Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Is it in any worth it from a time/money/security stand point? I have no idea what it involves, but I like the aspect of having my own stuff on my own server.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I did if for many years and enjoyed the geek aspect of it. It was a good learning experience!!

With my internet provider (Cox Cable), hosting your own mail server requires a business internet account ... they block the ports required to receive mail on their residential accounts.

Over the years, Cox's business accounts have gotten significantly more expensive (and much slower) compared to residential accounts.

I ended up stopping because of that. I'd love to give it a shot again using OS X server (my previous experience was with Linux), but it's just too spendy for me.

Hopefully your in

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Is it in any worth it from a time/money/security stand point? I have no idea what it involves, but I like the aspect of having my own stuff on my own server.

By the time you order the appropriate networking hardware, Internet package, server, and software, it would be cheaper to go through Google's Apps for Business program. Plus, you get 15 GB of Google Drive that way too or more...

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I already have a Mac mini as a server running on a fine internet connection.

yes, that is useful but you will still need a dedicated UTM appliance, you can put one together for cheap (old pc and pfsense/untangle etc)...

check out these if you want:

http://yesdevnull.net/2013/10/os-x-mavericks-server-setting-up-mail/
http://krypted.com/guides/mavericks-server/

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/security/security-howto/31433-build-your-own-utm-with-pfsense-part-1

and also potentially this:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/secu...1406-build-your-own-ids-firewall-with-pfsense

Good luck mate :D

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Worth it? That is the part where you have to make the decision.

I've run a personal email server for years ( at least 8 now ). I've run them on a windows box and now linux.

It involves, checking a box on Mavericks server and ensuring the proper ports are open and forwarded. On linux it is only slightly more involved. Windows, I downloaded and installed a free mail server: hMailServer. It was even more involved, but had great tutorials.

Good luck.

PS. It's kinda fun and addicting, next you'll be setting up a cloud server.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Reading through that material, I have come to the conclusion that it is out of my legaue. At least, I will be spending way too much time learning about things, that I don't deem it worth it. But thank you for the reading material in any case, it really settled my question. :)

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Reading through that material, I have come to the conclusion that it is out of my legaue. At least, I will be spending way too much time learning about things, that I don't deem it worth it. But thank you for the reading material in any case, it really settled my question. :)

cheers mate,

don't give up on other things though :D

geekzero

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
A great easy way to have a full featured email server

Try http://iredmail.org/ - it gives you SpamAssassin, ClamAV, Postfix, Amavis, Roundcube webmail, lots of goodies, and it's nicely packaged to run on many OS's. I put mine in a virt so I can easily change the host OS without thinking much about hardware.

I used to roll my own with qmail and a huge set of patches and add-ons - this is a ton easier.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Reading through that material, I have come to the conclusion that it is out of my league

My balance of effort vs functionality was to run my own IMAP server. This meant that I could privately store all my email but still have access to archives from anywhere (as long as I forwarded one port to my server). I used UW-IMAP, but there are others, including one in OS X Server.

A.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I have a box in a colo and host around a hundred accounts + some other services. All this is personal, non-business related.

I can't imagine doing this any other way.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Email is about the only service I rather have a 3rd party company manage.

Why?

Because I can only afford to run a single server at my apartment. What if that server goes down? There's absolutely no redundancy.

Even if I bought 2 Mac Mini's, both on separate routers, and two ISP modems from two different ISPs that only helps slightly. Everything is still located in the same building without physical protection, proper cooling, fire prevention, etc.

With Microsoft Exchange (hosted) or RackSpace - my email is managed by enterprise grade servers in multiple locations. My email up time is practically 100%. Best of all, the $2.00 per month with Rackspace that I pay is much cheaper than the electric bill alone for 2 Mac Mini's per month. Nevermind the cost of bandwidth, infrastructure, maintenance, and support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.