be able to install them as iOS would recognize they are not compatible with the iOS version you have and bring up a message saying you need iOS 7 (or something along those lines) for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, normally (aside from something going wrong or some glitch) incompatible updates/apps shouldn't even appear, but even if they do, you shouldn't be able to install them as iOS would recognize they are not compatible with the iOS version you have and bring up a message saying you need iOS 7 (or something along those lines) for it.
Right! And yes, a box pops up when I try to update to an iOS 7 version telling me I can't. But the App store app itself still shows a badge for the update, even if that update is iOS 7 only.

But open the app and even though there is a badge, BECAUSE you are on iOS 6 the actual app update does not show in the update tab, only in the purchase list AND it shows in the purchase list whether or not the update is iOS 6 or 7.

Very odd behavior that just started about a week ago.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Right! And yes, a box pops up when I try to update to an iOS 7 version telling me I can't. But the App store app itself still shows a badge for the update, even if that update is iOS 7 only.

But open the app and even though there is a badge, BECAUSE you are on iOS 6 the actual app update does not show in the update tab, only in the purchase list AND it shows in the purchase list whether or not the update is iOS 6 or 7.

Very odd behavior that just started about a week ago.
Yeah, it was sort of like that in the early iOS 7 days, but then got resolved, and it sounds like it might be back (at least for some) again for some reason. Hopefully it'll get resolved once again sometime soon.

jeffreyabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Good to hear others are having the same issue and that I'm not alone. I'm sure it will get taken care of in the near future.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Good to hear others are having the same issue and that I'm not alone. I'm sure it will get taken care of in the near future.
Are you jailbroken? I had this exact problem on my iPhone 4S. I am on 6.1.2 and jailbroken, and it was cause by the latest update of the Cydia app "User Agent Faker", version 1.5-1. I had the phantom badge with no updates problem occurring since April 1. I knew there were updates because they were in the AppStore Purchased list. I checked my Cydia logs and found that there had been an update of User Agent Faker on April 1. When I uninstalled that, 15 app updates suddenly appeared in the AppStore. It happens even if User Agent Faker is turned off in Settings. I have emailed the developer about this but haven't heard back yet.

jeffreyabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Are you jailbroken? I had this exact problem on my iPhone 4S. I am on 6.1.2 and jailbroken, and it was cause by the latest update of the Cydia app "User Agent Faker", version 1.5-1. I had the phantom badge with no updates problem occurring since April 1. I knew there were updates because they were in the AppStore Purchased list. I checked my Cydia logs and found that there had been an update of User Agent Faker on April 1. When I uninstalled that, 15 app updates suddenly appeared in the AppStore. It happens even if User Agent Faker is turned off in Settings. I have emailed the developer about this but haven't heard back yet.

Sonofabitch...

That was it.

On both of the iPad and the iPhone, once I removed User Agent Faker, the App Store worked. I KNEW it had to be a jailbreak tool! Can't thank you enough dude. I'm currently out at a pub and the next one I drink is to you!

Internet people, man. The people that extend a hand to a stranger in the name of a common good.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sonofabitch...

That was it.

On both of the iPad and the iPhone, once I removed User Agent Faker, the App Store worked. I KNEW it had to be a jailbreak tool! Can't thank you enough dude. I'm currently out at a pub and the next one I drink is to you!

Internet people, man. The people that extend a hand to a stranger in the name of a common good.
Ah, well, if jailbroken, then certainly that itself or usually one the the tweaks is the main thing to look at when it comes to weird issues.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A follow up: To confirm User Agent Faker was the culprit, I reinstalled it and once again available app updates did not appear. Then I removed it again, and found the previous version (1.4-1, link below) at the Big Boss repository and installed that via iFile, and updates are working fine as before.

Link for User Agent Faker 1.4-1 .deb file:
http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0/useragentfaker_1.4-1.deb
Thanks for that! And a thank you to the other user who found the problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.